Religious Affiliation

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Some refer to us as the "Mormons".

CRANEACE:

While I may question the etiquette or relevance of your inquiry, I have no problem answering a direct question truthfully, directly and honestly.

I consider turn about fair play. I have some questions of my own to ask you.

Do you no longer consider yourself a Catholic?

Are you affiliated with another organized religion now?

What is your purpose for writing the research paper you mentioned in another thread?

Do you intend to publish that information? If so, how?

Who is the group you are working with you alluded to in reference to your research?

Are you affiliated with any group or organization that seeks to change the policies of the BSA?

As long as we are asking questions:

Are you homosexual?

Would you like to see girls become members of Boy Scouting?

All of these questions are equally valid to yours.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Some refer to us as the "Mormons".

CRANEACE:

While I may question the etiquette or relevance of your inquiry, I have no problem answering a direct question truthfully, directly and honestly.

I consider turn about fair play. I have some questions of my own to ask you.

Answers:

Do you no longer consider yourself a Catholic?

I am not active in any organized religion, but rather I participate with many friends in different religious activities.

Are you affiliated with another organized religion now? Above

What is your purpose for writing the research paper you mentioned in another thread?

Online class.

Do you intend to publish that information? If so, how? Hadn't thought about that . . . probably not.

Who is the group you are working with you alluded to in reference to your research?

Other students, we split up some of the work to get it done faster.

Are you affiliated with any group or organization that seeks to change the policies of the BSA? NO!

As long as we are asking questions:

Are you homosexual?

NO! and I agree that they MAY not make good role models for boy Scouts, however, I think that they are also God's children and should not be banned from "assisting" perhaps as merit badge counselors in their area of specification or the like. And by the way, homosexuals are women too, I wonder how many women scout leaders are in fact homosexual . . . . and no one knows it because they don't carry on about it half as much as the men do. . . .does it make them less capable . . . . of course not . . . . are they bad examples for boys? For girls? . . . that's a whole other thread I think! Also, as stated before, I don't think that adulterers, cheaters, thieves, unwed mothers, etc., make very good examples for youth boys or girls. But then, would there be a BSA? Or any other large organization?

Would you like to see girls become members of Boy Scouting?

Girls can be members of boy scouting as Explorer scouts . . . . but you knew that! BSA is a private organization. It's board of directors should decide that, not because of pressure from outside sources or complainers.

All of these questions are equally valid to yours.

True you are, but I only asked one question,

but to oblidge now you have the answers . . . .

do you all feel better about the previous criticism posted?

Again, you have more than answered many of my questions by your behavior. Too bad though, you could have just been straightforward and answered or as previously stated avoid this thread.

Do some of you have to put your 2 cents in EVERYWHERE?

This has been very interesting.

I really wasn't interested in your sexual orientation. As you probably realize, I was hoping you would object to the question. While against my better judgment I went ahead and asked anyway, I did so to make a point. I think the question is out of line.

And, nitpicking now (because I really am a little too uptight about such things)...

Girls can be members of the BSA by joining Venturing.

Girls can also join Exploring, but Explorers are not members of the Boy Scouts of America on the terms as a Cub Scout, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scout, Sea Scout and Venturer.

And Finally, you asked:

"do you all feel better about the previous criticism posted?"

You've asked a question that falls along the lines of "Do you still beat your wife?"

If you are employing the second person singular pronoun "you" referring to me specifically, I offered no criticism. Therefore, I have nothing to feel better about.

If the antecedent is intended to mean others as in the case of a second person plural pronoun, I haven't had any particular problem stemming from the comments others have made either. Once again, I have nothing to feel better about.

I'm sure that you are fully aware that you are touching some sore spots. The reactions posted are not all that surprising to me. Scouters are not typically the type to blow their own horn. Rather than pointing out their good deeds or merits to others, Scouting generally relies on the results and their goodwill to speak for themselves. Maybe it is too idealistic for this day and age, but this form of P.R. has held up pretty well for nearly a century.

Given that history and the current political environment, are you really that surprised that Scouters of this forum view your questions with a healthy dose of suspicion?

BTW, I had to chuckle to myself when I read This has been very interesting. I got this little vision in my head of a person being interrogated in a shabby little concrete cell illuminated only by a bare light bulb. No matter what the response, the agent in a black leather trenchcoat sitting at a table writes down the denial in a manner in which makes it seem like an admission of guilt.

Please dont take offense by that. Im not drawing an analogy. The comment just struck me as funny.

A simple question...eh? More like a loaded question. No matter. I have the same background as Ed Mori (raised Catholic, practicing Presbyterian). Although, recently, I have been attending a Methodist church. Bottom Line - I am a Christian, but I don't feel obligated to a particular denomination.

I'm impressed that you answered all of Yak_Herder's questions. However, your ending comments seem to reveal a bias against the BSA and/or Scouters. For the record...if you're not sharing an opinion or an experience on these threads, what's the point? Do you go to bowling alleys and harass the patrons for wanting to bowl all the time? If you don't want to waste your time with people's "2 cents", don't participate in a forum.

I've been reading over many other threads and notice a constant battering of participants by each other . . .

It is my querry as to what you like to eat for lunch to better understand the points of view. Most of us admit that our lunch influences our opinions and personalities for the rest of our lives,

Ill go first. Peanut butter sandwiches are what I like best for lunch.

OGE, right on the mark! Was that a veiled shot at me?! I'm appalled! I throw down my neckerchief - scout knives at 20 paces! Or better yet - wood badge woggles at 50 paces.

Cincinnati-style Chili. I know, I know. What in the world is "Cincinnati Chili"?

Settle down boys, and quit throwing knives at each other - you don't want to lose your Totin' Chip, do you?

Yes, OGE, Cincinnati style chili is reminiscent of cheap ballpark hotdog chili on leftover spaghetti or noodles. My mom had a word for the same stuff - LEFTOVERS! ;-)

Settle down boys, and quit throwing knives at each other - you don't want to lose your Totin' Chip, do you?

Yes, OGE, Cincinnati style chili is reminiscent of cheap ballpark hotdog chili on leftover spaghetti or noodles. My mom had a word for the same stuff - LEFTOVERS! ;-)

Close. Do I detect a disdain for Cincinnati Chili? How about "Sliders" or "Belly Bombers"? That was my close second. (That would be White Castle hamburgers for those of lesser cuisinary experience.) Cuisinary - is that a word?

lasteagle83, would that be a directing or coaching style of leadership?

Have we totally destroyed this thread yet?