A wood badger wearing an unauthorized insignia???? GASP!

Out of curiosity, I found the square knot at the following site

http://www.inclusivescouting.net

I also found the following at the same website:

"To be a person of strong character, guide your life with honesty, purity, and justice. Respect and defend the rights of all people. Your relationships with others should be honest and open."

-- The Boy Scout Handbook

"Practice what you preach. . . . The most destructive influence on boys is adult inconsistency and hypocrisy."

-- The Scoutmaster Handbook

Those are the "traditional values" that I was taught, both by my parents and my Scout leaders, and which I try to follow every day.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yak Herder,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Scouting is a great way to bring people from different walks of life together. While we disagree on politics, we do agree that scouting is a wonderful organization and an amazing experience for the boys.

I would like to say that I am fortunate to never have had to "mask" my views. Luckily the issue has never come up around the boys and really I never talk about it with the exception of this forum. Although I may sound pessimistic, I have noticed that my scouting interactions have not changed in the slightest due to the controversy. It's outside of scouts where I see the unfortunate effects.

• 5 weeks later...

I find more than a little irony in seeing a publication of the LDS church vehemently defending the sanctity of one-man-one-woman marriage given their history of promoting both polygamy and child marriage, which I do NOT find acceptable in any way, shape or form, hetero- or homo-, serial or otherwise.

Would I let my son attend an LDS church or join an LDS troop, even as a visitor? Please don't take offense, folks, but NO, NEVER. I do not choose for him to associate with the members of this faith other than casually. Nor do I associate with them other than casually. I'm sure they feel the same way about me, considering the rapid retreats their missionaries have executed when confonted with the three translation of the Bible that I keep handy with highlighted verses that demonstrate why I believe their church to be under a leader who is not Jesus the Christ. (I have the same experience with Jehovah's Witnesses. Of course, they do not join scouting so they are not at issue for BSA. )

So I guess it would be fair to say that I do not find LDS volunteers appropriate role models for my son, and I'm sure there are other scouters in other denominations who would feel the same way. But I haven't left the BSA over their inclusion of this group, just as I haven't left the BSA over their EXCLUSION of a group that I DO think could be appropriate role models for my son (dedicated homosexual scouters).

NOW, do I think LDS churches should be accepted as CO's? YES, absolutely. Do I think they can and should teach their own children their beliefs? You betcha, and given the Great Commission I'm not even adverse to their missionary efforts. I witness IAW my own marching orders. God will sort it all out, thank Him I don't have to.

I just wish that other churches were offered the same consideration, as there are "welcoming" congregations who would and could be excellent CO's were it not for the BSA stance.

" I'm sure they feel the same way about me, considering the rapid retreats their missionaries have executed when confonted with the three translation of the Bible that I keep handy with highlighted verses that demonstrate why I believe their church to be under a leader who is not Jesus the Christ."

What verses would those be?

I don't want to hijack the thread into a religious debate, my point was that although I very, very vehemently disagree with the LDS church on some critically important topics I will fiercely defend their right to be in the BSA. I also welcome Christian denominations not my own, and our Jewish scouter friends and yes, even the UU among us.

I just wish the LDS church (among others, they are by no means the only ones) would offer the same courtesy to others with whom THEY disagree. Local option sounds fine to me, since we already have it in other religious teachings.

This will be my last post in this thread, I hope. I already know I shouldn't have jumped in as these discussions always give me great pain. But for the purpose of helping those who might also want to witness to Mormon or JW missionaries, I suggest you start at www.truthinlovetomormons.com to study a coherent approach. I tab and highlight my Bibles, and write in the margins to boot, as it's helpful to my somewhat damaged brain.

I wonder if SagerScout would have had the same reaction to this article if it were written by a Catholic? (the Pope?) An Orthodox Jew? Or any other "Conservative Religion"?

It seems that he has a "Problem" with the Mormons.

Does he have any "WEB" sites that bash any other religions? (WWJD?) And does his "three translation Bible" support Homosexuality?

I do find it troubling that he would rather have a "Dedicated Homosexual Scouter" be a role Model for his son rather than a LDS (Mormon) Volunteer".

The LDS Church (along with many other major religious & non-religious sponsors) support BSAs Policies because they reflect their own values.

Please do not drag the polygamy issue up, unless you want to drag out the skeletons from other organizations/Churches closets (the Inquisition, Support of the KKK, Anti-Semetism, etc.)

SagerScout could learn from the discussions that Zahnada has with Yak Herder and Bob White and others.

They respect each other and agree to disagree.

I know we can get off thread, but we should respect others beliefs. Just remember what this site is all about, Scouting.

A Scout is Courteous...Kind...& Reverent.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

CR14

"I find more than a little irony in seeing a publication of the LDS church vehemently defending the sanctity of one-man-one-woman marriage given their history of promoting both polygamy and child marriage, which I do NOT find acceptable in any way, shape or form, hetero- or homo-, serial or otherwise."

Seriously? Wouldn't the same train of thought invalidate ANY efforts of the US gov't against slavery in the world today, based on our own earlier history? Mainstream LDS IS monogamous, despite the continued activism of splinter groups and hold-outs. But if any present belief is invalidated by history, whether or not that history has been repudiated, then I guess there's a LOT of change in our country - I thought for the good - that need never have taken place.

?