Patches on Adult Uniforms

I'm betting ready for summer camp and putting together a new uniform. Got some of the all cotton stuff from national, boy it sure is great. Question is, how many patches? All the knots, just the youth earned ones, or just the eagle(minus Aof L and G&C)? What about a lodge flap vs the little hanging arrow? I know what is "legal" to wear but what do you guys think is "good taste?"

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear my uniform "loaded" with all I am entitled to since I am a trainer and a Commissioner and use my uniform as a tool to show the leaders I work with what is possible. If I didn't have these responsibilities to Scouting, I would keep my uniform simple, Eagle Knot, AOL and Religious knot, OA flap and a temporary patch.

You know, after the fist post-wash ironing, it really stays OK as long as I keep it hung up. The key is to keep a troop t-shirt handy for anything involving to much sweating so I don't have to wash it every week!

I did get the lecture from my wife about doing my own ironing, though, and I wouldn't recomend cotton for the boys.

I really like Shmgren's take. I keep my unit uniform unit patches & a nice temp. insig on the right breast pocket; my Commissioner's shirt has all the trappings including anything that I can use to encourage training or participation (still by the book.) Does anyone think that there is a downside to "overdecorated" district staff? (trainers / commissioners etc.)

When I threw this quote out a while ago I thought it was attributed to B-P himself, my mistake...

"While Scouters may wear the insignia to which they are entitled, a 'total display' may not be in the best taste if theuniform looks overdecorated. Unauthorized... The Scoutmaster who wears only his Scoutmaster emblem, council or community strip, troop numeral, and service star on his uniform is never guilty of poor taste."

(p. 153 -- Scoutmaster handbook, 2001)

I really like Shmgren's take. I keep my unit uniform unit patches & a nice temp. insig on the right breast pocket; my Commissioner's shirt has all the trappings including anything that I can use to encourage training or participation (still by the book.) Does anyone think that there is a downside to "overdecorated" district staff? (trainers / commissioners etc.)

When I threw this quote out a while ago I thought it was attributed to B-P himself, my mistake...

"While Scouters may wear the insignia to which they are entitled, a 'total display' may not be in the best taste if theuniform looks overdecorated. Unauthorized... The Scoutmaster who wears only his Scoutmaster emblem, council or community strip, troop numeral, and service star on his uniform is never guilty of poor taste."

(p. 153 -- Scoutmaster handbook, 2001)

Thanks, Bob58. That is the quote that got me thinking about culling even my lodge flap and extra youth knots. Also, I have to admit that fewer patches makes for a more comfortable shirt

I have different uniforms for different purposes. When working with scouts I wear a knot that reflects my activity when I was a scout, my jamboree patch, a recent activity patch, OA flap, WB beads.

When training I wear 6 knots, mostly training and service related. Jambo patch, Philmont patch, WB beads, district office patch.

For COH or when doing featured speaker stuff I wear what my wife calls my General's uniform. Same as above but add service pins, neck ribbon, WB neckerchief and Woggle, knot pins. I was hesitant to do this at first but was asked to deliver a talk at an Eagle court and the scouts and some leaders were disappointed that I wore a rather bare uniform. They said they liked the dressed up one because some of the awards are not seen that often and they enjoyed it. I don't wear everything, just enough to promote the program and get people to ask "what is that one from?".

I dont put everything Ive received on it and my wife keeps me in line. "It's Ok to dress as a general from time to time" she says "just don't look like the Emperor" :)

I have seen guys who have enough stuff on the front to stop a bullet, and I have no problem with that if it is an appropriate occasion and if the stuff is worn correctly. A lot depends on the attitude of the wearer more so than what they are wearing.

Bob

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Thanks Bob.

I have a cotton long sleeve shirt with nothing execept the BSA and the flag which is my camping shirt, hot or cold, wet or dry. I had not thought of having a general dress shirt for meetings and such and a "General's" dress shirt for the super formal occasions. Good idea and a good excuse for more Scout Stuff.

Is the lodge flap neccesary or is there a more low key to show OA affiliation?

I've got a lemon squeezer but find myself wearing it less and less.

Both my uniform shirts have all five of the knots to which I'm entitled, a jambo patch, OA flap and any one of a number of activity patches I rotate through, depending on the occasion. I like to wear my Philmont arrowhead for special occasions. I also wear a set of four service stars representing the years in different levels of the program. Oh, and a palm on my Eagle knot.

I suppose that's the full monty -- at least it's everything I'm entitled to wear. I like wearing all the fruit salad because it frequently becomes a topic of conversation with the boys and gives me the opportunity to talk about different parts of the program. Working with Cubs, many of them have never heard of Philmont or the OA, so it becomes a good marketing tool to sell them on aspects of the program they can look forward to. Plus, I think it just looks snazzy.

I think it's usually just other adults who sometimes look down on an overdecorated uniform, but I really don't worry about it. On the other hand we have an ADC in the district who is one knot short of the maximum 15 and I'll have to admit that strikes me as a little over the top.

If I were going to pick and choose what I wore, I'd definitely wear the stuff more closely related to the boys -- Eagle, AOL, religious emblem, training knots related to their program, etc.

As a person who is "Sewing Impaired", the stuff that ends up on my uniform shirts, is at times dependant on the mood of "Her That Must Be Obeyed" and if I'm in the good graces or not.

I think that the shirt count is either 21 or 22.

All have the World Friendship Patch, all have our Wagion Lodge Flap, and the Westmoreland Fayette Council Ordinary Council Patch (We have Patches with one word of the Scout Law on. Which are "Awarded ?" For a donation of $100.00 or more)

Most have the current District Office Patch.

Most have the District Award of Merit Patch and the Silver Beaver, along with the Adult Religious Award Patch.

None have the James E. West Patch.

Four have Nine Knots on each, three rows of three.

The Red Wool Jacket has a 1975 World Jamboree Patch on the back, and will one day when I'm in the good graces have the Philmont Bull.

I always wear my beads.

I disike hats, but do have two Campaing hats. Which I used for Wood Badge.

Have to admit that there is a small Heinz Pickle Pin on the collar of the Red Jacket, it has been there for a long time, I don't know why.

I wil at times wear the shirt that best fits the circumstance, but most often will wear the one at the top of the pile.

My feelings on this is "If you have earned it and are entitled to wear it - Go For it."