BSA - Need to support American Troops.

Look in your blue pages under State or U.S. Government for a military guard/reserve unit near where you live, any branch of service. Odds are, there's more than one. Since the Gulf War, a substantial portion of our military force structure has been transferring from active to guard/reserve units. Those units began getting called up for extended periods after 9-11, and are getting activated and depoloyed at a greater rate right now. What's different about these units deploying and an active duty unit deploying is that the active duty unit comes from an active duty installation, with the families in close proximity and all the military family support architecture in place. The guard/reserve units don't have the same support infrastructure, and the families are spread out all over the place...maybe across the street from you.

I can assure you, the deployed guardsman or reservist's wife and kids are just as nervous, and just as alone, as an active duty member's family. Find these families, and offer to shovel their snow, mow their lawns, run errands, etc. They need it, and they'll certainly appreciate it.

Just a suggestion...

KS

Our troop's former SPL who joined the Army (Airborne)upon graduation two years ago has just been informed he will be deployed in Kuwait for at least a six month period beginning next week. This really makes it hit close to home.

Please keep him and all our men and women in your thoughts and prayers.

My DE is in the Army National Guard and will be reporting in June for service in Bosina.

Keep him and his family in your prayers.

In addition, the Legion I belong to is providing bears to the spouses of the servicemen and women staying behind stateside. These are intended to give the spouse a tangable reminder of their serving spouse.(This message has been edited by shemgren)

I support our armed forces. However, you would be treading on thin political ice if the BSA should organize a rally. It could easily be interpreted as supporting using military force against (insert despot here) which may not be 100% endorsed by BSA membership. I for one, do not think that the BSA should be involved in this type of event.

The BSA does support/promote citizenship and patriotism but that is defined in many different ways by many different people. Some feel that anti-war protests are patriotic. Some feel that anti-abortion protests are patriotic. My take, don't go there.

Posted similar thread in issues and politics. Our troop is looking into providing support services to local Guard and Reservist families. Doing a Good Turn Daily. Please post successes and sugestions as these families deserve and should recieve our support.

KS thanks for the input we are pursuing those avenues as I post.

yis

Here at Scott AFB military units are the Chartered Organization for the three troops, a venture crew, and Explorer Post. The only exception is our Cub pack's CO is the VFW Post just outside the gate.

Any BSA unit that wants to help out in any way shape or form would benefit the military and BSA.

Flag Ceremonies, helping out the families of deployed military, etc, would great.

Even though I'm active duty and live on a base, there are thousands of Reserve and Guard members all over the country. Guard/Reserve units are located everywhere. American Legion, VFW, Disabale Vetran's of America are also the few Vet groups that come to my mind.

Get out there and show your support to our troops, no matter what the anti-war, anti-military, or whatever group might have a problem with it.

Here at Scott AFB military units are the Chartered Organization for the three troops, a venture crew, and Explorer Post. The only exception is our Cub pack's CO is the VFW Post just outside the gate.

Any BSA unit that wants to help out in any way shape or form would benefit the military and BSA.

Flag Ceremonies, helping out the families of deployed military, etc, would great.

Even though I'm active duty and live on a base, there are thousands of Reserve and Guard members all over the country. Guard/Reserve units are located everywhere. American Legion, VFW, Disabale Vetran's of America are also the few Vet groups that come to my mind.

Get out there and show your support to our troops, no matter what the anti-war, anti-military, or whatever group might have a problem with it.

Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea about helping dependents, we might be able to work in some merit badges for the scouts (home repair - plumbing - landscape arch.) I will bring them up at our next meeting and see what the scouts think what would be best. I will also make an announcement at the next council meeting.

These are all good ideas, but we are already doing something. I am in a military town...a battle group (of ships) returned home this morning, and while they were still several miles off shore, the CO of the USS KAUFFMAN was on the phone with the local news crew...his final words were "and thanks to all of the Coaches, Teachers and Neighbors who looked after our families the past 7 months." I'm sure he intended to include "Scout Leaders" in that, but I got a warm glow in my gut nonetheless. So on behalf of all of the military and civil service personnel who can't always be there, "Thanks for all you do when we are gone."