Proper Use of the Flag - Super Bowl Half - time

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at some pics up close of Kid Rock's poncho and it "appears" to be made of nylon. So my guess it is an acual flag which is a no-no.

As far as clothing that looks like U.S. Flags (and are not wardrobe malfunctions), I've got no no problem with people wearing it.

In other news...Do you think the Wardrobe Malfunction will affect Mike's case? :)

I get that the guy did not treat the flag properly, but I don't get the comparison by some in this thread to flag-burning (the anti-flag kind, not the flag-retirement kind) or other "desecrations" of the flag. In other words, he was trying to display the flag in a positive manner and show his patriotism, and in his zeal to do so, he (or his wardrobe person) committed an error. So he needs to do some studying before his Scoutmaster's conference for Tenderfoot, but I don't think we need to break out the tar and feathers.

I tend to agree with NJ. Certainly a misuse of the Flag, but I don't believe it was done with intent.

As for tar and feathers? In my mind it was the worst halftime show we've been subjected to in 10 years or more. If tar and feathers are warranted it's due to the quality or lack thereof of the show.

As for the Wardrobe malfunction, I was in a room with 20 people and no one caught it. The news this morning did confirm, I saw what I though I saw.

As for the Game. I thought it was a great game, although the Pats made a number of mistakes that allowed Carolina to stay in the game. Had Vinitari made his earlier field goal attempts or Brady not thrown the one interception, the last minute heroics would not have been necessary. To Carolina's credit they made some bigs plays against the Pats defense and took advantage of mistakes to keep the game close.

After the Parade tomorrow in Boston the local papers will be filled with the Red Sox. This is after all, really a baseball town. We just happen to have a football team that wins.

Just my thoughts on yesterday.

SA

Tar and Feathers? Well, we can use the tar, but instead of feathers we can use the "tail" that Janet Jackson had on, last time I saw anything like that, Grace Jones (a singularly scary woman) was wearing it in "Conan, the Barbarian"

You remember, that was the one in which the current Governor of California was nominated for best actor in a foreign language, English

OGE,

I was scared by the costumes of her and her whole entourage, and I pretty much ignored the whole thing. Meanwhile, my daughters and my older daughter's boyfriend were sneering at Janet Jackson being the "headliner" because as far as they are concerned she might as well be Ella Fitzgerald or Rosemary Clooney or somebody (if they even knew who those ladies were.) In other words, so last millenium.

You remember, that was the one in which the current Governor of California was nominated for best actor in a foreign language, English

Heh heh. Poor Arnold. Most politicians have skeletons in their closet, his are right out there on five cable channels most weekend afternoons. (But I did just see the ironically named Total Recall again, and that's a good one. He had even learned English by then.)

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property. (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general. (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown. (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart. This is direct from the U.S. Flag Code. http://suvcw.org/flag.htm What more do you need?

OGE, your anti-Arnold vitriol might be more effective if you had your facts straight. Grace Jones was in "Conan the Destroyer."

Mock the movie if you must but Arnold is laughing his Austrian laugh all the way to the bank.

BTW, have you ever read anything by Robert E. Howard?