Been pondering for awhile about ending my involvement with BSA and making this my final year. Having been with this program since 1957 it's been a tough call to think about qutting.

But, since I can longer support BSA's polices that promote both bigotry, and intolerance it's time to move on now. I'm in the process of forwarding a letter to the Council stating my reasons for leaving, and also ending my FOS payments. I've also changed my UW alloment, shifting those funds to another organization.

I hope in time that those of you who are staying the course that BSA has set for you will someday see, and feel the suffering and humilation being inflicted on others by these polices that is endorse by your memberships.

No longer YIS, my last post.....

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. I feel that you can effect change easier from within than from without.

That said, I bet your decision was made after much contemplation. When corresponding with your council, please keep the tone civil because I feel it will make a better impact. My main saving grace is that the boys don't really give a hoot about this controversy and rightly so. It should really not be a concern of theirs.

le Voyageur,

My sincerest thanks for the years of effort you have given the scouting program. I have talked with other volunteers that have come to the same conclusion. Each and every time I hear it, it profoundly saddens me. I understand your decision and wish you the best. The organization is the lesser for your departure. The bell tolls again. Did you hear it? Did you understand?

"The bell tolls again." Please. Soon you'll be comparing the BSA to NAZI Germany and their persecution of Jews. Ooops, sorry...that comparison has already been made. Norman Rockwell and Baden-Powell are probably rolling in their graves.

That's too bad, le Voyageur. I wish you could agree with the BSA on this. All would be better served if you did.

I hope in time...you will someday see, and feel the suffering and humilation being inflicted on others by these polices...

And I hope in time you'll see the fallacy of this statement. It's not BSAs policies that cause suffering and humiliation. I look forward to a day when all sinners can see that it's the choice to sin that causes their suffering and humiliation, a time when all may turn from evil, repent, and follow God.

lv,

As much as I disagree with you on two issues very important to us both, I too am sad to see us lose you.

I must protest your use of the terms bigotry and intolerance. Are you not as bigoted and intolerant in your position as you think Scouting (and those that defend) is? I'd rather believe that neither are being so ugly. Scouting's position is AT LEAST as reasonable as is yours. If yours is a reasonable position, and Scouting's position is its equal, than either both are bigoted and intolerant, or neither are.

And as one who thinks, at least in this case, that BSA is right, I take your comment personally. And it offends me. I am not bigoted, and I am only intolerant of that which I have absolute belief to be wrong, as I assume you do too.

Mark

"No man is an island intire of itselfe, every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is lesse, as well as if a promontorie were, as well as if a mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any man's death diminshes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

from

John Donne's Devotions #17

Don't you dare. This forum is not what scouting is about. Scouting is for the boys that join, not the attitudes and beliefs of those who post here.

You have too much to teach those 'younger and weaker' to walk away because of the yahoos that spout here. Do not abandon the scouts in your area that can and will benefit from your knowledge. Stay in scouting and stay the course.

I have learned much from your postings and really hope that I will have the chance to learn more.

As I have learned, as leaders we cannot walk in lockstep with strictly viewed policy. We analyze, adapt, and overcome each troop meeting as it happens.

You have too much to teach and hopefully to learn.

It seems to me that you have experienced frustration either with the BSA or opinions expressed on this forum. Frustration is difficult and it comes from a lack of power to control or change aspects of our lives. We can as individuals only control and contribute in a small and unique way.

I think you have a great deal to offer in knowledge and experience. And if you can contribute to the growth of one more boy into manhood, if you are willing to share your knowledge to those of us who are tolerant and willing to learn, then you have more influence than you may realize. Basically, I ask you to throw out the bathwater...and keep the scout.

Please

yis

le Voyageur, you have made the wrong decision to leave Scouting. I have come to find out that it is not the program that is flawed, but the people running the program that are flawed. I couple months ago I posted in this forum a plea to help Chicago Area Council in its failing program and was openly chastized for it. I was stunned and angry to be told to mind my own business. My business is the well being of all Scouting, not just my local program. It is when us as adults give up that the wrong people win. Stick with the program, it is still the best youth oriented program on the face of the Earth, and you know it is. Like someone else said in this thread, it is not about us, but about the boys and they have no interest in the politics. They just want to have fun. Shield them from the politics and you go have fun to with them.

ASM1

Eagledad, I know you are new to this board so this is not just directed at you....but is Le Voyageur the one name calling and foot stomping?

The policy is about intolerance. Most of you don't tolerate gays or anyone who does tolerate them. So that word IS called for and IS approriate!