I am not certain if my troop really has a formal rule on this issue. We do have a standard practice.

We do not use or carry cell phones unless it is necessary for the individual or the troop. Many adults need to be able to check in with work or family from time to time. That we allow. Scouts with cells hasn't really been a problem. Last I knew we had one Scout with a cell. That same Scout is the only one that is old enough to drive. We allow him to have a cellphone during troop activities, but he keeps it turned off.

Generally we ask that people do not bring things that they don't need to have to meetings or outings. If they must bring something, then we ask that they turn it off or put it away when not actually needed at that moment. So far this has eliminated most of the problem. (We do have one active adult that almost always has his cell on, and he gets call frequently. However, they are usually work related, or his family, so that seems to be a necessity.)

Cell phones really haven't become an overbearing problem...yet. But as a preemptive measure in answer to a similar question about a year ago, the troop committee established the following guidelines:

Meetings: Cell phones are not welcome and should be left at home unless there are extenuating circumstances, and then the SM must be made aware. The Scouthouse has a phone, and the number is available to all members and families.

Outings: Again, cell phones are discouraged and those that must have them on a trip must inform the SM or trip leader(s). The trip leader(s) always have at least one cell phone and the number is published for parents of trip participants.

Several of the Scouts in our Troop have cell phones, and they will bring them to meetings/outings. It hasn't been a problem, since they all seem to understand that we don't want to hear ringing cell phones or have side conversations with girlfriends going on during skill instruction. Their phones are off or on vibrate and in their backpacks, not hanging on their belts. They come in handy on those occasions when our return time is different from what's on the permission slip, or they need to ask a parent to bring something for the end of the meeting, etc., etc. I'd rather have the lads using their own phones than lined up to use mine. In an emergency, or if some get separated, the more means of communication, the better.

I'm not really interested in policing cell phones as a SM. If they have one, their parents know it and either condone it or want them to for some reason (sick relative, stay in touch, whatever). I'm not going to usurp the parents' authority. If the way the Scout uses the phone becomes disruptive, leadership will get involved starting with his PL. These things are a tool, like anything else. They needn't be feared, but should not be misused, either.

KS

Fortunately, Cub Scouts with cell phones hasn't happened yet, but I sure the day will come. We do have a rule against electronics during Scout activities, but with Cubs that just means Gameboys. They're not sophistocated enough to push the rules like I sure the older boys do.

Unfortunately, adults with cell phones is a fact of life. We've not banned them, but we do let folks know that we don't want to hear them ringing all the time and that adults' focus needs to be with the Scouts.

At day camp we had one den leader who was on his phone constantly -- hours on end. After a day and a half, we told him he either needed to fish or cut bait. It was unfair to his boys and certainly unfair to his co-den leader who was having to carry his load. We gave him the opportunity to "back out of his commitment to the Scouts" (in those words) if necessary, but if he was going to be at camp, we needed him focused on camp.

We don't allow cell phones except for adult leaders and use them only when necessary. We try to take at least one cell phone on trips - even backpacking and similar trips. This has really saved us a couple of times (one boy had a relative who died unexpectedly, other examples). For short trips we don't allow any electronic devices including radios, CD players, etc. For long trips CD players, etc. are allowed for the travel only.

Talking as a parent.

My son has a cell phone because I want him to have one.

I go along with KoreaScouter.

OJ knows when and where to turn the phone off.

He is polite about where and what he talks about.

I really fail to see why a Scoutmaster would want to over rule a parent.

Where do we find this "Rules"?

Don't we have better things that we could be doing?

Eamonn

I agree with KS and Eamonn. Our son has a cell phone and knows when to leave it on and when to turn it off. He has it because we want him to have it. I would probably encourage any scout with a cell phone to leave it in a car at the trail head while back packing, but it is useful for at least one adult to have a cell phone even in the boonies. I venture that most of the adults involved in our troop, and many of the boys, have phones, but they have not created a problem, and they are potentially very useful in emergencies.

I also agree ith KS.

we have a number of boys who have phones. We've never discussed the issue, and it's never been an issue or distraction.

I wonder what would hapen if we made a rule. I bet we'd have more problems than we do now.

Mark

The decisions made by our troop, preemptive as I've described them, were made with past history of electronic distractions,like GameBoy, becoming far too much of a nuisance distraction taking the boys attention away from where it should be in Scouting activities. Experiences of nearby troops with cell phones becoming the same distraction were also considered. The policy was agreed to unanimously in the committee and among adult leaders. It was also fairly well supported by parents. Such as it is, there is room for accomodation on an individual basis, but as I indicated, there are more than sufficient communication options within the troop and at the scouthouse to negate the need for each scout to carry his own.

Some may not agree. That's fine. Our policy works well, and support for it is broad based. Even the PLC supported the original concept.

Cell phones became a problem with the Scouts.

I "asked" that they not be present on any Scout functions.

Exceptions can be made, but no one's asked yet.

My dog collects cell phones. He used to collect flashlights (that were constantly being shown in other people's faces at night). That stopped.

"I really fail to see why a Scoutmaster would want to over rule a parent."

Simple, the parent is in charge at home but not at the Scout meeting.

We haven't had the issue of Scouts with cell phones at meetings come up but they are prohibited on campouts and at camp.

Hate to be disagreeable.

But no one with out a court order over rules my being a parent.

My actions as a parent are not subject to some set of arbitarary rules.

When he joined Scouts, we knew of the rules set by the organization.

The rules set by the organization do not give Scoutmasters any right to over rule my rules and I have yet to see where they come up with this idea.

When a cell phone, Gameboy or a piece of rope prevents my son from performing his duty or living up to the Scout Oath and Law. I would hope that this matter would be discussed with my son. If a resolution can not be reached I would hope to be brought into the picture.

I take my role as a parent very earnestly. Whatever he does in Scouting he does with my permission.

Eamonn