Removal of family from troop

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original question dealt with procedure in removing a family from a troop. I haven't seen anything relating to unit, but found it in a couple of places in reference to district or council volunteers.

The information can be found in "Selecting District People" #34512D in Section 9. It's also found in the Administration of Commissioner Service manual.

Basically the procedure is to send a letter or make a personal visit. It's recommended that, if doing a personal visit, that it not be done alone.

DS

kwc57

"There have been many threads concerning things like odd colored hair and haircuts and earrings. Many of the leaders say, "not in MY troop"! It is not THEIR troop, it is the BOYS troop and as long as official BSA policy is not being broken, the boys can wear their hair or piercings regardless of whether the adults approve or not."

Yes. I agree

• 2 weeks later...

There was a time in our troop where we did remove and individual from it. Although he was a leader, I think the same process and procedure should be followed.

First off the individual was called to a committee meeting with all committee members attending. They then reviewed his case. Trying to see all sides of the coin. Then it was announced that he was to be ejected from the troop. To keep it quiet with the boys the leader and committee came to an agreement that he leave quietly if the boys ask about the situation of him leaving to just tell them he has decided to go to another troop that needed help... to keep the confusion from the boys and the adults were able to eject the member in a calm manner. none of the boys had suspected he was in trouble.. nor did they ever know. After he left the troop there wasn't much talk about it...

so I hope this post helps a little.

ghostdancer,

This is the kind of information I was looking for! Thank you.

We are still trying to get to the bottom of exactly how it was decided that our family should be told to leave! We have involved the Unit Commissioner and he is looking into it but hasn't gotten back to us. The CR is also in the loop and all she knew was that there might have been a meeting between the CC and the Unit Commissioner where this was decided, but the Unit Commissioner didn't say anything about this when I talked to him. So on it goes....

I would be very cautious about having the entire committee dealing with a situation like this. I think that's just asking for trouble. Unit committees don't have the structure to handle problems like this. You very quickly get into questions of who is really a committee member, who has a vote, who is allowed to present "evidence", etc. This is not a public judicial proceeding and I think a unit takes its life into its hands if it tries to make it one.

We've debated the issue of committee membership and voting rights before. If your unit doesn't have all these details worked out in advance (and I doubt many units do), trying to decide these issues in the middle of a firefight isn't the time to try. You also need to understand the differences between Cub Scout and Boy Scout unit committees.

Ultimately, the Chartered Organization Representative is the one with the authority to decide unit membership. The COR needs to be brought into the situation EARLY. To my view, one of the likely downsides is that a COR with no history of the situation will say, "Shucks, guys, I'm not going to throw anyone out of the unit. Why don't you just try to get along?" Then where is the unit? The COR needs to be brought along so that once the chairman and/or unit leadership asks that the person be removed, the COR is onboard.