I know this is totally off topic and has nothing to do with Scouting. But I know many of you are from the midwest or travel a lot. What can you tell me about Iowa in general -- the people, the places, typical travel type guide and specifically Iowa's winters. Its looking like I will be spending most of my winter break there.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Iowa, and the people I've met who live there.

In Eastern Iowa, you have rolling hills and lots of agriculture. The people are typical midwesterners, friendly and outgoing, but bitter if stabbed or spurned. Smile and be yourself, and you'll be just fine. Show a little curiosity and admiration, and you'll be loved.

In western Iowa, things are a bit more flat and even more rural, but the people are the same. Des Moines is a bigger city than most think, but filled with good, corn-fed midwesterners and I would be happy to be there anytime.

In fact, here's a personal endorsement for you -- I'm waiting in the wings for either Ed (Scout Executive in Cedar Rapids) or Bill (Scout Executive in Dubuque) to get out of the way :) and let me in their spot. Thanks for keeping the space warm for me boys, but, hey, give a guy a chance to live in a great state, will ya?

Enjoy your winter break, outdoorthinker. They do have internet in Iowa. Keep in touch.

Dave

Welcome to the lands I call home!!!

Dave describes the land and people well. Iowa is on the border between the woodlands and the great plains, so the landscape varies somewhat. What part of the state do you plan on being in?

Unfortunately, the open parts of the country can seem quite desolate in the winter, as the fields have been harvested and the trees are bare. It can be really beautiful, however, as the snow dunes grow and shift around decrepit barns and farmhouses in the backcountry. In a sense, you are lucky that you won't be around for the legendary humidity of Iowa summers. On the other hand, you are missing out on the sight of a fertile land in full bloom. Black Iowa soil is never exposed; you must dig in order to find it.

To get to my camp (home), you must pass through Amish country. It adds to the somewhat magical sense that you are going to a place wholly different from the "real world" as you travel to camp. There are also Amish near where I go to school here, but they will ride on the shoulder of the road. Down there, however, the road is theirs and you will wait your turn to pass if you wish to speed through their countryside.

Well, what can I tell you about Iowa. It really isn't a bad place. It is a nice place for families and kids.

It's not a typical Big State with lots of people. Cedar Rapids (My neck of the Woods) is about 120-130,000 people and actually it is very comfortable. Des Moines is a little bigger and is more a "big city" Des Moines is Iowa's New York City!

We have quite a bit to do actually. We have lots and lots of parks and recreational places. It's just a nice place to be.

And yes, I'm sorry to say that we get quite a bit of snow in the winter and pretty hot temps in the summer. But I'm tellinh you, you can not find a more beautiful place to look at during the fall!

Thanks guys, all though keep the thread going, if you have more to say! If I wasnt already excited to head out to Iowa, I am very much excited now.

I will very much be in Iowa during the winter,(I head out shortly after Christmas) so no beautiful Iowan autumns for me. I am actually not sure what part of Iowa I will be in, yet. Hopefully, I will find out soon to map my trip there.

Yes, Dave, I have no doubt that they have internet in Iowa, however, I am not sure that with my job I will have much time for the internet. So you'll have to keep the crew and girls in scouting conversation down to a minimum in my absence.

Have fun in Iowa. However flattered I am at the suggestion that I can keep the conversation on anything around here down to a minimum, it's beyond my power.

I also want to go on the record applauding your young ladies who are involved with the BSA as Venturers. They are terrific!

DS

"It seems to me that I saw somewhere that Iowa had the highest literacy rate among the states in the union."

That wouldn't surprise me. I spent a few years out in that part of the world and it struck me that education was very important. They didn't seem to fuss too much with bells and whistles but put emphasis on the basics. I hope that things haven't changed too much.

In my youth, our school (non-Iowa) always had us take the "Iowa apptitude" test which measured reading and math skills. The National Automotive Center is located in Iowa. You can get some good beef in Iowa (must be all that corn!). They do stress education but look at major interstates. They are not arranged with the best interest of Iowa in mind.

As an aside, Al Sharpton was recently the guest host on Saturday Night Live. I heard that NBC affiliates in Iowa did not carry the program because they feared that the other Democratic candidates may ask for "equal time" on their affiliate stations.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Here's a bit of insight into the way Iowans think and why I love them so much.

I was living in Chicago a few years ago and Iowa was starting some sort of lottery. The equipment that generates the random numbers neccessary is expensive and the Iowans wanted to avoid paying out that money.

They decided that since most cable viewers in Iowa receive WGN from Chicago they would simply use the numbers from Illinois' PowerBall.

Easy to do and it's free! :)

Clever.

DS