A very personal question

The "Agnostic Boy" topic quickly turned into a religious debate. Rooster partly described his experience about how he found religion. Such topics truly interest me and I would like to know more about all of your religious experiences.

I think we can all agree that religion is quite possibly the most powerful force in the world and guides the lives of many. Yet there are hundreds of different religions. Some are very similar and some are very different. The question I pose is:

How did you find your religion? Have you kept the religion you were raised with? Was there a specific moment or person who brought you to your current religion? Have you faced any problems with family based on your choice in religion?

Most people believe that their faith is the "One, true faith." They believe that their God is the "One, True God." These are strong beliefs and should not be formed lightly. I am curious as to where these personal beliefs originated from in your lives.

I hope that nobody thinks I'm questioning your beliefs or that I intend to use this as a platform to attack you and your beliefs. This is genuine curiosity. Answer if you choose. A healthy religious debate is a great thing for the mind and the soul. But please, keep it healthy and civil.

Zahnada, I just replied to Rooster regarding some religious beliefs. I do not consider it a debate, simply an attempt at clarification of Quaker beliefs. I was raised Presbyterian but the Friends beliefs are what ring true to me. I do not consider this the 'one, true faith' as by the nature of the religion 'Friends generally believe that first-hand knowledge of God is only possible through that which is experienced, or inwardly revealed to the individual human being through the working of God's quickening Spirit.'

How did you find your religion?

I am what is called a cradle Catholic, born into the faith and baptised as an infant. I practiced my faith until my late teens and fell away, like so many of all faiths. I returned to the Church in my mid-20's when I started wondering about the condition of my soul. But I still had the knowledge and faith of a child, because I had learned little about my faith and had not grow spiritually since my teens.

Was there a specific moment or person who brought you to your current religion?

Not really a specific moment, I just started wondering why the Church claims and teaches what it does. I started reading a tremendous amount of apologetics and a bit of history and it deepened my faith far more than I was expecting.

One of the truly sad things about religion in the US is the relative isolation of different faith communities when it comes to dealing with moral issues in society. We, Catholics and protestants alike, are too caught up in bickering about our theological differences when we should be confronting issues in our culture and society that threaten us all equally.

I do not mean in any way to trivialize or minimize the very real and in many cases very deep divisions between Christian faiths, only a fool would do that. I do think, however, it behooves us to work a bit more closely on certain issues such as abortion, crime, drugs, and the overall "slouching toward Gammorah" effect that is all too prevalent in American society.

I am what is called a cradle Catholic, born into the faith and baptised as an infant. I practiced my faith until my late teens and fell away, like so many of all faiths. I returned to the Church in my mid-20's when I started wondering about the condition of my soul. But I still had the knowledge and faith of a child, because I had learned little about my faith and had not grow spiritually since my teens.

Not really a specific moment, I just started wondering why the Church claims and teaches what it does. I started reading a tremendous amount of apologetics and a bit of history and it deepened my faith far more than I was expecting.

One of the truly sad things about religion in the US is the relative isolation of different faith communities when it comes to dealing with moral issues in society. We, Catholics and protestants alike, are too caught up in bickering about our theological differences when we should be confronting issues in our culture and society that threaten us all equally.

I do not mean in any way to trivialize or minimize the very real and in many cases very deep divisions between Christian faiths, only a fool would do that. I do think, however, it behooves us to work a bit more closely on certain issues such as abortion, crime, drugs, and the overall "slouching toward Gammorah" effect that is all too prevalent in American society.

blade1158,

As a Protestant, and a former Catholic (born and baptized into the faith like you), I'd just like to say - "AMEN BROTHER!" My heart aches to hear more people speak the plain truth as you just did. If more "Christians" (I put Christians in quotes, because it's so difficult to recognize these folks when so many seem to be oblivious, or worse, apathetic to what's going on around them) would just open their eyes, we'd be better off as a society.(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

Blade & Rooster,

That is why an organization such as BSA is so important. They emphasize the "do good" and "have faith" but don't get caught up in the dogma like so many individuals do.

