The Decline of the English Language

Bob White typed, " Your verbage was dynamic even if it lacked any actual accuracy." Which prompted me to ask, "what is verbage?"

I looked in my dictionary and didn't find a listing. I looked on-line and found that it is a deliberate mispronounciation of "verbiage" to assimilate it to "garbage." What's "verbiage"? No, it doesn't mean "words," it means excessive words such as when someone explains how to read a clock when you ask what the time is.

Another misuse that gets to me is the misuse of "begs the question." What does "begs the question" mean? It doesn't mean "require the question to be asked," it means "avoiding the question." Clinton begged the question regarding having s*x with Monica Lewinski.

While I'm ranting, there's a frequent poster here who comes from the homeland of the English language whose writing are often nearly undecipherable because of his unusual manner of punctuation.

The English language is rich and powerful tool but it works best when used in the proper manner.

• 3 weeks later...

Pshh...you guys think you have hard-to-understand people here...you should see some computer game forums some time.

An example of a typical post on StarCraft-2.com:

L0Lz0rZ@!1! I pWn3d j00 1337 8u77!

That, of course, being Leet (or 1337), the primary dialect of internet speak used by illiterate idiots.

At least people here use words. We should be thankful for that much.

TA

HIja',jIyaj!

How about some Klingon's translation of Shakespeare's Hamlet or Much ADo About Nothing? http://www.kli.org/stuff/press.html

tlhIngan maH!

:)

Tamegonit Arrowman ... so what's so hard about translating "L0Lz0rZ@!1! I pWn3d j00 1337 8u77!" into "Laugh out loud, z0rZ@ili. I owned you, leet b_tt!"

... sorry, my Leet is a bit rusty! But I don't think that I wouldn't classify myself as an "illiterate idiot!" You are a scout and as a scout ... you shouldn't judge people without knowing who they are. As for me, I'm proud to be a geek (speaking leet), 'cause you can't spell geek (and leet) without a double e's (EE) :) (MSEE that is). LOL RAOTF! (laughing out loud, rolling all over the floor!)

ps: In the words of the great Vulcan "Live long and prosper!"(This message has been edited by OneHour)