Flying the State Flag of Texas

On another discussion board, one of the posters made reference to the fact that the Texas state flag is permitted to be flown at a height equal to that of the US flag due Texas' former status as an independent nation. The poster also cited the Boy Scout Manual as a reference for this. Two questions, is there such a reference in the Manual and for those of you who have been to a Jamboree, how is is flown when it is with other state flags?

I do not know of any literature called the Boy Scout Manual. There is the Boy Scout Handbook that discusses Flag ettiqette. It says (on pg 44) that the American Flag should be flown either higher than other flags or, if on the same level, in front of or to its own far right of the other flags. When flown with the national Flags other countries, in a time of peace, the American Flag should be at the same height (all foriegn flags should be on their own similar sized poles and the flags should be similar size).

As far as how it is displayed at Jamboree..there are several flag displays ther, I would expect that they would all be done correctly.

Bob White

A quick search of 'flag etiquette' websites confirms for me that all state flags can be flown at the same height as the American Flag, but not higher. They simply have to be hoisted after, and lowered before, the American Flag. There appears to be no precedent nor difference for Texas.

Those dang Texans!!! We Okies are constantly having problems with all of the tall talk our neighbors south of the border like to spout. We are thinking of putting border guards along the Red River to keep them all down there in Baja Oklahoma! ;)

And to think, I married one.(This message has been edited by kwc57)

Indeed. All Colonies were separate entities under the British Crown and, after the revolution, sovereign nation-states. A state flag can be flown at the same height, but if so should not be to the right of the American Flag from the flag's own perspective...just like we do with Troop flags. Of course, as a Texan myself, I have noted many rest stops in the State that fly nothing but the state flag.

There is a line of reasoning (primarily among states' rights-types) that states should fly their flag above the national flag on state capitol buildings, courthouses and offices as a symbol of state sovereignty. I'm not sure if I like the idea or not, but if you are a strict constitutional constructionist, it may appeal to you.