For example, instead of the pro-life, pro-choice vehement debates (and worse violence), why not emphasize the common ground that 95% of both side agree on and work together to prevent unwanted pregnancies?

(P.S. Blade, if you are going to capitalize "Catholics" you may want to do the same for "Protestants" unless that is your youthful education in the "true" religion coming through!)(This message has been edited by acco40)

acco40,

I have the same thoughts regarding Scouting, we don't gloss over our theological differences, but we realize that there are goals that we can work for together. I've known many, many scouts and scouters over the years of many, many faith traditions and there has never been any friction, we all understand the value of the program and the values we try to reinforce. I believe those values are universal; duty, honor, honesty, etc.

As for the capitalization, no slight was intended, please forgive any misunderstanding, the fault was mine.

As for my youthful education, I think that most denominations teach that they are the true faith. That teaching, however, shouldn't lead to strife, verbal or otherwise, but that is the tragic, unfortunate history of the relations between Catholics and Protestants. We can all discuss doctrinal differences in a rescpectful way that doesn't insult the other party. Rancor produces nothing. The fact is that any apologetic information I may present probably isn't going turn someone into an instant convert. It may, however, produce a little more understanding and, dare I hope, respect. There has been far too much anti-Protestant propaganda from my side and far too much anti-Catholic propaganda on the Protestant side. More listening to one another about what we believe and why can go a long way in dispelling the myths all of us hold and build some respect for each others faith traditions and produce a bit more harmony and cooperation. I know it sounds a little polyanna, but it has worked for me with scouters of other faith traditions.

Again, I appologize for any offense I may have caused.

• 2 weeks later...

Like acco40, I believe that Scouting is a common ground for us to be tolerant of our views in regards to our personal Faith.

AS per Faiths, Christianity has many different denominations. All with its own perceptions or interpretations on the Bible. It's up to us, individually, to decide which one out of many that we are comfortable with. Many decide to choose different denominations throughout their life. Church hopping to find that one Church that appeals to them. Many are with the Church that they grew up in as a child.

Although, each Church or Faith teachs that they are the One True Faith according to their doctrine, and mine is no exception. The only way to answer that is, what is your relationship with God? How well do you know Him?

As for me, I'm a former Roman Catholic. I was a hard core Catholic too. But there was something missing. I asked questions and all I got from the parish priest is "I said so". It wasn't until I was transferred to Germany while in the military that I was introduced to God by a family who took me in as one of their own. They showed me where to find the answers that I sought. 10 years later, I'm currently a Church Core Leader with my Home Church. I'm an Evangelical Christian. I'm an active member of the Assemblies of God Church and I Love being here, doing what I do. Unfortunately, my family had a hard time dealing with it at first. I wasn't trusted as I was used to before. I was ostracized by my family. Guam is majority Roman Catholic. It took my family awhile to come around to even see that I'm a better person than before. I have no regrets, no ill-feelings to anyone, and I Love serving God.

With the BSA as a common ground, I'm learning about other Faiths too. Why they do the way they do it. That way I can understand why they do it. And it makes me understand why my Faith believes in what we believe.

Matua

I was actually born into the Catholic religion. My dad was Catholic and my mom was Christian (Disciples of Christ) But things went wrong before I was baptized and I was raised DOC. So I guess you could say I have been this religion pretty much my whole life! My family had always been DOC and

I have gone to church all my life. I hardly miss a Sunday Worship. But I think the person that really got me going was my great-grandma. I rmember I stayed over at her house every Saturday and went to Church every Sunday!

Me personally I do not think that my Religion is the "One, True Faith" religion. I think that all religions are important and all have something different to give! Yes there is something about each religion that is differeent, but actually we are alot alike. I personally don't think I have ever been taught the Christian (Disciples of Christ) is the " One, True Faith"

I am curious as to what Swordse did to deserve the response he got from the next three posters. Have I missed something? I have to admit the response was troubling. It conjures an image of boys sitting around the campfire. One makes an honest heartfelt statement about his faith. Another boy then ridicules him with a statement about someone wondering if there really was a dog. His toadies join in the fun. Not respectful, not scoutlike, not particularly honorable. Am I wrong?

