Who is Wheeler

This thread was spun from another thread.Who is this poster who quotes dead people?

Bob White said "Friends, We have been set-up. Like sheep to the shearing. Wheeler is a fake."

Is he correct?

Who do you think he/she/it is? Is he/she/it yaworski?

I think this is a highly intelligent person who is lost and loves to show off his/her/its superior knowledge!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Wheeler is a real person. While I disagree with some of his positions, I think that he is well-meaning and well-informed on many points. I think that he would be more welcomed if he let his philosophical and Scriptural knowledge inform his own discussions rather than bulk-quoting in response to anything. He has brought up some interesting points, but I think they get lost in the dramatics and overkill. I enjoyed his first couple of posts and was planning on responding with agreement and criticism where necessary, but they just kept coming too fast to bother. Now they seem more like paste-it pronouncements than the thoughts of an individual. Even if Wheeler is not a current member of the BSA, I think that he could join our discussions and bring his educated insight into it. But he needs to learn about the program (in theory and practice) first and then proceed in his own words just as if he were speaking to another person. Only then will he become a welcomed and contributing member of this forum.

Those are my thoughts on the issue..

I was going to post a very witty response her, but then I went and re-read some of Wheelers posts. He has hurled insults at women and the Catholic Church. I stopped reading. Whoever he is, he isn't worth my time. I pray he'll never get a decent job, so he'll never be able to afford to actually work with youth in the BSA.

There is knowledge, the ability to recollect facts and then there is intellect, the ability to take all the things you "know" and fashion them into something useful. In Bloom's Taxonomy of Education, he ranks educational activities in the following manner, starting with the lowest level

Knowledge

Comprehension

Analysis

Synthesis

Evaluation

Knowledge is on the lowest rung because while you may "know" alot if you can't translate it into action, its worthless.

Had a French teacher in high school who was into the total immersion method. He shows up the first day speaking french and taught all the lessons in french and couldn't understand why the class was clueless over its lessons. yes, we "knew" french when it was spoken, we 'Knew" words that were french, as we remembered them from the day before, but we had no comprehension of what they meant. When the teacher started to explain in the vulgate what each word meant, the class scores went up and then we began to comprehend what was being said. After it was explained to us that Bon Jour actually meant "Good Day", we could comprehend that it was a greeting, An Analysis of the phrase Bon Jour taught us Bon meant Good and Jour meant day

(as the Soup du Jour means soup of the day) Then knowing Bon meant good and nuit meant night we could synthesize the phrase Bon Nuit or good-night. With the phrases Bon Jour and Bon Nuit in our vocabulary we could evaluate the situation and determine which of the two phrases was appropriate.

So Wheeler, the moral of the story is rather than immerse us with your abundant knowledge, why not break it down to the point where it can be comprehended, analyzed, synthesized and evaluated? Of course you are under no obligation to do any of this, but it would certainly help in getting your message out, whatever that may be.(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Reminds me of the story of the guy who had a flat tire outside the gate of an asylum. As he changed the tire, a patient watched from the other side of the fence. The guy took the lug nuts off and put them inside the hub cap. As he carried the spare around from the trunk, he kicked the hubcap, loosing all the lug nuts down a nearby drain. As the guy stood there cussin', the asylum patient said, "Why don't you take one nut off each of the other wheels and use them? That will at least get you to a service station down the road." The guy with the flat says, "Hey, that's a brilliant suggestion! But if you're so smart, what are you doing in a funny farm?" The patient replies, "Just because I'm insane doesn't mean I'm stupid!"

You all are on you own to apply that story to any other current posters as you see fit.

OGE, as I was reading the thread, I had the same thought as you did. Your post explains it much more eloquently than I would have. Regurgitating every fact, every quote, every idea you have learned on a given subject without the ability to assimilate what you have learned is useless.

A day or two a go I asked Wheeler what concrete changes he would make to the BSA program to apply his philosophy. So far he has not replied. I assume that would require an understanding of the program and an ability to formulate a plan of action.

Reaching for the squelch button......

Hey, actually I think we owe Wheeler some thanks. I think there have been more jokes, quips, little humorous remarks and other merry diversions in Issues and Politics in the past few days than in any given month of the 2 years I have been in this forum. And all directly or indirectly prompted by Wheeler's posts.

Of course, none of this funny stuff was written by Wheeler, nor was it probably appreciated as humor by him. He is too busy calling all of us "Judases" for letting gurlz into the BSA clubhouse. (As in "No gurlz allowed.")

" He shows up the first day speaking french and taught all the lessons in french"

Oddly, the language teacher at my high school that was considered the most successful was my German teacher who used the total immersion method. Only one of her students EVER heard her speaking English in over 10 years. We not only spoke German, we thought it and, frighteningly, dreamt in German. When I went to college, I was given nine credits of German by exam.

I don't know if this approaches what some would call a "Wheelerism", but here goes.

Reading the immersion comments regarding foreign langauges makes me wonder how much we could accomplish in our educational system if our teachers used the immersion system to teach English...

KS

Hops, that crack about the car was priceless, I am sure thats what Mr Pounder was referencing. NJCubScouter, thank you for your true scouting spirit showing that there is good in everyone, even if its only comic relief.

Hot Flash I just heard ABC is going to do a a 2 hour special on Wheelism and its proponents, Wheelists, the hostess of the program will of course be the iconic Baba Wawa