leader book and bylaws

I like what several have already said.... no bylaws needed - use Cub Scout Leader Handbook; and not bylaws but rather procedures.

When I was a CC I would send a group email to pack families with the highlights of committee meeting decisions. This became the reference point for new "rules" without having to publish something.

I agree that we shouldn't get our units hamstrung by too many rules, and that BSA doesn't require bylaws. That said, the reality is that each unit is different, and if by-laws help them deliver the program, comply with CO and/or community preferences, and prevent misunderstandings, then draft by-laws.

For example, in areas where families and leaders turn over frequently (such as ours), a document that describes when the annual parents' meeting is, what the troop pays for, etc., is the only real continuity from one year to the next. A previous unit I was associated with used a community center for their pack meetings. The community center required any private organization that wanted to use the facility to have elected officers and by-laws -- a formality, but one that we complied with.

Whether you call them by-laws, a parents' guide, a welcome letter from the unit, or whatever, if a unit thinks it's necessary, they should publish them. If not, then don't.

KS