I tend to agree with Acco's assessment but am less confident that Bush can lose. Any sitting President has a hugh advantage. However, I think even the more liberal side of the Democratic Party realizes that to have any chance of winning they have to put up a centrist candidate. Republican's can't be all that pleased that after a State of the Union speech polls indicate the Presidenat has a narrow 48% to 46% lead over any generic democratic candidate.

I pointed out my father's postion only to demonstrate there are many folks who would normally vote Republican that are not please with this administration. If Republicans think they only have to beat liberals in the election and the Democrats can show they hold the political center, the economy continues to sputter in the job creation catagory and casualties continue to add up in Iraq, I think the President is quite vulnerable.

I watched some of the pundits last night after the President's speech and even Pat Buchanan described the President as vulnerable.

SA

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SA says:

I watched some of the pundits last night after the President's speech and even Pat Buchanan described the President as vulnerable.

While I agree that Bush is "vulnerable" -- mainly if the economy is perceived as weak as of the late summer -- I find the word "even" amusing as applied to Pat Buchanan. Don't forget that Buchanan ran against GW Bush the last time and could potentially be a candidate this year (though he probably would have started already), so he has his own motivations for saying what he says. That's a pretty neat career he has somehow arranged for himself, running for president every (or almost every) 4 years and then going back to being a "pundit" between elections so he can comment on the people he ran against and try to "set up" the issues and potential candidates for when he decides to run the next time.

But I agree that the Democrats, if they are to have any chance of defeating GW Bush, have to nominate someone who is at least perceived as being a "centrist." However, figuring out who in the current field is a "centrist" is more a matter of perspective than reality. Lieberman is certainly at least a "centrist" and many Democrats consider him to be conservative, which is one of the reasons he is unlikely to be nominated. Edwards seems to be trying to be a centrist and a "populist" at the same time. I don't think Kerry will be able to escape the "liberal" label. Clark probably is a centrist but I don't think he's getting the nomination either. If I had to guess right now it would be that the Iowa results suggest a natural ticket: Kerry for president and Edwards for vice president. It's going to take several rounds of primaries to get to that point, however; not like a few weeks ago when all the "pundits" had Dean sweeping to the nomination...

Almost off-topic and not expressed well; but took the time to watch our President last night. Notwithstanding the synchronized standing ovations, we saw a man who has determined the direction in which his country should be heading and is methodically executing a plan to bring it about. Even if you don't agree with the details and execution of some of his policies, it is impressive to watch and an example for us all.

A breath of fresh air after watching some of the reactionary antics of the previous administration...

Think they're angling for Superbowl Tickets?

I think the president could probably get 2 tickets if he wanted, without going through one of the players. :) He probably wouldn't even have to pay.

Makes me wonder, though, do presidents attend the Super Bowl? I can't recall, but then again I usually ignore all the hoop-de-do on tv as much as possible, like who is in the stands and how great the new commercials are, and what Britney Spears is (or isn't) wearing during the halftime show, and just pay attention to the actual game. I try, anyway. Seems like it would be tough to guarantee the safety of the president in a stadium, but I know they attend baseball games...

"I think the president could probably get 2 tickets if he wanted, without going through one of the players. He probably wouldn't even have to pay. "

As a government employee I don't think the President is allowed to accept gifts or gratuities anyway. I'm sure he would pay for the tickets. :)

As a Patriots Fan I am heartened by what appears to be the President's support for the PATs. He didn't even win Massachusetts in the last election. Glad to see he doesn't hold a grudge. I wonder what Carolinians think of that?

SA

Meanwhile in Philadelphia the line to jump off the Ben Franklin Bridge shows no sign of ending...

After three straight failed attempts to win the NFC Championship I wonder if the president would declare the Eagles as a disaster area and help Donavan McNabb get receivers who can catch and have heart?

BTW OutDoor Thinker is safely back home

OGE,

Back in '95, when the NFL allowed the Browns to move to Baltimore, me and 3,000,000 other Browns fans vowed we would never watch another NFL game. I think we're down to 12 of us, but I've stuck to my guns. so I wouldn't usually know how anyone did. But my son is an Eagle's fan, and I've been hearing for four days now how the fix must have been in (where does a fourteen year old hear phrases like that? I've never know him to have watched "The Sting").

On the other hand, is there any chance Rush Limbaugh was right about McNabb?

As to OutdoorThinker, glad to hear she's home. After a rest, I sure hope to hear about her experience. Please let her know her fans (well at least me) await.

Mark

C'mon, Rushie was stoned when he made that statement that Donavan was over rated. He gets his team to the NFC Title game three straight years without a receiver that could even remotely be considered a pro-bowler.

Tell you what, I have long stated I am a Chicago Bear fan by birthright. I would trade Kordell Stewart and Chris Chandler for Donovan without hesitation.

Maybe the E-gals need to talk to the Philly City council about re-thinking their stand against Scouts. It might be an omen or something?.. But, I'm a Cowboy fan... Do like Donovan, though - maybe a trade for Quincy?

How 'bout them Cowboys????

bd

OGE, I sympathize with you and other Eagles fans. Take heart though.

To paraphrase a Boston sports writer. The Denver Broncos were the Buffalo Bills before the Bills became the Bills,(another team with just bad playoff/superbowl luck) and eventually went on to win the Superbowl behind Elway & Co. There is always next year.

Remember we've suffered the Red Sox for more than two generations now.

Glad to hear OT is home safe and sound. If it's any consolation, I don't know why it would be, my first choice for President has been knocked out of the pirmaries before the party conventions in the last 4 Presidential elections. Can't remember the last time I voted for President and could actually say I really supported the guy. Seemed like in the general election I was always voting for the alternative that I thought would do the least damage and I've been mistaken more than once.

We'll look forward to hearing from OT again when she gets a chance.

SA

First off, "How 'bout them Cowboys??":)

Eagles were feeling so bad last week, the decided to overlook the actual receivers and throw it to the guard;)

"The city of Brotherly Love", the same place that throws batteries at professional baseball players, shall be doomed forever!!!!!!:):)