This is an offshoot from a few threads, how to get the scouts to wear the uniform with pride and a few others. I asked my son what would improve Scouting's Image, and he immediatley said let us do all the things on the banned list, ride motocross cycles, 4 wheelers, jet skis, etc. He sees all the rules we have to follow as making the program weak, I see the rules as necessary for safety and for liability protection for the leaders. He looks at things from a teens view, me as an adult.

So, Can the two attitudes merge? What can adults do to add a measure of "extreme" to the program without costing me my house?

How many kids outside of Scouts get to go rapelling, rock climbing, or white water rafting if they're not in the Scouts? I honestly know more people that do that "extreme" stuff stuff such as motorcross, jet skis, etc. outside of Scouts than do the stuff that Scouts do. You can't appeal to everyone. When the Scouts have asked if they could have a campout for playing video games or other things they normally do at home, I just suggest they stay home if those are the things they really want to do.

Its interesting to note that the few TV comercials I have seen on Boy Scouts show them Outdoor Rock Climbing. Almost all the Venture Literature have a rock climbing picture. At this years University of Scouting, "Climb on Safely" will be persented (required for in or outdoor climbing)to our council for the first time. And then by an invidual devoid of climing skill or ability.

Our troop could be the exception, how many troops actually outdoor rock climb and rappel and not use comercial enterprises?

OGE,

I don't have any idea how many troops do, but I just happened across this today on our local newspaper's website.

http://photos.newsok.com/rappel/

Interestingly enough, one of the scout leaders in the pictures is an old girlfriend's brother. He was active in scouting when we were in high school. I'm not sure if he ever made Eagle or not. It appears that his troop rappels her in Oklahoma. And yes, we do actually have some places here that are not flat.

I guess I phrased myself wrong (imagine that!)

What I am looking for is high adventure that doesnt cost a whole bunch, or am I the one tilting at windmills. We have climbing gyms in the area, but a steady diet of them will cause boredom and an empty wallet. Plus, not everyone wants to climb or rappel. Whitewater Rafting, while a thrill is more expensive than climbing. I am looking for what other troops do to keep high adventure alive without bankrupting the parents, or are these mutually exclusive aims?

I think you would be surprised. One of the adults in our Troop is the climbing/rappeling instructor at Camp Alexander in Colorado during summer camp. He lends himself out to any troop that wants to rappel but doesn't have trained adults. We don't see him much because he's busy pretty much every weekend with some troop from Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. We are in the same District as the unit in kwc57's pictures. I would venture to say at least half of the troops in our District rappel/climb at least once every two years or more. Just off the cuff, I can think of at least five that do it every year.

Barry

Yes, you are correct when you say a lot of the "exciting" stuff is very expensive. Something that really helps the sense of adventure is good old imagination and fantasy play.

Some people don't like the idea of this, but I love to go "bushwacking", where you go exploring through the woods without the help of trails. If you add some hills into the mix, things are even more exciting.

I've been out in the woods a couple of times and somehow, these bad guys drop out of the trees and start chasing after me. Aparently, Dr. No, their evil leader, has realized that Bond is around and is out to destroy him. At that point, I (Bond) go flying through the forest using every tree branch and mind game possible to elude the bad guys. How long has been since I've done this? About two months ago. Even as an adult, this is still fun.

The first time we went night hiking on a campout, the kids in my troop were scared of the dark, but loved it. They ended up making a game out of it where they were spies on a secret mission. I'll have to admit I loved it too. Of course, I didn't tell them that.

My entire point being, you don't have to spend a lot of money for excitement and fun. It does help sometimes, but mainly you just need some enthusiasm and imagination.

whats my name? Eagle, OldGrey...Eagle

Ok, the night hike is an idea and I have just the route, along the Appalachian Trail that we have hiked a bunch, though always in the daylight.

Now A few more ideas like that and I will have what I am looking for.

Now, for your excellent night hike idea, I wont berate you for your total disregard of the Leave No Trace principles, I figure I can leave that up to others

Good point. Our troop has done a few night Troop-o-rees under the James Bond and Star Trek themes. This is basically competing in camporee style scout skills at night. We invite a couple other troops. The events start after a campfire about 9:00 PM and finish about 1 or 2 AM.

We have also did a Triathlon campout where the patrols had to ride bikes, canoe and hike to different events during the day. Our scouts say biking campouts are one of their favorites and our shotgun/rifle shooting campouts are always big. One Venture patrol did a backpacking trip that started from our church and ended five miles away at a local lake.

I guess Chippewa29 is right, Fun adventures can be more of using the good ol imagination. Good post.

Barry

OK, I cant resist putting in my $ .02 on this. Regarding the jet skis, snowboarding, dirt bikes, etc., I suspect that few of the boys who question this actually have the equipment or participate in these activities anyway. Sounds like the grass is greener syndrome to me.

Now, what we do offer:

Hiking, Backpacking, Camping,

Swimming, canoeing, rafting,

Summer camp, high-adventure bases,

Rifles, shotguns, archery ranges,

Pioneering, cope courses,

Major event campouts, Jambos, patrol competitions,

Some interesting merit badges,

And more.

