Unreasonable treatment by BSA

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, you don't sound like any academically trained researcher I've encountered before. Has your research proposal been shown to your institution's IRB? What is your research methodology? Where is the informed consent? *Who* or What is your institutional affiliation? What has your review of published literature told you so far? What's your sampling method? How bout your hypotheses? You havn't even given us a barebones understandable description of the purpose of your research, thus you're not even close to obtaining informed consent. Go away. Come back when you grow up and have a clue.

Anne in Mpls (Dept. of Family Social Science)

Hmmm, you don't sound like any academically trained researcher I've encountered before. Has your research proposal been shown to your institution's IRB? What is your research methodology? Where is the informed consent? *Who* or What is your institutional affiliation? What has your review of published literature told you so far? What's your sampling method? How bout your hypotheses? You havn't even given us a barebones understandable description of the purpose of your research, thus you're not even close to obtaining informed consent. Go away. Come back when you grow up and have a clue.

"Darn," he said as he kicked at the dust with the toe of his boot, "battle is over and I never even had the chance to draw my sword." :)

Thanks, folks, I expected a bloody one here, but your faith in the BSA sustains me.

CRANEACE -- don't look for an answer to the private message you've sent me. The boards provided an answer for me. I appreciate your well-wishes for my recovered health (it has been,) but I sense your ax to grind and will avoid it as well.

I bid you adieu.

DS

Well, thank you all for critiquing our qualifications and motives.

Just like a dysfunctional family you have attacked the one you don't agree with, rather than you leaving it alone. It is obviously okay for all of you to say and feel what you want about the presentation of this subject, while you believe it is not okay for us to present it.

Your responses show how off task you all are since you have not addressed the subject, any one of you. You have just attacked the questioner. As stated above, if you have this type of info and you want to share, post it. . . if not . .. . move along. . .

Criticism and cynicism only give reason for one to consider sharpening an ax and what a waste of time! This has given great insight into how folks like you think and behave when confronted with a new idea, or perhaps one that is nawing at you, but you are afraid to address. The subject is not necessarily out of place, but the responses are rather intriguing. They make one consider that you all may be the ones hiding something or denying some truth about the organization you belong to.

Another classic example of opinionated thinking of "I have freedom of speech but you don't."

These responses help us a great deal in our research. Thank you.

DS:

What I think this demonstrates is something I have known about this forum, but which some people refuse to "get", and that is this:

ALMOST everybody on this board -- and I mean everybody with 3 or 4 exceptions that I can think of in the 18 or so months I have been posting here -- is fundamentally PRO-BSA. "We" (there's that word again) do not all necessarily agree with all of its policies, but it is OUR organization. We love it. It is part of our lives. It is part of our families. My son is the third generation of Scouts in my family, and my father reached his 65th year in Scouting this year. "We" spend every week doing it, if sometimes only (in my case when I am otherwise occupied) to drive my son to a meeting. We camp in the rain to do it. We send our precious children out to camp in the rain and snow WITHOUT US to do it. And they love it, and they are (without necessarily knowing it) becoming better people along the way.

So here's the point: If someone started a thread (and maybe someone has and I didn't see it) that said: "Tell me how the BSA can improve", I am sure a lot of us would have some ideas to put on the list. In fact, sometimes some of the topics in effect become big lists of how the BSA could improve. Some would list improving the uniform pants, others would list being able to order Scout Stuff over the Internet, some would list getting their council a new registrar, and some would also list having the BSA modify part of its membership policy. (I had to get that in there.)

But when the question is phrased the OTHER way -- tell me all the other things you have ever heard of that were BAD about BSA units and how these things were handled -- I think our collective antennae go up. A lot of us are not interested in jumping on that bandwagon. The BSA is our friend and our family. We want to improve it, not tear it down.

CRANEACE, noone here is denying your freedom of speech, nor is anyone denying you the right to learn what you can. However, you are asking Scouters to tell you their problems with the BSA without telling anything of yourself. You are asking us to do what the BSA does not do: to publicize problems/issues that--if they come about--are handled directly with those people that they need to be handled with. You have passed judgement on those participating in this forum but don't seem to think anyone may question your motives.

njcub,

You took the words out of my mouth, so I'll just leave my reply as.......DITTO!

crane,

No one had heard of Michael Moore until he made "Roger & Me". The people Moore caught on film and made fools of were people who trusted him to be making a serious documentary. He edited the film with his added comments to tilt the whole thing to his agenda. Your asking us to bare our souls without divulging who "we" is or how this information would be used. Most folks here smell a big fat dead rat. Fess up and change your tactics and you "might" get better responses. What you'll find here is a trust factor. I've been around long enough that I could probably ask a leading question and get responses because folks around here know me. Same goes for folks like OGE, packsaddle, rooster, Bob White, dsteele, twocub, njcub, eagledad, etc. You bounce on here and all of a sudden ask questionable questions and expect answers. It don't work that way!