HIP HIP HOORAY ANOTHER TOPIC....

A big thank-you to Mark Noel for taking us away from the great sherry debate, can you beleive we have spent 8 days on it and nothing else???

I wondered how long it would take to have another topic come up.

Here's another topic that should take off,

What are George W Bush's chances for re-election, in your opinion of course?

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MomScouter has a point. Wesley Clark is looking like he could be the Democrats ticket to the White House. Keep your eyes peeled for his announcement by the end of the week. I am, however, a little skeptical, because he seems as though he's everything that the Democratic Party could have dreamed of as a candidate. I am, however, hoping he's the man.

Wesley Clark, for those of you who arent up on your whose who of candidates for the Democratic ticket, is a retired General. He's a Vietnam Veteran, who is against the war in Iraq. Some of his other top issues include the enviroment and lowering the teacher to student ratio in public schools.

The next couple of weeks will prove very interesting for the Democratic Party and I feel that I can answer OldGreyEagle's qustion better then.

Ohhh, Outdoor Thinker, you dont have to be so formal, I'm OGE, my father is OldGreyEagle.

Anyway, a Democratic General... Now isnt that an oxymoron? anyway, I appreciate anyone who can string a sentence together and make sense, a quality not common amoungst the candidates. I would like to know what a candidate is FOR, not what he is against. Dont tell me how bad someone else is, tell me how good you are.

here's to a happy political season

Just as an update, while I was writing my message about Wesley Clark, he officially announced his candidacy for the Democratic Presidental nomination. He began his speech: "My name is Wes Clark. I am from Little Rock, Arkansas. And I am here to announce that I intend to seek the presidency of the United States of America."

I have always shied away from discussing my own political and ideological views on here, except for the subjects we discuss directly, because I think it can only detract from the discussion of Scouting.

But if we are being asked just to make a prediction, regardless of our own feelings as to who should win, mine would be that President Bush will probably be re-elected. Nobody in the Democratic field really has the combination of charisma and name recognition needed to overcome the advantages of incumbency -- including having won two wars. (But that's assuming that the second one still looks like a "win" by then, which is something we shall see.)

Boy, so many things can happen over the next year. It is really anyone's guess. Keep in mind that it was a virtual dead heat between Bush and Gore. Many people like to think that we live in a predominantly "conservative" (I really dislike labels) nation now. That is kind of hard to swallow when the last vote was 50/50. Bush's numbers shot up as a result of 9/11 and the people rallying behind him. I suspect the people would have rallyed behind any man who was president after an event like 9/11. His numbers have been steadily dropping. If the war continues on for a long time, soldiers keep dying after we claimed the military action to be over and the economy does not get any better, then Bush II could be a replay of Bush I's reelection bid. Nothing is a lock. Wesley Clark has got in late, but he does not carry the political baggage that the other Dem candidates do. He graduated 1st in his class at Westpoint, is a decorated VietNam vet complete with purple heart, a general and was commander of Nato. He is intelligent, has great credentials and is a fresh face. Time will tell if he can give Bush a run for his money. Ask me in about 6 months who I think will win. By the way, you called me out of the shadows. I follow politics big time, but never try to show it here.

I have to say OGE (is that good?) started a thread that I am really excited about. Politics goes right up there with scouting when it comes to things that make me tick. And to Pounder, I didnt say I was voting for Wesley Clark, yet. I perfer to keep my options open for a a little while longer.

A 4 star general is treated better than a Saudi sheik! Mr. Clark's been living like a king for years......I don't think he can hang with the rest of this crowd very long. He'll burn bright for a couple weeks, and then fall right into formation with the rest of those, those dirty dozen, me thinks.