As a member or our Council's Gold Award Advisory Committe and a Committee member in BSA who participates in Board's of Review for BS Rank advancements, I have a question. Has anyone ever seen something that compares the Gold/Eagle requirements? I have looked and looked and cannot find anything. Seems like any comments I find are slanted based on the affiliation of the person making the comments. The GS person always states that the Gold is tougher and the BS person always states that the Eagle is tougher. I am looking for specific facts. I am trying to put something together since it seems like I am asked my opinion almost every day. However, I would like more than just MY OPINION! I would like facts and opinions of others to back me up. Thanks for any comments!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To further clarify what PinkPajamas said: Girl Scouts does not (well, has not for a very very very long time) had ranks in the same sense that Boy Scouts does.   Girl Scouts have "age levels"   D

That document does not say that a girl must participate in the cookie sale to earn gold award.   The requirment is that participation in both the cookie sale and the fall product sale is required in o

My opinion is there is no value to either organization to hold a spitting contest like this. These are two unique program with two unique awards, how can you compare them when they have so many unique elements. This is a contest of personal egos and it disrespects the fine work of both programs.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I agree with BW, Why even try and compare. I have A daughter in GS and son in BS, I hope both stick with it and achieve the respective awards, but I never compare the two.

Everyones opinions will be different. And you know what they say about opinions.

OK, this was my first post to this group and I guess I wasn't really clear!! I am certainly not looking to say one is better than the other. I think they are both wonderful! However, there are differences in the requirements. I have heard GS people say "All you have to do for an Eagle is build a bench". We know that is not true. And then you hear BS people say that 'as long as you stay registered in GS, you get your Gold. That is certainly not true either! I am just looking for something so I can better educate individuals who don't understand the award of the other organization. Hopefully this makes what I am looking for a little more clear!

Lend them a Boy Scout Handbook and 21 merit badge books. Then lend them all the resources for the GS advancemnt program and let them meke there own comparison. Why should you waste your time trying to prove something that doesn't matter to them?

Bob White

Bob -

Why are you SO DEFENSIVE??!!?? I see this in MANY MANY posts that you make. You are missing my point entirely!! I am not trying to PROVE anything, JUST INFORM!!! I have posted this question to many forums and have gotten excellent resonses from many individuals who have understood that the point here is to EDUCATE - NOT TAKE SIDES. I'm not sure why you don't see this!

kcolarusso,

Probably the best thing to do would be to get a list of requirements from the respective organizations and look at them. I have looked at Eagle rqmts many times since they are in my son's handbook, but have never really looked at the Gold Award in depth because my daughter is still a Junior. The Gold Rqmts are:

1.Earn four Cadette and Senior Girl Scout Interest Project awards on topics related to your Gold Award Project. (Found in Cadette and Senior Girl Scout Interest Projects.)

2. Earn the Career Exploration Pin.

3. Earn the Senior Girl Scout Leadership Award.

4. Earn the Senior Girl Scout Challenge Pin.

5. Plan and implement a Girl Scout Gold Award Project that includes at least 50 hours of work.

Welcome to the forum kcolarusso. My first post was ripped up by some people in here. I remember being attacked for one quote in one post that I even explained later in the same post. Goes with the territory.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer much assistance because I know next to nothing about the Gold Award. And I think that statement probably explains a huge difference between the two. Everyone in the country knows about the Eagle Scout Award. I say I'm in scouting and they automatically ask if I'm an Eagle. There are expectations of a person who is an Eagle Scout. Even with all the recent contraversy, I've met people who hate BSA policies but still respect what the Eagle rank stands for. Ever notice that in the news whenever a person saves a life or does something extraordinary they always point out that he is an Eagle? They also mention that fact whenever a person does something that goes against the standards set forth by Eagle Scout.

The same national recognition does not hold true for the Gold Award. Most people do not know the Gold Award exists. They have no knowledge of what the award stands for or what it takes to earn it. And that's too bad. With some quick internet research I discovered that about 3,500 girls receive their Gold Award every year. In 2002, I believe over 45,000 Eagles were awarded. So one is much more rare than the other. More difficult? Impossible to say.

That's all the comparing I can do. I know it doesn't answer your question, but I like to be long-winded. In any case, welcome to the forum. But a word of advice, don't let the forum get the best of you.

I had never heard of the Gold Award until my daughter joined Girl Scouts. Eagle is probably more well known just because Boy Scouts have always had a higher profile than Girl Scouts. Girl Scouts sell cookies and Boy Scouts build sandbag walls in flood zones, or so it seems.

