Funding And the United Way

With the Pew Charitable Trusts and United Way balking in funding the Cradle of Liberty Council. How the Council going to pick up the slack??

Boy Scout Council That Won't Admit Gays May Also Lose

United Way Funds

Published on 6/26/2003

Philadelphia One big charity withdrew a six-figure pledge to a Boy Scout council after it lost a battle to admit homosexuals, and the local United Way is considering following suit. The United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania said Wednesday that it may yank its annual funding of the Cradle of Liberty Council, the nation's third-largest Boy Scout chapter, because of its policy of ousting openly gay scouts and troop leaders. The charity gives the Philadelphia-based council, which has 87,000 scouts in the city and its suburbs, about $400,000 a year. Pew Charitable Trusts, which had pledged $100,000 to the council, withdrew its offer because the charity seeks to work with organizations that share our values and ideals of inclusiveness and tolerance, said the charity's spokeswoman, Barbara Beck

It's time to fight fire with fire. If the Pew Charitable Trusts & the United Way won't fund the BSA, don't give them your money. Give it directly to the BSA or another organization that embraces the same values you have. Focus on the Family, and Promise Keepers come to mind. If you can't decide, give it to your church.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ditto on not funding United Way. I quit years ago. A comapny I worked for was always big into United Way and wanted 100% participation by the employees. If you chose not to give or were late with your pledge, an HR person came to see you and twist your tail. If you still refused, they would give a dollar in your name so they could crow about their fake 100% My company telling me how to spend MY salary left a bad taste in my mouth. The same company used to "urge" us on how to vote on local and state questions too. Sorry, I have a brain already! I gave over and above my tithe to my church and gave to charities that I had an interest in. That the United Way was an all or nothing plan where you couldn't designate funds made me eventually back away from it. I probably give more to charity on my own than I ever would as a blanket approach like the United Way. My list of "charities" now includes FOS. But more important than the money I give scouting is the time and effort I give scouting.

As far as I know, our local United Ways, are still supporting Scouting.

I know I have said this before, but what the heck.

Somehow a rumor got started that the local United Way, was no longer going to support Scouting. All hell let loose, our local power company Allegheny Power, and it's employees said that they would stop collecting money.

That week there was a Headline in the Greensburg Trib. Saying that they were STILL SUPPORTING SCOUTING.

I still donate to the United Way, but only to be a real pain in the you know where.

My Company is based in Pittsburgh, and are real big into the United Way and we even have our own

Neighborhood Network. I always list that I want my money to go to the Westmoreland Fayette Council not our good friends in Greater Pitt.

This for some reason causes all sorts of problems.

I have had our H/R department call me and ask if they could send it to Greater Pitt. Needless to say I say that is not what I want. Last year it took till August to sort it all out.

From my understanding of the united way, the discussion to support the BSA is left to the Local Chapters. The local chapter that covers the territory that I live in may support the BSA but in the next county may have another United Way chapter and they can do what they want.

Everyone wants to make such a big panicky deal out of what the United Way has done for scouting in the past and how devastating the loss of their funding is.

Well, $400,000.00 from them, plus $100,000.00 from Pew Charitable Trusts, divided by 87,000 scouts, only works out to about a dime a week per scout.

Am I missing something here? Is this really such a big problem? Are there really any boys in our troops that couldn't afford an extra dime or so a week? It sure seems like the BSAs stance on morallity is the right thing to do for the price.

To paraphrase the late great Senator Everett Dirksen

You know, you start talking a 100 thousand here and a couple a 100 thousand there and pertty soon you are talking serious money...(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I'm not trying to be a wise guy or anything, I'm just curious...

How many hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars are we talking about here across the nation, divided by the millions of scouts and scouters?

Not that I'm complaining, but I've never heard where our extra $3.00 a year to national is going. Are they already trying to head this off at the pass? I'm sure they didn't just all of a sudden get a 45% increase in their cost of doing business, and if it had to go up another few dollars a year next year, is that really a problem?

Just curious...