Non-Gay Political Issue// Women Registering for Selective Service

"Take all of the testosterone or estrogen you want, you can't turn a woman into a man or vice versa."

While I agree with Rooster for the most part on this issue, I do see many exceptions. If an 18 year old female had the testosterone levels of a male her age (some have this naturally) and the male had the average levels of a female his age (minute, but present), then the female would be much more suited for combat (physically and mentally) than the male.

For a less extreme example, look at the "American Gladiator" women. They would surpass many men in a combat situation. All this, of course, is simplifying combat effectiveness to be the result of physical strength and aggression. This is not the case, of course.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hollings and Rangel I believe are both opponents of the current administration's actions in Iraq. The bill they filed was more of a reminder to members of congress and the nation of the kinds of sacrifices a nation must make when it goes to war. The point I think they were trying to make was that if more of the population had to make sacrifices, there would be less support for war in general, particularly the Iraq war.

Right now the major burden of the war falls on those that have volunteered for military service or reserve duty. True they understood or should have understood what they volunteered for, but the rest of us, unless we have a family member or know someone in the service, are relatively unaffected. Whatever issues we have with the war pro or con, they pale in comparison to those participating and their families.

I don't think there is a way to adequately reward our volunteer military for what they do. The act of volunteer military service in whatever capacity deserves our deepest gratitude.

SA

Sorry, I got away from this thread for a while.

Yes, there is the principle of "needs of the service", and you can be pressed into whatever duty is required of you. That said, with an AVF, it's up to you if you walk in the door in the first place, or if you re-enlist or retain your commission -- that was my point.

Women are flying fighter jets, not in huge numbers, but they're doing it.

Yes, the lines between combat, combat support, and combat service support are growing increasingly blurred as we're faced with adversaries who use assymetric methods to engage us. What that means is that we can't compartmentalize our people and assume that they'll be in sanctuaries because of where they are or what they do. New reality.

KS