Your ID. Who really Cares?

Just a note in case someone has some misconception about lemmings. If you were to stand in the tundra during a lemming population boom, you would be lucky to actually see a lemming or two within your search radius. The image of lemmings lunging en masse over a cliff into the sea was popularized by a Disney movie 'White Wilderness'. That image as well as other scenes depicting the results of overpopulation by lemmings were contrived by the film crew. See the link:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.htm

The film crew purchased lemmings from Inuit children elsewhere and imported them to Alberta for the filming. (Alberta is not native lemming habitat) The crew then assembled them on a snow-covered turntable to contrive the 'migration' scenes. The lemmings were then herded over a cliff at a nearby river and into the water.

Back to reality...

Lemming migrations are real and they happen in response to population density and competitive pressures inducing migration to new territories. But deaths are not 'suicidal' and usually due to lack of familiarity with the new territories, or to predators.

Or...perhaps we need a refresher on the Environmental Science merit badge?

I guess I should have left the Lemmings alone, but for the sake of sanity, let me point out that Eamonn brought it up ;)

As to professional scouters and McDonalds, I don't know. The only time I go to McDonalds is to pick up breakfast for the secretaries in our office. I'm more prone to restaurants that serve me meals at my table on a plate and I use a knife and fork to eat. I'm not above going to McDonalds, but I prefer to eat my lunch in a place with flatware.

As to ID -- I'll have to admit that I'm sensitive to it. Two years ago, I opened my Visa bill and $3,000 had been charged to Verizon Wireless. I had nothing to do with Verizon. Never had. With some explaining, fortunately, the credit card company removed the charges. About three weeks later, I got a notice from Verizon thanking me for my new account and giving me the phone number for my new pre-paid cellular phone. The only problem was, I didn't have one of those. I called the number, but the account had already been transferred to someone else.

It was a major hassel to clean it all up. I had to get my credit card re-issued, put a lock on my credit and my wifes that makes us ineligible for "instant" credit (one of us has to be home to accept the loan by phone) and to futz around with the credit reporting agencies to make sure everything was clean.

Eamonn, dear lad, I'm venting about the situation and making a point that we all need to keep an eye out for our good names. It's clear to me that our friend explained his situation to you and that you understand, but I'm just trying to make the point that any sort of identity theft, even if not fiscal in nature, can cause a great deal of harm in a short period of time.

Anyhow, thanks for listening, all.

DS

Ok- The Lemmings.

There was an anti-smoking ad that showed these cute little ctitters diving off a cliff.

While I have never met one, I have never met one that I didn't like.

As for the ad it didn't work, - I'm still puffing away.

Dave.

Sad to hear that you went through all that.

But:

"Can You Hear Me Now?"

"Can You Hear Me Now?"

I bet you are a sprint man.

Eamonn:

I can hear you now.

I could hear you then.

I was, at the time, a Sprint man.

Now I use a council provided U.S. Cellular line and the Scout Executive never calls me on it to yell at me. Which is a pleasant change, BTW.

DS