Religious Affiliation

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sort of new here, have been just looking around, reading things.

I might have something to say about religion and scouting, but with all this talk about Chili, I'd rather talk about food.

How about some Chicago Style Pizza . . .

oops, that doesn't have anything to do with the subject . . .

is pizza a political issue?

Trucker, welcome to the forums.

As for whether what you said has anything to do with the subject, I wouldn't even venture a guess as to what the subject of this thread is right about now. Sometimes these threads take on a life of their own... though in this case "life" is probably an exaggeration, it seems like more of an "un-dead" quality...

That's funny. . .

As for the thread . . . . I am LDS and have been in scouting for a while, no big deal position, merit badge counselor, advancement chairperson. one son is an Eagle the other is working on his project now. No more sons. Phew!

Religion is part of my life and I would not have done anything with Scouts if it were not for my religion.

I don't like camping, but I've done it for the boys, and I prefer the Music, Citizenship and computer type of badges rather than too much outdoors, except for swimming.

I don't eat very much in terms of quantity and can only eat three White Castles in a sitting -- but that doesn't stop me from driving 15 miles in each direction to pick up a sack of 10. Luckily they microwave very well.

Sliders . . . I love 'em enough to sleep alone that night.

DS

I agree with Trucker, ain't no eatin' better than a Chicago style pizza, especially if its a Nancy's stuffed.

Now, you guys who live south of the Mason-Dixon line help me out, just what is the deal with sweet iced tea anyway? When I am down south I can get a glass that stands the spoon up by itself.

Oh, and I religiously love the outdoors and worship Ra everytime I see him, and during this past summer, it really wasnt all that much.

Iced tea is like mothers' milk in these parts. We drink it by the gallon. It's frequently pre-sweetened since it's almost impossible to get sugar to dissolve in a cold glass of tea. Most restaurants offer both sweet tea and unsweet -- just ask. I don't especially care for the syrupy-sweet version myself, although my mom makes it that way. I'll add a splash of unsweet just to tone it down.

The closest thing to an official North Carolina state religion is barbecue. Since most of y'all ain't from 'round here, I'll add that when we say barbecue we mean slow-cooked, smoked pork (amongst the locals, no such explaination is necessary). That metal contraption on your back deck is called a grill. Barbecue here is a noun, not a verb. One cannot barbecue a hamburger or a hot dog.

If you ask a gentleman what kind of barbecue he prefers, he will tell you either Eastern or Lexington and will be able to explain his preference for a good 20- or 30- minutes. Eastern barbecue is basically just smoked pork topped with a sauce of vinegar and crushed pepper. Lexington barbecue has a small amount of tomato paste or ketchup added to the sauce, but usually not enough that the uninitiated will notice. Put a thick, ketchup-ey, Kansas City-style sauce on a plate of good barbecue here and you'll find your sorry butt in the back seat of a state patrol cruiser headed for the Virginia state line.

Elections for high state offices have been decided over what kind of barbecue the candidates prefer. Fights have broken on the floor of the state legislature over barbecue. We take barbecue very passionately here.

Barbecue is served with cole slaw (mayonaise, mustard or vinegar-based), fries, hush puppies, sweet tea and finished with 'naner puddin' (i.e. banana pudding). Purists, especially those who prefer Eastern barbecue, will also expect Brunswick stew, essentially a vegetable soup, usually including some chicken or other meat, cooked down to the consistency of a thick gumbo.

Man, this is killin' me. I'll be back after dinner. Guess where I'm going.(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)

Rooster, a "Slider" is a name ascribed to that gastronomical delight, a White Castle burger. The term "slider" comes from the somewhat accelerated manner in which the delicacy transits the gastrointestinal tract, to some it just seems to "slide" through.

Somewhat akin to the phrase, "You can't buy beer, you can only rent it", or so I am told, I have no personal knowledge of that in any manner.

I like the turn this thread has taken.

Thanks for the help to Rooster about sliders.

I like sweet iced-tea. My family is from the East and we have always made our iced tea sweet -- I don't know why. It is a southern thing.

I disagree about barbeque sauce. Don't like the stuff, which is probably why my mother-in-law signed me up for the sauce of the month club -- I have bottles and bottles of the stuff unused in my cupboards and it will probably stay that way.

As far as I'm concerned, barbeque kills perfectly good baby back ribs. ;)

I like to roast my ribs over a bed of saur kraut with only salt and pepper as seasonings. Roast them at 425 for two hours on a broiler pan with water in the bottom and flip them every two hours.

My favorite dish and has the same effect as sliders . . . poor wife.

DS

DS you had to mention saurkraut and I got to thinking of a big ol' spicy mett with that sacred vegetable topping... And the Midwesterner in me must think about a happy and healthy ear of fresh corn - but Heaven forbid I'm digressing!

Interesting thread though; I'd not thought of the barbeque folks as a radical element before (2CubDad your mental picture has been revised somewhat) and firmly believe that sweet tea was created by a marketing department in an effort to dispose of an industrial byproduct of some sort.

Comes to mind that this is classic Scouting; making the best of something that wasn't quite what was anticipated, and having a good time with it regardless...(This message has been edited by buffalo2)

In Virginia, the waitress will ask if you want sweet or "UN". In NC, you have to special order Unsweet...the default is sweet. In some places, you don't get a choice. So, taste it before you pour in the sugar or pink stuff. Yes, the sugar is boiled into the tea, at about the rate of 1 cup sugar per quart. Brunswick County, VA...the birthplace of Brunswick stew. That should flush out the Nawcalinah and Goaja boys (each claims the same fame!)

Born and raised Lutheran (ELCA), Pro Deo et Patria award recipient (From MY Pastor, harder to get than Eagle!)

I've never gotten to exercised over the Brunswick stew controversy. Honestly, I can take it or leave it. I'll take another helping of barbecue instead.

And by the way, scoutldr, no offense intended with the crack about sending barbecue heretics to Virginia. I'm sure our guys will be glad to hand them off to the proper Virginia authorities so you guys can send them on north.