There is a lot of talk about training a boy to be a man, to that end, I list a set of expectations the Troop I serve has for your perusal, comment, and entertainment. I hope I am not termed a Pip, or even a dickens for doing so:

A scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises.

Honesty is a part of his code of conduct. People can always depend on him

A scout is true to his family, friends, Scout Leaders, school,

nation, and world community.

A scout is concerned about other people. He willingly

volunteers to help others without expecting payment or reward

A scout is a friend to all.

A scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows that good manners make it easier for people to get along together

A scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not harm or kill anything without reason.

A scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than

disobey them. .

A scout looks for the bright side of life. He does

tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.

A scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for the future. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property .

A scout can face danger even if he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at him or threaten him.

A scout keeps his body and mind fit. He goes

around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community in order

A scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his

religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

Did we miss anything?

I hope you get a Scouter or another adult that your Scouts do not know to periodically come in and read over your list and make a few comments about them to the Scouts. It would take just a few minutes and it would renew the depth and the strength of those words to them.

Those are skills that are useful throughout life no matter what one does.

FB

This list didn't by any chance come from some third source did it? It sounds like something I have heard or seen before, though I could be wrong.

I know I have seen several different similar lists based on the Scout Oath and Law. Some are very good, while others aren't so good. This one seems to be pretty good.