Has anyone noticed?

Bob White,

You've made me laugh again. I don't know if we've ever had a conversation where we've accurately represented the each other's opinion. I checked your link on the Trail's End Popcorn thread. My comment towards you in that thread was directed towards the issue of fundraising in general and not specifically the popcorn. So once again, we have our conversations crossed.

In any case, I did not mean to offend you in my previous post and it is unfortunate that you took it that way.

I guess we are born to disagree. How unfortunate.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was my son who pointed this out to me. And he has removed his flag from his uniform and replaced it with the correct flag showing the blue and stars in upper left. He was saluted by his commanding officer for noticing. My other son, retired Navy has noticed the same and is a very unhappy sailor.

ASM514

Meanwhile back at the ranch:

"-The US Code does not address the positioning of the flag patch. It is appropriate to wear an American flag patch on the left or right sleeve. When worn on the left sleeve, the union would appear towards the front and the stripes would run horizontally toward the back. When worn on the right sleeve, it is considered proper to reverse the design so that the union is at the observers right to suggest that the flag is flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.

- Since the law does not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear. As many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag, you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorneys office regarding this matter.

WEAR OF THE FLAG PATCH BY ARMY PERSONNEL. HQDA policy is that during joint or multi-nation operations, soldiers are authorized to wear the full-color U.S. flag cloth replica (approximately 2"x3") on utility and organizational uniforms. Wear of the cloth replica is at the discretion of the organizational commander. Soldiers are not authorized to wear the full-color replica upon their return to home station.

The DA policy states that when the patch is authorized for wear, it should be sewn one half inch below the right shoulder seam. If a right shoulder sleeve insignia for former wartime service is worn, the flag patch will be placed one eighth inch below the right shoulder sleeve insignia. The cloth replica is worn so that the star field faces forward or to the flags own right. When worn on the right sleeve, it is considered proper to reverse the design so that the union is at the observers right to suggest that the flag is flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward."

The above information can be found in the link below (a page from the United States Total Army Personnel Command - PERSCOM website:

https://www-perscom.army.mil/tagd/tioh/FAQ/FAQ.htm

Another reason for what ASM514 thinks is a "backwards" display is that the field of blue should be closest to the heart. Think about it.

I leave you now without further comment about baseless assumptions and juvenile behavior here, with my tongue bleeding from biting on it so hard.

May God bless our men and women in uniform and return them safely to their families, friends, and associates.

ASM514, at all

If a soldier that worked for me took the flag off and replaced it with one of his choosing, a salute would be the LAST thing he would get from me. A long and length Butt chewwing spiced with choice words would be what he would get. Then he would change it back or suffer more.

This subject has been beat to death in multiple forums, emails chats, and groups. The military is right on this one

My Son was saluted by his commanding officer for noticing and changing his flag to the proper presentation. How dare you for condemming my son for being a patriot and wanting to be proud of his flag. How Dare You!

ASM 514

I just read U.S. FLAG ETIQUETTE and I stand corrected. But as noticed in this revision, it is recent that the changes have been made. That does not excuse nldscout for his ignorance of flag history and his statement that my son should be punished for his notice of flag history. My son is a Scouter so he knows flag history. His commanding officer noticed and commended my son for his knowledge of history.

You know, I am about sick to death of this "I will enforce on you what I have been told to say" attitude that is becoming more obvious here.

ASM514

Since you admit you and your son were incorrect about the current flag code, then does that not make him incorrect for altering the uniform of the US Military?

In searching the uniform codes of the various services on the internet it seems that each branch has a protocol for their members to follow if they wish to seek a change in the uniform. As a scout and as a member of the military shouldn't your son have been obedient and followed the rules while he took what he felt were the proper steps to change them?

Or do the rules he agreed to follow not pertain to him?

Bob White

Bob, my sons entire artilary unit now where their flags in the correct display with the support of their commanding officer.

My older son,(retired Navy, Rifle Drill team wears their flags the correct way also) I guess they may be traitors to GW also? Or maybe what we learned as Boy Scouts is grounds for treason as well?

You need to lay down and take a zanax.

ASM514

ASM1,

Welcome to the real world. They all think Bush walks on water. Like calves to slaughter, they follow...

I always thought ASM stood for Assistant Scoutmaster. But, with comments like yours and the previous thoughts expressed by ASM514, I'm beginning to think that it stands for something else.

In my world, presumably real, the sky is blue. What color is it in yours?

God bless President Bush and our troops.

May I offer a suggestion? We have once again confirmed the correct protocol for wearing flag patches by the military. The matter is settled. Can we now just move past this thread and go about our business. The thread has turnd political, ugly and just plain silly. We as scouters should be bigger and better than this. I would ask that we just let this thread die and no one else throw their two cents in.

I'll leave you with these two thoughts:

1. Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

2. Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you don't have a leg to stand on.(This message has been edited by kwc57)

Doesn't most of this belong in the "Issues & Politics" forum? Please bring it over there. I personally don't care for the tone around here (not just this thread) lately. Some of us may need take a deep breath and do a little soul searching.