SUSPENDED DRIVERS LISCENSE

WHY DOES NATIONAL HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT DRIVING SUSPENSIONS ON ADULT APPLICATION. ARE YOU NOT ALLOWED TO BECOME A LEADER WITH A PRIOR SUSPENSION? IF SO HALF OF MY COUNCIL LEADERSHIP WOULD HAVE TO GO. BUT THEN I HEARD THEY JUST ARENT ALLOWED TO DRIVE WITH SCOUTS IN THE MOTOR VEHICLE THEY ARE OPERATING.

Britag,

Consider why a drivers license is usually suspended. In most cases its from Driving Under the Influence or recklessness. Neither reflects the character or moral values expected of a scout leader.

If half of the leaders in your council have suspended licenses than you have bigger problems than even the sages on this board can help you with.

Bob White

PS. Please turn off the cap lock on your keyboard. Typing in all upper case is called shouting and is considered poor manners on the internet.

Bo White is, as usual correct. The question is there and a "Yes" answer is a red flag that merits a further look.

I've had the job of signing those applications for the council since they came out (1988) and I've seen a few DUI's and other suspended liscence "yeses" come through.

Now, I don't consider that one an automatic out. However, I call the Institutional Head, Charter Rep, and Committee chair just to make sure they're aware of it -- in other words, did they notice it when they signed. If they're okay with registering the individual, then I approve it.

If they're using illegal drugs or have ever been convicted of child abuse or neglect, however, it doesn't matter who signed the thing before I saw it. No way, Mr.

DS

Suspened Drivers Liscence??? Is it currently suspended? I would ask questions and not have the aldult dirive the scouts any where. He or she can help in a non driving role.

The second question is how far back are we going to talk about the Liscnce and why? Is it 10 years ago, 20 years, 30 years???

I've been wondering if my suspension is what is holding up my registration. I turned it in back in April and it is now August and no one in my pack or at the council seems to be able to answer what the status of my registration is. In an attempt to follow the Scout oath I was honest and answered yes to the question with a note that it was for too many speeding tickets in my younger years over 15 years ago. I have not had a ticket since that time. My current record is clean as a whistle. I'd really like to find out as I'm paid for attending Wood Badge in about a month. Already have Basic Training, Leader Specific and CPR/First Aid under my belt with IOLS to come this Fall. Heck, I'm pegged as the Committee Chair for the new year. Sure wish the BSA and the Council would get on the stick and let me know something. The training is useful even if I'm not accepted, but I'd sure like to know something and the Council promises to get back to me and never does.

Forget it, kwc57, you've demonstrated that you suffer from bad judgement and are an evil person. Consider your Wood Badge payment as a donation to BSA and never wear your uniform again. On second thought, mail your uniform to BSA so you won't be tempted to wear it. ;-)

dsteele,

I'm giving it one more shot. I called the council registrar and she couldn't find anything. She transferred me to our DE who was away from his desk, so I left him a voice mail. I also sent out CM an e-mail asking him to follow up on it. I'm leaving for a week vacation of "real" camping (not RV camping) and will check back into it when I get back. I'm hoping I can hear the crickets at night instead of the hum of RV air conditioners I'll most likely be wedged in between. I'm bracing for the, "oh look, a tent....how quaint" comments! LOL Hopefully with it being August in Oklahoma and school around the corner, the campground won't be too crowded. I'm taking my 10 year old son to the camp ground my family took annual vacations to 30 years ago. It is his first camping trip outside of Webelos. While I will be using a tent, lantern and Coleman stove, our site will have electricity and water in it. Unlike our scout outtings, I will avail myself of the power and bring a radio and especially a fan for the tent at night. I'm proud to be a Scouter, but I ain't stupid!

What you said, Kwc, about the registrar not being able to find anything only re-enforces my theory. Applications do sometimes get lost. Probably has nothing to do with you. Fill out another one and re-submit. Go to Wood Badge. You'll be just fine. You're following the rules. But there's a lot of paper that crosses throug hteh council office. Don't blame them. Sometimes it gets stuck in a volunteer's briefcase, sometimes it falls behind the De or registrar's desk. Sutff happens.

Simply re-submit and all may be well.

Good luck.

Have a good week with your son.

DS

I recently (last year) found out that my drivers license was suspended. It seems that my daughter, got a whole bunch of parking tickets, and didnt pay them. My name is on the title of the car, so guess whose license got suspended. Stuff happens; just explain your self and every thing will work out.

P.S. guess who lost her license?

If your license was suspended "Years ago" and there has been no problems since, there should be no problem. My new COR filled out his registration form and "Checked" yes to this subject. The story was he liked to street race as a kid and had quite a few tickets to show for it. But that was over 20 years ago. Nothing happened with his membership or registration.

Now, recient DUIs is something very different. If thats the reason for the suspended license there is a safety problem.