l948 Handbook Compared to l998

I'm just dang proud to get to the end of the parade with the same number of kids we started with. You want them to march?

Actually, a couple of times when my dens have been responsible for presenting the colors, we made a stab at marching in time. I came to the conclusion that it would take more time to teach than it's worth -- with Cub-aged boys anyway. Maybe Boy Scouts can catch on a little quicker. But I don't see the value in spending 2 or 3 den meetings teaching something that isn't really part of the program.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy to hear that there is no policy against it. Thanks for the response.

I understand the policy against military-style disciplinary actions (i.e., push-ups, running laps, drilling, etc.). For what the BSA is trying to accomplish, I see no reason for that kind of stuff. Furthermore, I understand the danger that it could present in the wrong hands. However, I'd hate to see this policy be extended to all things that might be construed as military-like. The military is a noble profession. Some folks think otherwise.

I wasn't trying to quote the policy verbatim - so don't read too much into the phrase (military-style). Actually, I can't even say for a fact that the policy exists. I do know that this topic has been discussed several times before at length within this forum. Apparently my memory is failing because I thought that you and others had made reference to such a policy.

About four or five years ago, I called National to ask about it. We had a committee member for our Pack who was adamant that the boys should not much in the local parade - because it imitated the military. As memory serves (which it doesnt always do), they seemed to indicate that a policy existed that prohibited military-style discipline, but not marching or anything else.

(This message has been edited by Rooster7)