First off I'd like to say HELLO. I'm new to this forum and came across it will looking up scouting information for my son. He has just started in Webelos and is having a great time.

Secondly (and the reason of the post) is that I am looking for a location to find my old Boy Scout records, or if they even exist anywhere?

I was in scouts in Lexington, Ohio Troop 100, in the 60s. I recieved my Eagle Award in early 1967, I was also Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow, Lou Ott Lodge. The only thing that I still have is a picture that was taken when I got my Eagle Award. I would like very much to get ahold of the records. As you all know, some of the Eagle items cannot be replace without these records.

If anyone could point me in the direction of finding these records it would be much appriciated. Thanks, Mike Mount

Mtnman2@bigfoot.com

If you go to the BSA National website (Scouting.org, I think, but there should also be a link on these pages), you should be able to locate a link to the Council that services Lexington. Contact them, and they may either have something for you, or be able to direct you to the council that does (if there has been any shifting of the councils in that area over the years, it's never sure which council will have the records. You might also try NESA (National Eagle Scout Association). I don't know what records they get from BSA or keep, but it would be a resource.

Good luck to you. I envy your accomplishment.

Mark

I've tried to contact the Local Counsel, and got no reply. I'll try that again. Thanks

Does anyone have an e-mail addy for National in Irving and/or a mailing address for them?

I appreciate your responses, thank you.

The Boy Scouts of America

Natinal Office

1329 W. Walnut Hill Lane

Irving, TX 75038

972-580-2597

My impression is that record keeping is notoriously bad from the top to the bottom. You might be just as well off to track down your old Scoutmaster.

Good Luck

"For those of you able to learn from others experiences... This serves as a reminder, keep those little cards that merit and rank badges are attached to in a safe place."

It is my understanding that I can go down to my local council and purchase "those little cards that merit and rank badges are attached to" by the hundreds. Although better than nothing, they do not serve as good records.

Merit badge "blue cards", which are not used by all councils, are what is needed to be kept. Also, TroopMaster print-outs are considered legit.

Good luck in your search.

Called National today and I think I've got in all worked out.

imascouter, they gave me a new address for regular corispondence. The address you gave is now the address to the museum down there. The new one is:

Boy Scouts of America National Office

1325 W. Walnut Hill Lane

P.O. Box 152079

Irving, Texas 75015-2079

Anyone interested might want to change thier address books.

Thanks to all.

Merit badge cards are SUPPOSED to be used by all troops - but lets face it - we all know some who have their own way of dioing things.

Still, It's a good idea to hold onto anything your son earns -

We have a boy in our troop - working on his Eagle rank, who MAY NOT GET IT. Why? because of poor record keeping - a prior SM and Advancement chair didn't want to bother with the books and cards and the record of his STAR rank somehow never got to the council, despite his being awarded the rank badge. So the council is saying - how can he be working on Eagle when he's not a Star? (somehow, though, I do think they have the backup for his Life rank - we had our current Advancement chair for that - and he's AWESOME at keeping track of stuff.)

the boy didn't keep his cards, and the troop didn't use the boys handbooks to record advancements, either. So now they are scrambling to "prove" his advancements so he can complete his Eagle before he turns 18.

My son recently got a bunch of badges and an advancement in rank - and somehow his shirt went thru the wash with all of them in the pocket! LOL! Of course, the badges and pins came thru just fine, but the cards are mostly unreadable. Still, I'm saving them - the dates are readable. I did ask the advancement chair to write up a replacement rank advancement card - just in case. He laughed, but was happy to oblige.

And of course if all else fails, the Troop is supposed to be submitting the Advancement/Progress Report form recording every advancement (with dates) that a Scout makes. We also keep all of their records in folders in a locked drawer in a desk at the Scout building. We don't recognize any computer program print out. We recognize advancement signed off in the Scout Handbook, blue cards (and other merit badge paperwork from summer camps who don't use the blue card), and any of the copies of the Advancement/Progress Report forms (be it the Troop or Council copy), Nothing else !!!! No need to fill out and submit an Eagle Application, if you can't prove each and every rank and merit badge used with this documentation.

sst3rd

If a scout is near this 18th birthday and he is having a paperworl problen, he needs to apply for a 6 month extension. Include letters from Scoutmasters who are familar with his suitation. Start with you local council and they should forward these to national.

My understanding is that a merit badge card or rank card signed by the appropriate people is full and valid proof of having earned the award to anyone inquiring, including units you transfer to, districts, councils, and national. This is why I have always stressed keeping these cards safely. (Use photocopies in your eagle notebook.)

Is this not correct?

If you're refering to those generic meritbadge cards, they're just ornaments. The merit badge blue card is the official record.

Those rank cards are the same thing. The requirements signed off in the handbook are official, nothing else.

Both of these should be supported by the Advancement Report that the Troop submits prior to each Court Of Honor.

My only exception is, if a Scout transfers to our unit and has lost everything and I can contact their old Council and get verification of any ranks and meritbadges through the old Troop's Advancement Reports, we'll build new records in a new handbook (replacement).

sst3rd