Atheist leader to be expelled from BSA

Merlyn,

Do you spend this much time telling churches to quit discriminating against atheists? In my mind, the government "supports" churches because my donations to the church are tax deductible. Yet, an to join a church you must profess a belief in God, for a Christian church you profess a belief in Jesus as savior and to follow the rules of the church.

Acco40, very well said about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Yet, I don't think the BSA policy on atheists will change in my lifetime (and I plan on living a long time). I have to agree that belief in a higher power is a major part of BSA and has been since the beginning. Also, is the reason many people have their children join. Even though I have nothing against atheists, I'm not sure I want the BSA policy to change.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>Do you spend this much time telling churches to quit discriminating against atheists? In my mind, the government "supports" churches because my donations to the church are tax deductible.

The government doesn't sponsor churches; the government DOES sponsor BSA units. There are atheist groups (and yes, even atheist churches) that are tax deductible, too, so there's no discrimination using your example; atheists and theists are treated equally. But when a government agency charters a BSA unit, they're running a "no atheists" youth group, which is unlawful.

Definition of Troll:

An individual who chronically trolls; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll." Compare kook.

Resemble anyone, hmmm?

In some people's eyes, winning an argument consists of boring everyone to death, and the winner/bore is the only one left standing.

"But when a government agency charters a BSA unit, they're running a "no atheists" youth group, which is unlawful."

And it says this is unlawful where? Since the BSA is a private organization their members must meet the requirements of the organization. Atheists don't so they can't join. The Supreme Court even agreed.!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

ed mori:

>>"But when a government agency charters a BSA unit, they're running a "no atheists" youth group, which is unlawful."

>And it says this is unlawful where?

The constitution. The government can't run a "no atheists" group any more than it can run a "no Jews" group.

>Since the BSA is a private organization their members must meet the requirements of the organization. Atheists don't so they can't join. The Supreme Court even agreed.!

The government isn't a private group; using your logic, the government could run a "no Jews" or "whites only" group using the same technique.

Well, I see most of the rest of you have run out of arguments and are just name-calling now. Typical Boy Scouts. Let me know if you ever want to actually debate the issues.

Merlyn,

Sorry, you're going to have to do better than your reference to Scouting For All. I read it and as I said, this organization has an axe to grind with the BSA. They are the only people I've come across that are claiming these particular coments were made. I watched the atheist scout on TV in several interviews and he himself has never alluded to the comments that S4A is claiming. Plus, S4A's item quotes none other than the authors brother/relative for a spin on scouting and atheism. He really needed to go outside his own family for support of his views. Find me something authoritative to hang my hat on if you want support.

I want to thank red feather for bringing this up in another post, I thought this would be a good place for this also

TRUSTWORTHY

A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on him.

LOYAL

A Scout is true to his family, Scout leaders, friends, school, and nation.

HELPFUL

A Scout is concerned about other people. He does things willingly for others without pay or reward.

FRIENDLY

A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He seeks to understand others. He respects those with ideas and customs other than his own.

COURTEOUS

A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows good manners make it easier for people to get along together.

KIND

A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason.

OBEDIENT

A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobey them.

CHEERFUL

A Scout looks for the bright side of things. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.

THRIFTY

A Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for unforeseen needs. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.

BRAVE

A Scout can face danger even if he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at or threaten him.

CLEAN

A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He goes around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community clean.

REVERENT

A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

Troll dan

"The government isn't a private group; using your logic, the government could run a "no Jews" or "whites only" group using the same technique. "

Then the govt. shouldn't sponsor the units. I think most units will find a sponsor.

sctmom:

>>"The government isn't a private group; using your logic, the government could run a "no Jews" or "whites only" group using the same technique. "

>Then the govt. shouldn't sponsor the units. I think most units will find a sponsor.

That's what I've been saying for years, yet the BSA continues to issue charters to goverment agencies that it knows can't practice their religious discrimination. Not terribly honest of them.

Merlyn,

While I don't dispute your right to post on any forum you wish, I have to add myself to the list of people who wonder why you post here.

You are an Atheist, that is your right under the Constitution, I acknowledge no amount of persuasion, argument, logic, ect. will change your mind.

The people against which you argue are Theists. And no amount of persuasion, argument, logic, ect. will change our minds.

What is it you seek to accomplish? If its your opinion that governmental units can't charter Scouting Units, OK message heard. Obviously that opinion is not shared by many others who post here as well. We will find out who is wrong/right when the class action suit is decided. Some how I dont think my thoughts or yours, or whomever else who expresses an opinion here will influence the decision.

Whenever a religious issue is brought here, I know you will be posting here, as is your right. At times this forum can be arrogant, aggressive and downright nasty, and the rest of my fellow posters are not always "saints" either. Why not open a dialogue, non-confrontational. I would like to know more about Atheists. Were you raised that way, did you convert from some other belief system, why do you feel the way you do. As a Roman Catholic I know not everyone on this board beleives the same things I do, I accept they dont have to. I would like to be able to get an Atheist's opinion on different topics, but at present that seems at the very least difficult. So, what I am asking is can we discuss Theism and the lack thereof without rancor?