I don't know the specific requirements for the Gold Award but I do like the idea that to earn it, you need to stay involved for a much longer time than you do to earn Eagle.

45,000 Eagles? Wow! That's a lot. However, comparing the two is really apples and oranges. Much more needs to be looked at before you can even start a comparison.

45,000 Eagles. I guess that many of those came from Eagle mills.

I am not suprised that you were not aware of the GS Gold until you daughter joined GS. That is something that needs to be addressed in getting the award recognized as is the Eagle. I believe that one of the reasons is that the GS Gold Award has changed names several times. It was previously known as the Golden Eaglet, Curved Bar and First Class Award. There was recently an resolution passed that will forbid the name being changed in the future. This is just first step but hopefully the Gold will begin to be recognized in much the same manner as the Eagle.

Having been an adult Venture Crew memeber for a few years, I have seen a few of the boys make Eagle in their troop and a few girls make Gold in their Girl Scout troop. Of course, the efforts of those invovled is fodder for late night campfire chat and pre and post meeting debate. From my perspective, the biggest difference seems to be in the project. The Girl Scout must first earn the "Silver" award before she can earn Gold. To earn Silver, she must accomplish a "minor" service project. I say minor because it is usually not on the scale of Gold or Eagle project, I am sure of exceptions. The BSA has nothing like that, the Eagle scout leadership project is the first time the scout will undertake a formal project, troop responsibilities not withstanding. The Gold Project has a certain number of hours the girl herself must put into it, the Eagle does not.

The Gold project seems to be oriented to accomplshing the task, either by herself or with others. The Eagle project is geared to having the boy lead the project and not do it himself. A Gold project may be for the Girl Scouts or Girl Scout property, an Eagle Scout project may not be for a Boy Scout entity or Boy Scout property.

These are my observations, I am not sure if I understand all the intricacies of the Girl Scout Gold, so if I am wrong on particulars, I aplogize, just adding another view.

The matter of which is harder/better, not an asked quesiton but always swirling in in the subtext is dependent on so many variables, I wouldnt hazzard a guess. I would say that those who earn either, by what I have seen, have a right to be proud, and an obligation to help others

I was thinking similarly to Bob White. It might be best to simply offer those who want to know a list of requirements for each award. That takes the personal opinion issue out of the discussion, and insteand relies on facts alone. If, after checking out the requirements, a person wants to pursue discussion with opinions, you have more to work with. My boys are in the BSA, and my husband and I registered as leaders too. I was a Girl Scout. Funny thing about that: the boys automatically assume that they must do cooler things than I did :) What I did as a Girl Scout honestly can't be compared. I vividly remember cake decorating, and I can't see that in Boy Scouts--lol! Now, I also learned knots and how to pitch a tent and numerous outdoor skills. That was a blast, and I've already challenged my boys to see who can do better--a boy or a girl--but they've yet to take me up on that. It's for fun only, and I get a kick out of it. But my recollections of Girls Scouts are that there are far too many differences to fairly compare the two. Each boy and each girl who earns the top award has the right--IMO--to be quite proud of that. Welcome to the boards :)

Our new DE has earned the GS Gold Award. She also worked at hte BSA camp at her home council. One topic we had over coffee was should the BSA allow a knot to show that they had earned it. I would think that are many of our younger female leaders will have earned it. I also know a handful of now and former camp staff and Venturing Crew members have earned it. Here is another knot question when my daughters get around to having kids in the BSA and as leaders will they get to wear a knot for the youth religious award they earned as Campfire? It is the same awards (God and Me, God and Family) as the Cub Scouts earn.(This message has been edited by NWScouter)

I'm not being defensive kcolarusso, I'm urging you to not get in the middle of such a pointless duel. "My badge is tougher than your badge" is not a worthwhile use of volunteer time and resources. This is a battle of pretentiousness and should not be indulged in.

"The GS person always states that the Gold is tougher and the BS person always states that the Eagle is tougher." So What? Does it really matter if one is tougher tahn the other? It's like that bumper sticker...

"My honor roll student can beat up your honor roll student."

Both the Eagle Scout Award and the Gold Award represent the highest rank either program has to offer. Isn't that enough?

What do yo hope to settle by your research? Who will you convince? What difference will it make in either program? How will it effect the quality of your next meeting?

I'm not being defensive I'm suggesting that are more important things to do in both program than this pointless comparison.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)