Religious Affiliation

I believe that by your words and actions, the truth of who and what you are comes through. I never shrink from the question of my religion. I am a Christian. I was raised a Baptist and am now a member of the United Methodist Church which considers Scouting as a Ministry. I also am the president of the local chapter of the National Association of United Methodist Scouters and also serve as The Church district Scouting Coordinator.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CRANEACE, to quote AKeagle "hehe", welcome to the campfire.

Please try to understand that is not a forum as seen in other locations on the net. This is a discussion conducted as we would normally around a campfire. Sure it gets intense sometimes, but what the hey. Some of these discussions would not happen as they do here as they would around a campfire. It is a place where scouters and scouts can vent, discuss, argue, and bond with others.

By the way, thanks for telling us who WE and US are. Clarifies much and thanks again.

Back to your intial idea for this campfire, I guess I could say I was an Agnostic Druid, but that would not be true. I keep my own peace and believe in some sort of higher power that may or may not be difined by current religions. The world is wide and varied and who is to say someone else might have the 'key'?

Years ago there was a story where a religious group bought a very powerful computer to list the 9 million (billion?) names of God. When it was done..... the stars winked out. Who knew?

Diplomacy like honey usually gets you where you want to go and what you want to know. Flat statements usually causes hackles to rise and defenses to go up. If you really want to know what we are all about 'sneak' up on us and enjoy the results. We really do like freeform discussions.

yis

For the record, I like Cinncinnati chili, it just looks a little weird. Spent some time at Pill Hill in Cinncy awhile back, stayed at the Vernon Manor

Second place to White Castle has to be Krystals in the south,

Second to none has to be either a Nancy's Stuffed crust pizza or a Portillos Italian beef sandwhich, you Chicago guys know what I mean

Not that it's anyone's business, but here goes . . .

Born and raised Liberal Northern Baptist, I was baptised in full emersion at the age of 14. My parents had a falling out with the congregation and we became United Methodists.

In college, I had some doubts about Jesus of Nazareth -- which have been resolved -- but during that time I pursued converting to Judiasim (reformed.)

A lot of soul searching and meeting my very Presbyterian wife led me back into the path of Zeugma Adolphotatos Christianicas (he who walks in the light of Crist) and am now a Christian.

Much of my religious upbringing -- where we really talked about it under God's sky has been in the BSA. My interactions with most all the religions of the world in my 15 years in the profession have me led to the honest belief in the sanctity of all religions. All are somewhat right and all are not mutually exclusive -- as long as they lean on the side of goodness.

I accept people of all faith. I've worked with and admired the beliefs of too many religions to name.

Perhaps that makes me a Deist, or a Christian, or someone who Redfeather so succinctly defines as one who has found his/her peace, I don't know.

I applaud those who believe in a higher power or higher powers in whatever form . . . as long as they believe. In those who proclaim that no higher power exists, I have no faith, no trust and no belief.

DS

Over the past 20+ years, most of the scouters I've ever known are LDS. Most of you are not . . . at least those who have posted here.

Interesting that the LDS church is so dominant in "directing" scouting in many ways, yet they do not seem to be as "pro" scouting as many of the varied religious faiths represented here.

So . . . to add some fuel to this campfire . . . .

Where are all the LDS scouters?

Is it the religion that drives you to scouts?

Or is it scouting that drives you to the religion?

Are LDS scouters as "pro" scouting as you all are?

Or are they in scouting for another reason?

How do the scouting programs differ from troop to troop, based on the religious affiliation of the CO? Or do they differ at all?

Shields up

Craneace: Would seem to me that if you were really wanting to learn a bit about the religuous beliefs that people attach (a great deal of) value to you'd consider reading a bit about their religuous practices, meeting them in person, and visiting their (yes their) churches - Perhaps consider introducing yourself to their Scout leaders?

But sitting in front of a computer attached to a bulletin board and trolling for responses is perhaps not the best method of conducting objective research...

Just a thought

Unless of course this is one of those experiments where they say they are testing for one thing and atually are looking at another.

Perhaps the sudden appearance of CRANEACE and related questions isnt as much an attempt to gather information on the quesitons posed, but rather a study of how the group reacted? Were we hostile, suspicious, pliant, trusting, paranoid (who me? yeah you, ok voices 1-7 settle down, its number 8's turn to use the computer)

Its a thought

Well CRANEACE, you know full well (because I told you in this thread) that I am both LDS and a Scouter. If your inquiries are serious, I've been in Scouting in a variety of areas and over along enough span of time that I I am confident I can offer some insight. You should know how to find me online but off list. If you're just stirring it up, please don't waste my time.

To answer your second and third questions. I was a scout as a youth and have two sons. Scouting was a natural fit. I stayed interested in scouting for what it did for me as a youth and wished my sons to experience the opportunities that scouting offered them.

Both sons are now Eagles and I stay active with the troop to help the scouts that are now involved have the best experience possible and learn things that are not taught anywhere else.

Camping, cooking, knots, survival skills are whatI do best ( not that I am good at it but enjoy teaching the skills).

Religion had no bearing in me being involved in scouting. Scouting was the reason.

yis

Speaking of two cents...

I was Christened, baptized, and raised Presbyterian (my eyesight is much better now, thank you). Later transitioned past LDS, others. I am fascinated by Baha'i and UUA faiths. But after reading the posts by Red Feather I feel a strong kindred spirit. I wouldn't go so far as to place myself among druids but I do seek a spiritual peace in what most of us would call 'nature'.

Although I earned the God and Country award, religion had nothing to do with my involvement with scouting.

'nuff of that, I once ate lunch in Cincinnatti at a place called the 'Rib Pit'. Best ribs I ever had, anyone know if it's still open?

But in order to absolutely obliterate the afternoon, I'll take a hefty portion of Southern beef or pork barbecue with lots of sauce, cole slaw, baked beans, corn bread, and sweet iced tea. Man, I'm breaking out in a sweat already!