NW Scouter said, "FOG, that's less than one percent of the over 5,000,000 Scouts registered."

According to BSA's web site, there's just over a million Boy Scouts/Varsity Scouts. Maybe if you include Cubs and all Venturers, you might get 5 million but they all can't earn Eagle.

NWScouter also asked, " Here is another knot question when my daughters get around to having kids in the BSA and as leaders will they get to wear a knot for the youth religious award they earned as Campfire?"

Yes, they can wear the knot, they can also wear the medal. The knot is simply recognition for earning an award from outside of the Scouting program. It doesn't matter what organization you belong to when you earn the medal, if any, once you join BSA you may wear the knot.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To further clarify what PinkPajamas said: Girl Scouts does not (well, has not for a very very very long time) had ranks in the same sense that Boy Scouts does.   Girl Scouts have "age levels"   D

That document does not say that a girl must participate in the cookie sale to earn gold award.   The requirment is that participation in both the cookie sale and the fall product sale is required in o

Why compare? Everyone (except Bob) compares nearly everything. Cars, yards, girlfriends, houses, jobs, stock portfolios. It is pretty much human nature. Even if you are happy with what you have now, you want to see what others have for future reference.

Why compare Eagle and Gold? Why not? Most people think of the two programs as being similar so it is only natural that they'd compare the two highest awards.

Maybe if kcolarusso completes her fact finding and can present it, people will have a better understanding of the actual differences and understanding is always a good thing. Sixty years ago, many whites believed that blacks were born with tails. Now we know better.

Well said FOG!! That is exactly what I am trying to do. There is no DUEL, there is not fight. I simply want to be able to answer questions and explaing the facts to those who ask. Once I put together the facts that I gather, I will gladly share them with anyone who is interested!

Why compare? Everyone (except Bob) compares nearly everything. Cars, yards, girlfriends, houses, jobs, stock portfolios. It is pretty much human nature.

Not all human nature is worthwhile. Compare girlfriends? Why if you decide the other person has a better one you will like yours less? How shallow is that?

Compare cars? My boss drives a Jaguar, I have a minivan. I could never haul my camping equipment in a sports car. Just because her car is more valuable does that make my van less valuable to me? It's not like I will trade the van in for a sports car. If she wants to brag about the value of her car over mine that's fine with me, I still like my van.

Now lets compare your girlfriend to my minivan, because that makes as much sense as comparing the Eagle to the Gold Award.

If you decide Eagle is tougher to earn does that make the Gold Award less of an honor for the girl who earns it? Does it make us a beter program? Can a girl change anything to earn the Eagle or a boy to earn the Gold? The only possible benefit is to establish bragging rights. Are we really that shallow?

Bob White

I'm gonna have to agree with Bob on this one. My oldest sister got her Gold Award several years ago. My youngest but still older sister is now working on hers doing a similar project( running day camp). I can only think of one similarity and that is doing a service project.

So Fat Old Guy, what do you want to compare of yours to my website?? Your son??

kcolarusso,

If you think differentiating between the GS Gold award and the BS Eagle award is tough, just wait until you have to explain the difference between the Venturing Silver and Gold Awards and the Girl Scout Silver and Gold Awards ...

Very often, I'm asked; "What award was harder the Queens Scout or the Eagle?"Which Wood Badge course was more difficult? Cub Scout or Boy Scout?

Who has the best fries Wendy's or Burger King?

For the most part we do and take what we are dealt.

I know nothing what so ever about Girl Scouting.

While I wish them all the best will in the world. As the father of only one, who is happy being a male, and me being an old stick in the mud, with nearly 40 years in with the Boy Scouts. I don't plan to start reading up on Girl Scouting, anytime in the near future.

I'm happy to let them do whatever it is that they do, while I'm happy doing what I do.

I feel sure that the Girl Scouts and the Girl Guides all over the planet are doing the best that they can, and just like the Boy Scouts and Scouts all over the planet are doing a good job.

Hey Bob White, check out the size of the trunk (Boot) in that Jag - You could get my Mother-in- law in it !!!

Eagle - Well, I am Committe Chair of our Venture Crew. We have Girls that are still in GS and Boys that are still in the troop. I am not about to touch the differences here! The girls are already asking why the Silver is a higher award than the Gold in Venturing!!!

I will just stick with my original project and prepare myself to answer the questions I am asked!!

Thanks to EVERYONE who has responed with comments and suggestions today. Yes, Even BW. They are greatly appreciated!

Maybe my name is something for you to just not understand. I'm gonna leave it at that because I would like to abide by the Scout Law and Oath. Also, I dont trust you like some people on here who I have gotten to know a little bit better. My name would make perfect sense if you knew the slightest bit about me.

What I said does make sense. I guess though, I better explain it. My website and your son have nothing in common that I know of. The Eagle badge and the Gold Award have soooo little in common as well.

I guess the point of this thread is in its "subject" title. GS Gold vs BS Eagle. It certainly has brought some predictable responses.

The programs don't compare. Their rank programs don't compare. Period. As stated several times prior, make a copy of both program's Gold/Eagle requirements, and give it to anyone who wants it.

kcolarusso,

Your initial request was looking for "facts." The lists of requirements will cover that. Your need for opinions has also been addressed. Since you are asked your opinion almost everyday, give it. And then hand them copies of both rank requirements. Better have plenty of copies.

sst3rd

"The Eagle badge and the Gold Award have soooo little in common as well. "

They actually have quite a bit in common. They are both earned by youths. They both require service projects. They are both awarded by national youth organizations that hold Congressional Charters. They are both Scouting awards. The are both the highest awards for their organizations (okay, we can argue about Quartermaster but that isn't Boy Scouts, it's Sea Scouts). Sooooooo there.