Say it ain't so!!!! Don't leave me here to represent Virginia by myself (as far as I know!)...

I didn't necessarily agree with your politics, but you serve a vital purpose here and in Scouting. You cause us to think and examine our ideals, politics and mores. I think we are a lot alike...firing for effect to stimulate discussion and lively debate. Whenever I get discouraged and depressed or overwhelmed with "cheerful service", I stop and think about why I still do this after 40 years in the movement...it's because Scouting was and is such a key part in my development and upbringing. My Dad was in the military, so he didn't always have the time to devote...but someone else's dad was always there to fill in the gaps...and that's what we do today...take care of each others' kids and make sure there's a positive role model available. I need to give back to the program in honor of the Leaders who went before us ... ignore the politics and the religious zealots and provide a quality program for the boys in your unit. "If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds." They don't care about the same things that we seem to hold so important, like having a patch out of place, Supreme Court rulings, or what the leaders do in the privacy of their bedrooms. They want to hike, camp, learn how to tie knots and pitch a tent, fry an egg, and beat the big guys at British Bulldog. We can't cure world hunger or bring all of our gay brothers to our own version of eternal salvation...that's God's job and he will do it through Grace alone, not by our rantings, ravings, insults and prayers. There's only so much we can do, so let's focus on that and do our best to leave the world a little better than we found it.

Hi Sctmom, sorry I guess I wasnt clear. My typing skills need help. Actually I thought he was talking about allowing girls in troops. And it was the suffering and humiliation being inflicted on others that I felt was inappropriate. I made no judgment on the man or his ideals, only his behavior. We can be all kinds of people with all kinds of ideas, ideals and feelings, but it's our behavior that people see. That may not be important in many programs, but it's most important in the BSA. Our program is supported on the pillars of mentoring and role modeling of behavior. We talk about the bad example of smoking, drinking, cursing and even the way we dress. Is how we disagree with each other no less important?

The average person between the age of 10 and 15 learn about 85% of their behavior from what they see from others around them. How you act in front of your scouts is so much more important than what you say.

Le Voyageur appears so frustrated by the BSA policies that I feel his words were intended to hurt those who disagreed. Sure the BSA shows some intolerance, All organizations do to some degree. Without some kind of intolerance, we would only need one organization for everyone.

If we start flinging arrows every time we disagreed with each other, how would we ever teach patience, diplomacy, pondering of thought and compromise of actions? He could have said I disagree and choose to leave and he would he have gained my respect for it? If the BSA has done anything well, it's that they show respect to those who disagree with their policies.

All of us know of behaviors we feel are not appropriate or moral. That should not dictate the way we treat each other.

A Scout leader is a mighty powerful influence to our kids. Choose wisely.

Barry