Registration Question

hi guys... me again. This time I have a "technical" question. I am a MB counselor and a YPT administrator. I must be a registered adult leader with BSA to perform these functions. Do I have to be registered with/through a Unit, in particular a Troop, or can I register through my Council and not be part of a Unit at all? I have sent an email to my UC but I know you guys will respond much faster. ;) Our Troop registration is next Wednesday. I need to know by then.

MS

You can be registered either with a particular unit, or you can register as a district scouter. You can register both ways too, but one position will be your primary registration.

Just a note about the Issue & Politics forum; lots of folks don't visit here because of the nature of the topics presented and how passionate the participants can be. You might get more responses by posting in one of the other forums such as Program or Council Relations.

To be a MB Counselor, you do not have to be registered with a unit or district, or council. You do have to fill out an adult application indicating it is for a MB Counselor position. This is then forwarded to your district advancement person to forward it to the council. If you are registered with a unit, you still have to fill an adult application to become a MB Counselor.

I heard from my UC this morning. He says that I can register as just a MB Counselor (no other registration needed), as a Council Member at large, or the usual way, with a Unit. I want to be registered as an adult scouter as well as a MB Counselor so I will most likely go the Council Member route. As I said before, I also do Youth Protection Training for Troop and Pack adult leaders. I'm not sure I could still do that if I registered just as a MB Counselor. Anyone know for sure?

MS

There is no national requirement to be registered in order to deliver YP training. That does not mean that your council could not require it. If your local district or council follow the by-laws you will need to be appoved as a member-at-large by a vote of the committee. This normally takes place once a year during the District or Council recharter process. when the entire list of member-at-large nominees are vote on all at once.

Check with your local district professional for the process in your area.

Bob White

MaineScouter, although you say you checked with your UC, I just want to second Bob's suggestion that you check with the District Executive or other professional in your council office assigned to your district. (My district usually seems to have a District Director but in practice it is the same.) A UC does not necessarily know any more than you (or I) about what position would be appropriate for you at the council level, and how to get there, because that is really not part of the UC's job. (No offense to present or former UC's. There are UC's that WOULD know, but I guess it's like asking a police officer for directions. If you ask for a location in town, he'll be able to help. If you ask for directions to a city 500 miles away, he may know that also, but there are better sources. You could end up where you're going, or you could end up in New Jersey, and we wouldn't want that.)

Good luck.

"You could end up where you're going, or you could end up in New Jersey, and we wouldn't want that.) "

Now, why wouldn't we want me in New Jersey???? Right now, it sounds like heaven to me. Can't I come?? I haven't been this discouraged about Scouting in my 10 years as a registered Scouter. The idea of finding someone who followed BSA training and actually delivered a bit of the program seems an impossibility at the moment.

I have sent an email to my DE. I think he must be on vacation because he's never taken this long to get back to me. I'll try again next week or give him a call. I'll volunteer at the District level if he has a need. He's been trying for years to get me on the District Activities Committee. If you were part of my "star" thread then you know that I have to tread very lightly. My SM is the BIL of the Council President... and the CC is married to the Pres. Anything I say to the DE about why I'm leaving my Unit will most likely get all the way back to the SM. I don't want my son to suffer. This SM is a pro at holding a grudge against a boy.

MS

Members at large be they District or Council are still working members of the District or the Council.

I have just spent a year getting those people who were doing nothing off our distict Charter.

The people that we do have as members at large tend to be people who perform one big task for the district.

We have a Doctor who sponsers our district golf outing. He is not expected to attend the monthly district committee meetings.

IMOHO having people who are not doing anything is wrong.

It is a problem. What do you do with the person who has no place to go?

Members at large can be a great asset to both Districts and Councils, but it is not someplace just to stick a name.

Harsh as it may be if someone can't fit in and there is no place for them, they might want to take a look and see if this is the organization for them.

Eamonn

MaineScouter, you are welcome in New Jersey any time. :)

You said you are a "YPT administrator." What does that position do? Do you schedule YP sessions? Do you supervise the trainers? Collect the fees and paperwork afterward? Or other things? And, are you "a" YPT administrator, or "THE" YPT administrator for the whole district?

Depending on the answers, is it possible that the best place for you is as a member of the District Training Committee? I do not know, however, if being a member of a district-level (or council-level) committee like that is a "registered" position in and of itself. (I can think of at least two people on here who definitely do know, but I am not one of them.) Or to put it another way, everybody I know who is on a district-level committee has some other position, i.e. either unit-level or district-level. My father, for example, has long been an active member of the district activities committee and council high adventure committee, but his registration has always been with his troop.

NJ, you asked what I do for YPT. I go out to the Units to provide YPT. It is offered and it is strongly encouraged that adults get their training at RT. However, not everyone can make that day/time. When a Troop or Pack needs this training, I take it to them. To me, it's not as important where they get it, but THAT they get it. When I hold a YPT training for my Troop (usually after we get our new scouts and again right before summer camp, plus another in the Fall to catch new registering adults) I let the Pack know about it. This June I had the CM call and ask me to run it again... he had parents signed up to go without the training. I did two or three sessions that month. I don't know if there are others like me, or not. I started this about 9 years ago. We've since had many personnel changes at our Council. No one says anything, though, when I show up for more cards and registration papers or when I return the forms to Council. We have an Assistant District Attorney in our Troop. His job is to procecute child abusers. My best training sessions are when he shows up.

MS

There is a district charter.

It is one of my goals; Not to ask people who serve at the unit level to serve on the district committee.

I have a way to go. There isn't a line outside my door with people waiting.

My view is that the district will never be able to serve the units as long as we are taking people away from the units.

The committee chair. can select the people he or she sees fit to serve on the committee and they can be added to the district charter.

We do of course ask them to pay the fees.

The charter is good for a year, so they serve for the year unless invited to return.

In the case of MaineScouter, I have never seen the term YPT administrator used before.

I do think that it would come under District Training.

In our district we have a number of "Ex- Cub Scouters" Who only present Cub Scout Training's that is all they do and they do a really good job.

Eamonn

As former District Advancement Chair, I was ultimately responsible for the Merit Badge List. A person can be registered as Merit Badge Counselor only, it is a district position but there is no fee associated with it. If the counselor is not also a registered in a unit or district /council position (paid a fee), he is only allowed to do merit badges. The big problem to merit badge list keeper is there is no easy way to keep it up. A unit at recharter will drop some one when they dont pay the fee. With no real contact with them by the district and it is a big task to contact 4-500 people, they only get updated when someone takes the time to inform the district. When I took over I found people that were dead , moved away and out of scouting. I also found people listed as Robert, Rob, Bob, Bobby, B.W. etc and each at different addresses but the same last name. Next time you get upset at the Merit Badge List in your district, volunteer to be the keeper.