Now, seems to me there is plenty of available sizzle that does not cost anymore than the activities that junior suggested. I think the question might be, how often is the sizzle being served? That should answer your sons comment. Now, sizzle on the cheap, well lemme think.

Not sure if this sizzles enough OGE but I've seen Scouts and SM's on this and we could only get them away by closing shop and leaving.

A waterslide.

We live in a hilly area. A few bails of hay spread to create a rockless drain and a length of builders plastic (50 yards), add a little biodegradable detergent and a garden hose. Now watch your elevation - too steep and some injuries will happen from overshooting at the end. We also allow only one at a time so that no bones are broken.

Bruises and grass cuts are to be expected.

The hay may cost a few dollars but then again can be picked up and used later (for mulch) and the builders plastic etc can be purchased (or donated) cheaply. Check out the range of plastics available. Thin stuff will tear and last one day only - a woven plastic weed mat is best for durability.

Try putting tennis balls in plastic buckets on either side on the way down for added challenge or just go for distance (if the landing ground is safe)(This message has been edited by ozemu)

OGE,

I share your concern about the cost of many of the more appealing activities scouts do. In our Troop, we own rock climbing and repelling gear, kayaks, rifles, canoes, etc. But every single one was obtained after a PLC annual planning meeting determined that the activity was something our boys wanted to try. After the first try, usually with another Troop who could provide the resources, or American Red Cross, or generous dads to lend the rifles, the boys were told that to continue those activities, certain equipment would be needed. In almost all cases, the most interested Scout was designated as the point man, and he investigated equipment options and costs, along with an adult advisor, and made recomendations for the Troop to consider. Once costs were established, existing fundraisers were earmarked for those costs, or additional fundraisers were developed. Scout who wanted to participate but could not / would not do fundraisers were asked to foot the bill out of pocket.

Over 7 years, I'd estimate we developed an inventory of specialized equipment that cost well over $12,000.00. But the boys wanted it, and they recognized they had to pay for it. Works for us.

Mark

a troop with its own rifles, kayaks and canoes and rifles....???

I think our troop has just been playing scouts instead of being scouts!

Our troop inventory consists of a few Chuckboxes, an assortment of pans, lanterns, and pop-ups and a couple of tents. Our best asset is the new shelves just constructed in the new church basement to store them all. (thats just my opinion, after all they are a ticket item for my WoodBadge)

What other equipment do troops own? I would like to show this thread to the PLC

adventure ideas on the cheap?

ok - survival -

Take the boys out to a campsite with deliberately (or accidentally on purpose?) missing equipment. have them set up a survival camp - no tents - just shelter out of what they can scavenge. We recently did this on a winter campout and the boys LOVED it.

Our troop owns it's own canoes and trailers - we plan and doing LOTS of canoe trips, as we spent time last summer getting the boys up to par on their paddling skills. our goal is the Wisconsin river - it has sandbars and islands that are just begging for campouts - they are not "owned" because they move - very slowly, over days, weeks, months - and you can paddle and camp for days on these islands going down this river.

Lots of scout camps have reasonably priced high adventure trips available - have you looked into those?

Caving is also real popular with our boys.

As for troop equipment -

Well it takes awhile to accumulate stuff - and sometimes a troop like ours, that has been around for over 85 yrs, has too much STUFF - and becomes a repository for all the stuff that wasn't quite bad enough to toss, but that people don't want to keep, either!

We have some good equipment; a troop bus, various trailers for hauling bikes and canoes, the canoes themselves - but it is also a problem to maintain and REPLACE that stuff when needed. People get the perception that we have TONS of equipment - since the committee usually doesn't go on campouts - we have had a tough time getting across to them that alot of our "equipment" is junk. For example, our patrol boxes are literally plywood boxes in canvas backpacks - too heavy for one boy to carry - they sit on the ground and get wet and don't pack well - hard to see into them - and the stuff the boys really need - cooking pots, stoves, lanterns - don't fit into them!

We have two HUGE Canvas tents (like the ones they rent for fairs and weddings?) - one of which we use at summer camp - but the thing is so darn heavy it takes about 4 MEN to put it up - and uses big stakes and ropes to hold it up - the boys can't pound them in - the stakes damage the ground (no "leave no trace" here!) and somebody gashes a shin on the things every summer. the new self- supporting shelters are much better!

Right now, we have two old semi-trailers parked somewhere, full of JUNK, on a road thru-way that is scheduled to be built out in the next year or so. The trailers have been there for 10 - 20 yrs and we have to clean them out and get rid of the junk in them AND the trailers themselves. One is supposedly full of FIREWOOD.

It's a mess.

LauraT

LauraT, sounds like it's time for a rummage sale extraordinary. Let me know when it is and I'll come down from Wisconsin.

OGE, my son's troop owns eight canoes and trailer; an enclosed trailer; canvas scout tents; patrol boxes, stoves and cooking gear; several large tents; and misc. gear. The CO provides the troop with a large room in the basement and a parking spot for the trailers.

I'm wondering about the effect on a troop that establish a venture patrol for the older scouts who want extreme activities. Does this retain scouts, or even attract new ones? Do the members of the venture patrol stay involved with the troop or do they go their own way? Does the venture patrol provide troop leadership (SPL, etc), or are they "taking orders" from younger scouts?