Patches on Adult Uniforms

Has anybody had problems with the knots on the uniform?

Those little suckers are hard to tell if they are right side up or not.

I took a shirt in to alterations to add a knot. Must of spent 20 minutes showing the alterations lady how to tell if it was right side up or not.

She smiled and gave the comment "And I thought the military uniforms were complicated."

As for Temp patch. I rotate my vintage 1980 Philmont patch with three other temp patches that have the button loop.

It's a slight pain (but well worth it) on wash day when I have to take off all the doo dads to wash my uniform. There is nothing more painfull then attempting to find the frogs for your name tag in the washing machine.

YIS

Cary P

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This calls for Frog training....

perhaps they could be trqained to hop off before washing & back on afterwards. Has anyone come across bars for locating 3 or 4 devices correctly. I'm considering sewing 3 or 4 tiny holes above the pockets for service stars & name tag. (Kinda like button holes.) I'm also sewing impaired but have taken pride in doing all my own as well as my own shirt ironoing (pressing?) for years. Any ideas???

Have you tried using a plastic template that you'd lay over the shirt, then use the template to align the device? There are companies that make commercial versions of those things for military uniforms. But, you can make one for a Scout uniform with a plastic coffee can lid, an exacto knife, and some patience...

KS

I've never had a problem locating devices on the knots. The knots are stiff enough that the original hole remains in them even after they are washed.

Service stars are a different matter. I like to wear separate stars for all the different levels -- Cubs, Scouts, Explorers and Adult Leader -- getting those suckers lined up and spaced evenly is a hassle. I tried making a template out of clear plastic, but the stars tended to pop off everytime the plastic flexed.

The best solution I've found is to take kahki thread matching the uniform color and sew a small stitch where the stars go. Totally invisible from more that a few inches away, but you can still find them to locate the stars.

How do you inform someone that they are not entitled to wear a knot? I know a scouter who is wearing the knot for the adult religious award. While she just participated in the mentor program while the knot is for the recognition award, i.e. Lamb, St. George, Good Shepherd, etc.

Telling someone that something is not right takes a little skill.

A lot will depend on how well you know the person.

I have to admit that in cases like this, I tend to just smile, shake my head and

"Take Plenty of NO notice !!"

Of course if you know the person well and are sure that you are not going to hurt them, you might have a word alone with them.

Then again you could try being "Sneeky" and have one of your R/T Commissioners cover uniforming at an up and coming R/T.

When I was a District Commissioner, I had an old timer who was real big into this sort of stuff. He was the one that noticed that Her That Must Be Obeyed had put one of the knots on upside down.

When people talk about the "Uniform Police" They are talking about "Old Norm" He would just love to tell someone something like this.

Shame is that he was not a very good Commissioner.

I wonder why ??

Eamonn, There's another way...that's been used numerous times on me: One of the boys points at me and blurts out something like, "Hey everyone, look! Mr. Packsaddle has his lodge flap upside down!" I'm still not sure if these guys are put up to it by some adult but at least I'm not walking around obliviously while people silently condescend. H'mm...or am I? I need to think about this some more.

"Trained" patches, "Quality Unit" patches, square knots I wear them all.

For a long time I didn't wear my "trained" patches because I feel that if I'm going to do a job, I'm going to be trained. I finally started wearing them because I got tired of people saying to me, "You know, you really ought to go to training". Very ironic considering that I'm one of the biggest cheerleaders for training.

What irks me are the people who don't take the time to find out where they need to put their patches. I've seen every imaginable patch in every imaginable place.

BTW, I have a campaign hat and I wear it about once a month. I rotate my campaign hat, expedition hat and beret. The funny thing is that when I wear my campaign hat, new comers assume that I'm in charge.

Welcome Al.

There used to be something that went:

If you want to get ahead get a hat,

If you want to get a hat get a head.

I never did work out what it was to mean. But maybe when you have your hat on your head they think you are - The HEAD ??

It must be late.