This is a spin off from the Oliver North post.

Hmmm...tough question. Politicians will be either criticized or praised for their party affiliations as well as personal lives. Actors, performers, athletes--not sure there's one that will make everyone happy. There would be those with great stories to tell who would be wonderful, but would they draw the big numbers and/or money? I'm thinking of the hero stories in Boys' Life--great stories to promote the BSA are found in these young men. This is a tough call, for those who would clearly be pro-BSA without a platform of some sort would be also lesser known than those who would have either a platform or a story that is inconsistent with Scouting. Thought-provoking question, Dan, and I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

Well dan, you can't always account for "someone." Someone could say anything. But I think you could identify people who would not raise legitimate questions.

As I said in the other thread, an actual elected official or other public official, even though they are of one party or the other, would be an appropriate choice if they keep their remarks to "general statesmanship" and how the BSA is great because it encourages citizenship and self-reliance, or similar themes. Someone who is a hero for actions outside the political realm, such as an astronaut for example, could not draw any plausible objection (unless they suddenly decide to start spouting partisan rhetoric, of course.) (Of course there are also heroic firefighters, police officers etc. but I think this discussion is about "nationally known" figures and not people who are notable mainly on a local scale.) Also a sports figure who is known for success on the field or wherever, as opposed to one whose fame is due in part to his many court appearances (and I don't mean basketball or tennis courts.)

Those are just a few ideas, not a comprehensive list.

In response to an earlier post on this thread, the question was speakers for a fund raiser, not a scouting event where youth are present in large numbers. These are distinctly different audiences.

At a fund raising event, you are targeting people with money who are inclined to support scouting, otherwise they probably wouldn't be there. You want a speaker they can relate to. I would think the best speaker at a fund raiser would be a successful business person (male or female), not a person with inherited wealth. You would want a speaker who could relate how some person influenced their lives towards greater achievement. It wouldn't even have to be a scoutmaster, but a teacher or a coach could be the source of that influence.

I think there are a wide range of individuals that could speak and not be controversial. Athletes, actors, entertainers, politicians, astronauts, and others could be good choices, or not depending on what they are known for. If they are known for success in their profession or personal lives and don't include partisan, or controversial polital statements many would be fine choices. I think certain individuals should be avoided if their notoriety is based on controversial positions or actions. I don't see how associating the BSA with controversial political personalities helps it's image as a non-political organization.

Two speakers I have heard at college graduations that gave talks that would be appropriate for a scouting functions were Joe Paterno and Peter Uberoth. Polital figures such as Bob Dole or Jimmy Carter I think could give appropriate talks without being controverial. I'd love to hear a talk from Tom Brady. An athlete I've always respected that I think would be a good choice I would be Tom Seaver.

Sure, it is likely that there will always be someone that objects to any individual speaker. You will not please everyone, everytime.

However, I don't think Bill Clinton would be anymore appropriate than Oliver North as his notoriety as President is tainted by his actions in office.

You asked Dan, those are just some of my thoughts.

SA

Two speakers I have heard at college graduations that gave talks that would be appropriate for a scouting functions were Joe Paterno and Peter Uberoth. Polital figures such as Bob Dole or Jimmy Carter I think could give appropriate talks without being controverial. I'd love to hear a talk from Tom Brady. An athlete I've always respected that I think would be a good choice I would be Tom Seaver.

Those all sound reasonable, though based on what I have heard about Tom Seaver, he might not qualify if "Humble" were the 13th point of the Scout Law. (One of the jokes about him is, Tom Seaver is the best player ever to play for the Mets in any position, and if you're not sure about that, just ask him and he'll tell you.)

"(One of the jokes about him is, Tom Seaver is the best player ever to play for the Mets in any position, and if you're not sure about that, just ask him and he'll tell you.) "

To paraphrase an old TV line:

It ain't braggin if its true.

I saw an interview that Seaver gave several years ago. He said that when he was "on" he could put the ball in any just about any 3" by 3" square in the strike zone he wanted to at over 90 miles an hour. I believed him. The only other Met I can think of that might be able to make the claim of best Met player would be Nolan Ryan, but he did not play most of his career in a Met uniform.

NJ I suppose you would prefer Roger Clemens? Actually a NY Yankee I wouldn't mind hearing from is Yogi Berra. I don't know what he'd say but I'm sure it would be entertaining.

Like I said, your unlikely to please everyone all the time no matter who you choose. I'm sure someone would object to Mother Teresa if she were alive.

SA

I can't think of any good speaker for a fundraiser. But we have had some good speakers:

A couple of great ones we had included a zoologist who collected live snakes and brought about 20 of them to the talk. Another was the fire chief who, in the course of the talk demonstrated various types of fire suppression systems and why they work on different fuels (works best in the winter). The boys were absolutely captivated by these. The adults seemed interested as well.

But fundraising, well, you know... root canal time.

NJCS

I should have said majority and not someone.

When I wrote this the only name that I could think of was Jimmy Carter, but right now Mr. Carter is out making anti war speeches which I think he would do at a BSA fund raiser at this time.

I don't know if it was for fundraising or just an endorsement, but I saw where some scouting entity asked Barney Franks to sign something???

I still think Red Green would be good, but I think I'm about the only guy in Texas that watches him!

Bd

Carter I would have taken a couple of years ago, but lately he has been making some very harsh speaches and comments. (Everything from hinting that Bush isn't a real Christian to attacking the war in ways that the French haven't even thought of.)

Maybe if Carter gets done blowing off his steam he would be a good speaker again, but now he is a bit out their for most audiences, even though most still respect him as a good man. Maybe everyone secretly thinks he is just getting old, I don't know.

The previous Bush wouldn't be bad, except for the fact his son is the current sitting president.

Clinton would be good, except for... well that could take years to write, so we will just leave that alone.

Ford would probably make a good speaker.

Actors not known for ubjectionable roles or extreme politics might do.

CEOs and other business persons with good reputations would work.

Athletes would be fine as long as their on and off field reputations are good.

I can even see how using a very partisan person could be fine. That would be particularly true if a council scheduled a series of speakers that included various points of view (probably at different events).

Really alot of it depends on local conditions. You don't want Al Frankin speaking at a function in this area. You probably wouldn't want Rush Limbaugh speaking in certain places either. If they will draw money, won't alienate other sources of funds, and don't cause a major values conflict, it seems OK to me for a fundraiser.

It is really quite difficult to find someone that is well known, has made significant accomplishments of some sort, has good values, is politically safe, and has good speaking/entertaining abilities. Usually you will have to compromise on one point or another.