I checked with the Army's Institute of Heraldry, the information on the page that linked regarding the colors of insignis is accurate. Also they have no that shows that silver was more special than gold. However, I did find a heraldry web site (http://www.curransheraldry.com/heraldry.html) that mentions that in coats of arms, when a helmet is included royalty get a gold helm.

Many people believe that there stripes of the flag represent bandages and blood and this is presented as fact in schools, scouts and elsewhere. However, George Washington himself said that the red reprsented the British and the white represented secession.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To further clarify what PinkPajamas said: Girl Scouts does not (well, has not for a very very very long time) had ranks in the same sense that Boy Scouts does.   Girl Scouts have "age levels"   D

That document does not say that a girl must participate in the cookie sale to earn gold award.   The requirment is that participation in both the cookie sale and the fall product sale is required in o

Anytime I feel that I am low on the stress meter, I just remind my wife that I am an Eagle Scout and she only made it to "First Class".

The sofa's not that bad to sleep on.

I can't believe this protracted gold/silver debate. Don't we have real Scouting that needs doing?

scoutldr--your post made me laugh. My husband and I both ended up never reaching our goals in Scouting due to troops folding. So, awards aside, we just go for the boys vs girls issue :) He will not take me up on the challenge to see who can pitch a tent faster--me or him--and I think he's afraid to beat by a girl. Yes, I'm kidding, but I could kick butt when I was in Girl Scouts and we would see who could pitch fastest. It was fun. But I digress...along with all the rest of us on this thread--lol!

I know that this thread is really about the highest Girl Scout rank as compared to the highest Boy Scout rank and not a gold vs. silver debate. However, I did find this (see: http://www.colorsystem.com/projekte/engl/69here.htm)

"The seven elementary virtues include the three theological virtues of faith, hope and charity and the four cardinal virtues of justice, prudence, temperance and fortitude: black represents prudence, blue justice, green fortitude, purple or violet temperance, with gold or yellow representing faith, silver or white hope, and red charity. These seven virtues (three plus four) take the form of a crescendo, commencing with prudence and culminating in charity, the greatest virtue of the Christian faith."

According to the above, silver (argent or white) "outranks" gold (yellow or or) just as hope "outranks" faith. Now this is string to sound like one of those "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" debates!

Now I'm sure just as many other sources may cite the preference of gold outranking silver. The question was asked why silver was placed higher than gold (Eagle palms, military insignia, Cub Scout arrow points (to some), etc.).

(This message has been edited by acco40)

Guess what, the dogs are off to the races, I have two, two mind you references that say at the 1896 Olympics, the first of the modern era, the winners got Silver medals with Gold awarded for second.

http://www.didyouknow.cd/sport/olympics.htm

http://203.10.106.20/sydney2000games/files/modules/63BF7DF2-4224-4A35-AF03B3B732AEEAF2/Olympic_victory_medals.pdf

Somewhere some time silver was ranked over gold

OGE, unless I misread your references, one stated that first place was awarded silver (pre 1904), another that first place was awarded silver and second place bronze (pre 1908). Gold was first awarded in St. Louis (1904) and the now familiar Gold, Silver, Bronze order was not used until 1908.

Thanks for the links!

In Venturing the Silver Award is a higher award than the Gold Award.

Venturing also has the Five different Bronze Awards,Ranger Award,

Quartermaster, and Quest Awards

Whoever reaches the top award in their organization is to be proud of their accomplishment. If others do not know what it takes to get this award tell them about it.

In Venturing the only non B.S.A. awards

you can wear are religious awards. Female youth that earn the Gold Award in Girl Scouts cannot wear it on the Official prefferred but not required Venturing Uniform

Jim

"It may be all well and got to have facts and history on your side OGE, but what does that have to do with the Gold Mother's Star?"

Simple. If the military considered silver to be a higher honor than gold, Gold Star Mothers would be Silver Star mothers.

OGE, as acco40 pointed out, your dogs are suffering from hip dysplasia. Bronze was the second place medal, not gold.

I do find it interesting that anyone would consider silver to be "more pure" than gold when silver tarnishes and gold doesn't.

I don't know about the silent majority on the forums, but I'm getting tired of this thread. No one can simply compare the Gold Award with the Eagle Scout. At least not here. Period. End of report.

I fail to see the need to spend valuable time that could be spent helping someone in real need of it in this pointless discussion of which is more valuable -- silver or gold, gold or silver.

Perhaps I'm just tired and sleep will cause me to jump into this fray once again, but I (at this point in time) fail to see the need for this debate.

The Gold Award is the highest rank a Girl Scout may earn. She deserves high honors for doing so.

Eagle Scout is the highest rank a Boy Scout can earn. He deserves great honor for doing so.

The Ranger (Venturing) is far more difficult to earn and has yet to earn (by it's earner's unestablished behavior) the status of either.

All are great awards earned only by great young people.

Can't we leave it at that?

If you can't, I can.

I pledge to myself that I will not respond to this thread again.

I'm tired of it.

DS

FOG: " "Where does bronze fall into this?"

From my understanding of heraldry (nothing to do with GS or BSA awards), there are only two metals, silver and gold. Bronze does not fall into it at all.