ANOTHER new book?

Gee! I know this is a non-profit organization and they need to pay for their stuff but if I have to buy new books all the time - well it's not only expensive, but what happened to saving trees and conservationism?

Why don't they just put out the new requirements as suppliments? or make the books in 3 ring binder form and just re-issue pages as they are corrected instead of issuing whole new books? This idea is used for alot of technical, legal and employment manuals and works well.

If the point is to update the requirements for the boys and get them out - a binder format would work better, (people could copy pages as needed and save paper) and be more economical and in keeping with the conservationist teachings of scouting.

So much of BSA literature is redundant AND repetitive. They sure kill ALOT of trees!

The new BSA catalog has the changes for 2003 listed as a supplement to the 11th edition Boy Scout Handbook. My council office did not have it yet, but it is only $3.80 in the catalog.

I know what you mean about the books, though. My son is just crossing over into a troop - but the same is true for Cubs........everytime we get a program working well and get to know it, they change things around on us!! Oh well, though, I guess it keeps us on our toes! And, I will have to say, that I really like the new Tiger and Webelos programs better than the old ones!

YIS

Darlene

Webelos mom

Tiger Leader

Committee Advancement Chair

Pack 234 Lowell, IN

Some of the merit badge requirements haven't been updated in over 20 years!!

The way the merit badge books are written (having lots of info, not just the requirements), it takes BSA a long time to update each one. So they can only do a few a year.

Personally, I like the fact that they at least look at the rank requirements every year and the try to keep the merit badges up to date. The merit badge books aren't the way I would design them, but I don't run the world (at least not yet...hehehe)

Other than some new merit badge updates I have not heard of any advancement changes.

BW

PS

Don't worry about the trees. The ones used for paper manufacturing are planted and harvested as a crop for just that purpose. No one is knocking down old growth forests to make scout handbooks.

Okay, just thinking out loud. Instead of books of any kind, BSA sells Palm Pilots with the handbook, MB pamphlets, requirements book, fieldbook, JL handbooks, everything including the elusive "holy grail" National By-Laws, a site-licensed TroopMaster mobile, the star chart software, the Dutch Oven Cookbook, all loaded on it. When BSA changes requirements, a simple download will update the documents with the changes. Include a photo editor, and you have all the illustrations, too.

But wait, there's more! You can use the backlight as a nightlight in your tent, and the schedule alarm can wake you up in the morning too!

Seriously, I like the small bound books better than large 3-ring binder layouts...easier to lug on outings -- I still carry the small SM handbook. I don't mind buying a new requirements book every year...it's not that expensive and the portability and convenience is worth it.

KS