I was Christened and later baptized in a very old, small country church that had a small, empty balcony. The balcony was originially built for slaves. The slaves were buried outside the church cemetary in anonymous locations marked simply by single stones. I still occasionally visit those hidden and publicly unknown sites. I was later raised in another Presbyterian church. I left due to their openly racist character, the extent of which I discovered during my work towards God and Country. I visited and left Methodists and Lutherans for similar reasons. Southern Baptists, ahem, need I say more? I was further astonished at the unashamed explanation by Mormon missionaries that the negro race could not be blamed for their inferior status... 'nuff said. I respect the RC church for their steadfast and solid principles but I can't accept the doctrine (or whatever) of infallibility (I also choke, so-to-speak, on transubstantiation). These faiths also seemed to roll Judaism in with their condemned but until much later I had no basis for examination of Judaism (result of growing up in the South). I now recognize the rich heritage Judaism offers and I hope to learn more.

I have, however, thoroughly enjoyed my interactions with Quakers (Benjamin Franklin was the first and, arguably, the greatest American scientist). I also respect individuals who pursue the WWJD approach (I wear one of their bracelets as I write these words). I am very sympathetic to the Unitarians (now UUA) for their willingness to stand up for worthy, unpopular causes (the spirits of Thomas Jefferson, Clara Barton, Albert Schweitzer and others also make good company) as well as their inclusiveness and their intellectual approach to faiths of many types. I also very much like the Baha'i and their faith, much similarity to UUAs, accepting, peaceful. I am fascinated by Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism but I doubt I have sufficient years left to fully understand them. My long-time personal faith was begun as a Scout many decades ago in my studies of native American culture and religion. I am still working on it.

I don't consider mine to be 'the one true faith' and I question anyone who does. My family always supported individual rights to choose a faith, no problems. My directions have been determined by a revulsion of religious-based hatred and violence...and a search for a better way.

packsaddle

I did not take it that those 3 messages where intended for Swordse? I took it as a little joke to "lighten" up the tone of the discussion.

Now the question becomes, did I not read enough into the messages?

packsaddle,

I think you're reading too much into it. I appreciated acco40's quip for what it was meant to be - a funny play on words. It never occurred to me that he was trying to tie it to Swordse's previous post. I assumed that he was using the pretence of the entire thread as a catalyst for some humor. My guess is, Swordse was not meant to be a target as you are presuming. So, if you don't mind, please remove me from the "toadies" list.

Now, at the risk of being put back on the list, I want to comment on some of your comments. You deem many faiths as being unmeritorious based on your personal interactions with others. Primarily, you imply that many of these religions encourage racism. In response, Id like to say - Dont judge faith, history, or ideas by those who stake claim to them. Thats unfair by anyones standards. But if you insist on doing so, to remain consistent, you should condemn all faiths. Every faithevery idea has had it share of hypocrites. Belief is more than just words; it must be heart felt and internalized to the point that ones actions reflect ones words.

Later, you go on further to sing the praises of many eastern religions such as BahaI, and contemporary faiths such as Universalism, because they exhort intellectualism and inclusiveness. And in the case of Judaism, you laud that faith because it offers a rich heritage. If your purpose is to find God and His Will for you, I think your search is being skewed by your personal preferences. Whoever God is, Hes cannot be customized to our liking.

He is who He is. Im merely suggesting, ones search for God should be a search for the truth. Truth is not necessarily what we want to hear. To illustrate (and I am not suggesting you must believe as I do), if I could change what I believe (to something more palatable) - there would be no such place as Hell. However, I understand that I am not God. I understand that my ways are flawed by my limited intellect and selfish human desires. While I dont like the concept of Hell, my heart tells me the God of the Bible is the one and only true God. My heart and mind tells me that His Word, the Bible, is true. Thus, I accept some teachings even though they go against my personal desires.

So, you are of course - free to reject my faith and/or any ideas presented by me. Im not judging anyone for rejecting what I claim to be the truth. However, if one is truly searching for God (i.e., the truth), it should not be based on the behavior of others or ones personal desires It should be based on the light of truth It should be based on what God is calling you to believe. One merely has to knock on the door and pray with a sincere heart.