New Requirements for Travel

I've heard the same thing, that unless its the drivers son, all youth passengers had to be in the back seat. Made my son happy, as the back seat of a Toyota Tercel fills up fast. But its not new, its a Youth Protection Principle that isnt often talked about.

Maybe because its not real, will be intrested to see how this thread develops

well lets see.

1. Its not in the G2SS.

2. Its not mentioned anywhere in Youth Protection.

3. Its not listed on Tour Permit Info

I would say, 3 stikes for the negative, that means in my book its another Urban Legand.

Chaulk one more up to the Rumor Mill.

Paul

Well, let's see. Scouts with a license are allowed to drive, according to the G2SS. If they can't be in the front seat of a car, how in world could they drive, as they're permitted to do? From the back seat, with prosthetics?

How about pickup trucks? Many don't have rear seats, and they can't ride in the bed...

Common sense can debunk most of these rumors, but then again, many national trends begin in CA, and that's where Ron lives...

KS

I'm a YP instructor and have not seen this in any of the materials. I agree this is probably an urban legend. If it becomes policy, many of us will decide it's just "too hard" and will declare that the parents have to provide their own transportation.

Maybe one of the pros can call Irving and get us an answer?

I don't need to bother risk management with this one. It ain't true. Sorry. No such rule.

There isn't supposed to be one on one contact between youth and adult -- which can be difficult to follow if you find yourself needing to give a ride home to two or more kids from different families and don't happen to have one of your own to be the last kid in the car with you. In that case, it might be prudent to have the youth ride in the back seat. That, however, isn't policy.

Happy travel!

DS -- Assistant Scout Executive

Just to clarify, KS...scouts with drivers' licenses can drive, but not with other scouts in the car,unless they are over 21 and are listed on the tour permit. Many of my scouts are reaching the "magic age" of 16 and are "meeting us there" in there own cars. We usually load them up with troop gear, too!

My question is, when does a scout event end, thus making it legal for a 16 yo to drive another scout? WHat if Johnny says, "my mom says I should just ride home with Steven, who lives next door"?

I asked the same question at Baloo two years ago, but it was with regards to air bag. District trainer told me that there is no BSA rule that restricts the scout from the front seat. It is recommended (as pointed by dan) that we should use our best judgement and good rule of thumb is to follow the Auto makers' recommnedation that no one younger than 13 or lighter than 80lbs (I think) sits in the front seat in car that is armed with air bag. If it is possible to switch off the airbag, then youth can sit in the front seat. If it is not possible to turn off the airbag, then move the seat as far back as possible to minimize the impact when/or if the airbag deploys.

1hour

Just a guess, but my two younger children's elementary school does not allow students to ride in the front seat of any automobile (or van or truck or etc.) during school field trips or outings.

Maybe the "urban legend" came from that source. I'm sure many other school districts have a similar rule.

dsteele, are you saying that if an adult and a youth (not the driver's son) are the only people in a car coming back from a trip, after other youth have been dropped off, that it makes a difference whether the boy is in the front or back seat? It seems to me that it is a violation of YP either way. It probably happens fairly often anyway.

I stand corrected, Barry. The drivers' qualifications are listed on the back of the new Local Tour Permit form. The tour leader must be 21. Drivers must be 18 or 16 if they have 6 months driving experience as a licensed driver, no accidents or moving violations, and permission of the riders'and drivers parents.

I learned something tonight. Don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the policy.