Eagle Award Recinded

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the Eagle Award is the only Boy Scout rank issued by the National Council of the BSA and not by the Troop, only the National Council can rescind an Eagle Award. Yes this has been done before, but you will not hear about it from the national office first. Only if the former holder of the rank makes the action public will the BSA comment on it. This is done for reasons of confidentiality.

Bob White

The National Board of Review, a group of volunteers and a professional (I think there is just one), would review the circumstances surrounding a request to rescind the award. The Board will talk with any persons they determine is necessary and make a dermination.

Does it take more than a phone call? Yes

Is the parent notified? I am not sure but my guess would, be only of the decision.

Is age a factor? No

But this can only be Done by the National office and no other authority.

Bob White

Dsteele says:

It was not done even in the Dale Case although, arguably, it should have.

Well, I understand you have hedged your bets here by saying "arguably," but just out of curiosity, what would the "argument" have been? My recollection of the facts is that Mr. Dale earned his Eagle, turned 18, registered as an Assistant Scoutmaster with his troop, graduated high school, went to college, and there he "came out" -- in other words, became "openly gay -- all in that order. That being the case, he was not openly gay -- or in the words of the BSA, an "avowed homosexual" when he earned his Eagle. Even if he had been, it is not at all clear that that would be grounds to rescind an Eagle award. But since he was not, that isn't even an issue in his case.

What other reason could there be? That after earning Eagle, turning 18 and becoming an adult leader and then a former adult leader, he sued the BSA? That can't be what you mean, can it?

My recollection of the facts is that Mr. Dale earned his Eagle, turned 18, registered as an Assistant Scoutmaster with his troop, graduated high school, went to college, and there he "came out" -- in other words, became "openly gay -- all in that order. That being the case, he was not openly gay -- or in the words of the BSA, an "avowed homosexual" when he earned his Eagle. Even if he had been, it is not at all clear that that would be grounds to rescind an Eagle award. But since he was not, that isn't even an issue in his case.

NJ,

Obviously, by your interpretation of the BSA policy, you are of the opinion that the BSA has a problem with the openness that some homosexuals might display in regard to their sexuality. The implication being, the BSA believes homosexuality itself is okay or at least tolerable, but public displays or pronouncements of homosexuality is immoral and will not be tolerated. You go on to make the point - since Mr. Dale did not become avowed until after his Eagle award, the BSA should not have an issue with him.

I think your logic is flawed. The BSA has stated We believe an avowed homosexual is not a role model for the values espoused in the Scout Oath and Law. In my mind, they clearly emphasize - avowed, in an effort to underscore their unwillingness to pursue with-hunts and/or play the role of the thought police. Do you believe that there is a moral distinction between an avowed homosexual and a closet homosexual?

Of course I dont talk to BSA professionals who are in the know, on a regular basis. I only have their public policies and my common sense to go by. So perhaps, I presume too much

As an aside, it never ceases to amaze me how liberals (especially liberal lawyers) love to interpret laws by the letter and not by their spirit. It matters not whether a coherent conclusion is drawn or if justice is truly served, the letter of the law reins supreme. I know that there are many who think such interpretations of the law is our saving grace, but Im overwhelmed by the insanity that allows murders, rapists, and child molesters to go free on such technicalities.

Rooster,

The letter and the spirit thing can cut both ways. Would you want someone to follow the "spirit" of the law and say, "I'm not positive this guy killed someone, but he's a bad apple anyway so let's find him guilty and send him tho the chair"? We may not always like the results, but I'd prefer the courts to stick to the letter of the law and apply it evenly to everyone. That is the only way justice can even begin to approach being fair. I'll save the spirit of the law for my personal dealings with other people.