Philadelphia Says BSA's Land Use in Jeopardy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merlyn's example comparing the KKK and NAMBLA to the BSA is completely absurd. First of all, Merlyn should know that some sorts of speech are not protected by the first amendment, and as such, governments should not be enabling it. Among these methods of speech are speech designed to intimidate (i.e. KKK) and speech which directly leads to or promotes the commission of a crime (i.e. NAMBLA). To say that these three organizations are equal is to deny the Constitution.

Slont

I think littlebillie was trying to present the argument for contrasting organizations to make a point. Ed, I think, sort of went along with that. I doubt that either wanted to compare BSA. But Merlyn clearly wasn't the culprit.

Merlyn, the wideness thing, is that true? Did you do it? I actually didn't notice until NJ explained what to look for. How did you figure that out? If that happened for you, why hasn't it happened for others of us who are far more verbose on occasion? But it is interesting that it only seems to be this thread. Better things to worry about...lunch for example.

Merlyn, re: the wide-URL thing, did you use some secret, magical code to prevent the line from wrapping? Because usually it just wraps onto a second line and doesn't cause the "message box" to expand. There have been URLs a lot longer than that posted on here.

Or perhaps it was just an "act of God."

Hee, hee... I'm just such a funny guy sometimes.

Oh by the way, the God thing was a joke.

I think long URLs that get cut into two parts contain a character like "-" or "," that the software thinks is a safe point to wrap text. My URL didn't happen to have any characters that it looks for when doing linewrap, so the URL actually works, but the whole thing is on one line and forces the text table to be wider than normal. But since hyphens and commas are legal to have in URLs, cutting long URLs that contain them makes the link fail, since it doesn't get the whole URL. No gods involved, it just takes some logic to figure out.

Careful now. Application of logic (the second of the seven liberal arts) was condemned during the 12th century. Check out the life of Peter Abelard for example, "By doubting we come to inquiry; and through inquiry we perceive truth." If truth was simply found in scripture, such statements were heresy. Sound familiar?

But less than a century later Thomas Aquinas created a synthesis of reason and faith. His tools were logical constructs originally formed by... none other than Aristotle and other pagans whose teachings previously had to be shunned because they did not know Christ. Where does logic come from? A better question might be: Why don't we apply it more often?

It seems amazing to me that liberal teachers and professors are able to use our public schools with free reign, to indoctrinate our children with anit-war sentiment, unAmericanism, atheism, sexuality acceptance programs and condoms. Where is the tolerance from these so-called teachers? Where is the acceptance of different views from these teachers? Where is the public accountability? There is none! And yet my tax dollars must pay for what they have the audacity to call education?! Go visit the classroom of a liberal professor and you will soon learn the true meaning of discrimination and where the hate starts. All this brought to you courtesy of our local and state government paid for by you and me. Maybe its time to kick these teachers out as well. Then they can go buy their own land and erect their own buildings and profess all the intolerant views they want.

cjmiam

Well, how about my Healthy American professor that ridiculed me and laughed off my spirituality and devotion to God in a lecture class of 250 students. When he told me to use some logic, what do you think he was driving at? When my high school science teacher wouldnt allow my short answers on tests to include my opinions about creation, what do you call it. And please remember, I did not leave out the answer she wanted. I simply embellished what was the correct answer with my beliefs and she still marked it wrong. If thats not closed mindedness and discrimination in an attempt to create a disbelieving (atheistic) populous I dont know what is.