A Different Twist?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funding question (way back at the beginning) reminds me of the lottery winner who wanted to donate someof his winnings to his church (a Christian denomination which I forgot). His church refused on the grounds that they do not condone gambling. IMO, as long as the donations to not buy influence (which is very difficult to prove one way or the other), the BSA should gladly accept all donations to further the cause of Scouting.

Ed, you doubt that a Christian organization would discriminate? Have you read the bible? God is very discriminating in who He allows to be saved according to Christian scriptures.

BSA does not specify which form of religion its members belong, as long as they recognize a higher being. This obviously means it excludes atheists. The Supreme Court has upheld an organizations right to choose its members. Therefore, the BSA has the right to exclude atheists.

I for one do not mind if the government (local or federal) no longer funds the BSA. I would prefer that it did not, so we would not be bound by purse strings to abide by its policies. With the recent Supreme Court ruling the government is getting out of trying to impose values and morals on its people in favor of individuals rights.

In earlier threads we discussed the source of funding at the unit level. What I saw as a general consensus was that the source of funding should be in harmony with the CO values as well as those of the BSA. My feelings are what is good for the goose should be for the gander.

When it becomes apparent (by what ever means, active or passive) that a source of funding at the Council or National level is not in harmony with the values of Scouting then the funds should be politely and respectfully refused. Even if they are government funds. To accept funds from these sources would be a comprise of values.

SM406

Ed,

Many of the private Christian schools in my city began about 30 years ago. They began as a response to busing and integration of our public schools. The Christian schools were very "picky" about who they admitted.

Acco,

I sure would be interested in what scriptures you are referring to when you say God discriminates over who can and can't be saved. Your Bible is sure different from my Bible.

aco40,

God doesn't discriminate. He will accept anyone who honestly in their heart proclaims Jesus Christ their Lord and Savior.

SM406,

Christian schools don't ask for government funding.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10