What is Active????

The Webelos as well as the other Cub rank requirements recently changed. I noticed the following in the Webelos requirements

"Active means having good attendance, paying den dues, working on den projects"

I know we have discussed this before but it seems to me that when a boy crosses over the Boy Scouts, active should have the same meaning.

What do you think?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if the meaning changes, it makes Scouting confusing. If Webelos is truly the transition to Scouting, then it should not have one definition of active and then Scouting another *unless* the Scouting definition requires more than Webelos.

Yikes! My 4.5 years as a den leader were a sham! Not once did I collect den dues so I guess I never had any "active" boys and all that received advancement awards did so under false pretenses. Please forgive me.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for the day, Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Ed, you tell us what the handbook says "actively participate" means and then ask any questions as to the parts you do not understand and I will try to explain them. Fair enough?

Bob White

Sorry Ed, I forgot, it's been a couple weeks.

You can find the information on page 169 of the Boy Scout Handbook.

By the way Ed I don't memorize these things, I look them up as needed. The requirement you speak of first appears in the Star rank requirements. So when I look at the requirements page I see it lists the reference pages next to each requirement. In the future this could help you find the correct information on your own. (just another way we learn to fish for ourselves)

Bob White

Bob,

It's not that I don't know how or where to find these things. I don't have a copy oh the handbook at my office where I am right now.

Thanks for being so condescending!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I like that requirement for Webelos rank because it allows me to be upfront with parents regarding the level of participation I expect from their sons - with their help. After all, the attendance rate for fourth/fifth graders is highly dependant on their parents' level of awareness and involvement.

A Special Note To acco40: LOL! I suggest a prostrate confession, complete with sackcloth and ashes, on the floor of your local council office, complete with loud, bitter, anguished cries of "mea culpa! mea culpa! mea culpa maximus!" This would be most effective just prior to your next District Advancement Committee meeting and ought to liven things up a bit, eh? ;)

I'm not Bob, but will this help?

Page 169 of the Boy Scout Handbook:

"Be Active in Your Troop and Patrol

To gain full advantage of all that Scouting has to offer, you need to be present when things are happening. Take part in meetings, in planning activities, and in the fun of adventures. If you're there, you can do your part to make your patrol and troop a success."

The Troop Committee Guidebook mentions being active, but that is it--no definition of any kind. I found the same to be true of the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures and the Scoutmaster Handbook. There is most likely more, but this is what I had handy.(This message has been edited by Laurie)