Michael Jackson and photo

I don't read People Magazine, but I heard about this on the radio and had to pick up a copy to see for myself.

On pages 84-85 of the December 8 edition of People Magazine, there is a picture of Michael Jackson standing in front of the door to his bedroom on the Neverland Ranch.

On his left there is a manequinn of a little girl in some sort of uniform. On his right there is a manequinn of a Boy Scout in uniform (official) wearing a merit badge sash, shorts, and knee sox holding hands in an arch with the little girl. I find the picture totally offensive and more than a little damaging to Michael Jackson's case.

In fact, the Boy Scout manequinn's unifrom is not even correct. The international patch is centered on the left pocket and the shoulder loops aren't official. Why I care about the uniform's correctness, I don't even know.

Just thought I'd let you know about this . . .

Michael Jackson is not a registered leader in the BSA and, to my knowledge he never has been. I'm sure we would have all heard about it had he been.

DS(This message has been edited by dsteele)

My wife also saw the photo and was quick to show it to me. I too was offended -- in hindsight. However; my first and most overwhelming emotion was that it CREEPED ME OUT!

I agree with your assessment. Guilty or not, the guy's been convicted in the court of public opinion and photos like that will only reinforce it.

Nobody seems to be able to explain this weirdo and his antics, but he often creates and wears his own glitter-military looking outfits, so no big surprize he would be attracted to a BSA uniform. There was another thread here recently about how popular Boy Scout uniforms have become in the rock-N-roll music scene, probably bought as cast-offs and not even near offical. They seem to like some random red and white unit numbers on one sleeve or the other and various other patches here and there. Even after the discussion in the other thread I still don't really understand the attraction to using bits and pieces of the BSA uniform in pop culture. The best I can figure it is some kind of statement about good v.s. evil, using the Boy Scout as the embodiment of fairness. That may say something good about Scouting while at the same time dragging it down, being used so out of context. Or maybe they think it just "looks cool."(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

The shoulder loops are a bit too thick and there are no vertical ribs on them.

They are not authentic.

All of which is a moot point.

How many of us, who love the Boy Scout program, keep mannequins of boys in uniform (Scout) outside the doors of our bedroom?

We're talking about one sick man . . .

DS

I couldn't tell that about the loops from that photo but I'll defer to your wisdom and experience (as out of character that may be).

I do know a Scouter who has mannequin of a Scout in his family room, the dummy is wearing a 1920's vintage uniform.

I will agree that Jackson is a sick puppy. It may show my age but I remember when Jacko looked like a human being.