Questions: Maigic the Gathering

I have a couple questions for all of you. I usually spark some responses with my questions even though I rarely ask them. But here goes. Are there any troops or packs that have children who play Magic the Gathering? Do they play on outings? And what are your feelings on this? I am looking for opinions and I promise I will explain why I am asking this once I get some responses to feel out your opinions. I misspelled "Magic" in the subject, sorry.

ASM1(This message has been edited by ASM1)(This message has been edited by ASM1)

If its during downtime on a campout, then its allowed. If we think there is too much cardplaying going on, then its brought to the PLC to add more content to the program.

Most playing is done before meals while the cooks are cooking and the meal is pending.

Ed and Slont,

why would you ban Magic and Pokemon but allow Hearts and regular cards?(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

ASM1; why not ask the rest of the question that you alluded to? Is the question regarding boys playing games of any kind that they provide themselves; or is the question about playing morally questionable games. I am aware that some people prefer that boys not play (in the past Dungeons & Dragons) Harry Potter related games due to the sorcery aspect, or more recently the Yu-Gi-Oh! games. I suspect there are those who are very conservative that would reject regular playing cards.

Posters here might be more specific in their responses if we knew exactly what the question is.

I agree with slontwovvys post regarding Pokman cards, as do most schools and daycare facilities. Highly desireable/high theft items should be left at home.

I agree with OGE, that if there is excessive free time then more activities should be scheduled.

Finally, I played D&D when I was young, and now as an adult I ONLY steal a neighbors cat once in awhile to sacrifice on my backyard alter. ;)

LOL! Ok, here is the rest of the question. You all had great responses but now I really need to hear it. As some of you know my company chartered a troop and venture crew late last year. Well, things have been moving slow in recruitment. In fact the only members of the crew are dual memberships from the troop and that only has 6 members in it. My son came to me with an idea of making the crew themed around Migic the Gathering and go to New York to compete in the national tournament held twice a year. I said hmmmmm, I'll have to think about that. My son already has won the Maryland State championship tournament three times and plays with about 40 kids both girls and boys. I told him I would think about it. Since then we have had 15 kids come to me and expressed an interest in joining our crew if we do this. Sounds like recruitment problem is solved. I just wanted to get the opinions of you all here. Now keep in mind that the summer camp we attend holds a camp wide tournament every year. My son won that also. ;-)

ASM1

I'm not opposed to the kids bringing the cards and playing with them (after all, they have Yuh-gi-oh and Pokemon clubs at our local middle schools). However, the only problems I've had is when a certain Scout won't put them away during a meeting. I don't think they harm each other by playing the game, but I just want to make sure they don't spend too much time doing that on a campout when there are so many other things to do. They can sit home and play with those cards all day if they want.

I have no problem what so ever when someone wants to add to (not replace) the methods of scouting. I have a problem when someone wants to change the aims of scouting.

I don't know much about Yu-Gi-O (sp?) cards, although my two boys play them constantly, but do they foster the scouting ideals, patrols, outdoors, advancement, personal growth, adult association, leadership develpment, or uniform? It all depends in what context. The same could be applied to knot tying. What ideals do tying knots promote? Heck, you could say playing a game with his fellow scouts teaches friendly, courteous, kind, and cheerful behavior. I do know that some of the games teach mentally awake (even blackjack which my 2nd grade daughter discovered, without the betting. A great way to teach arithmetic and when she plays with me, adult association.). So yes the games could be said to teach the scouting ideals. However, they could also teach social isolation if done to excess, win at all costs depending on the emphasis on winning, etc. As with most everything the devil is in the details.

Outright bans always scare me and seem rigid.

This is no hook. It is a tool for recruitment for sure. But a Venture Crew has the options to select themes to base their crew opon. Statewide tournaments only run two months of the year that I know of. All the boys, and girls know if they join that this crew will be attending the White Stag high adventure training in Bloomington Indiana every year with the new members. They will indeed follow the rigors of the scouting program and will be involved in high adventure activities. But their theme will be to form teams to compete when not enduring the activities. We will always make the time for them to form their teams and practice their chosen theme while on these activities. I talked to our DE today and he was thrilled about the prospect and said we may end up with the largest crew in the district. I am optimistic...

ASM1

ASM7,

What....are you lazy?! LOL It is a card game. It seems to be more for older kids and teens than Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh. There are a number of these type card games out now. The cards are collectible and some are considered rare, making them worth more of course. You have to build a deck of your best cards for battles or duels with other players. There are clubs and leagues all over the world. We have a collectibles shop a couple of miles from our house that sells everything from Coca Cola memorabilia to beanie babies to all of the various card games. They have a section of the store set up with tables and have a schedule of certain hours on certain days that certain games will be played. They do a lot of tournament play on the weekends. The place is packed with kids from 5 or 6 into their late teens and even some adults. It could be a great recruiting tool.