YOUR SQUARE KNOT ?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great info.

Many years back there was a great adult in our District. Old Fred Jenkins, Fred was in Scouting for many years, and was a Kings Scout.

Fred, was the most knowledgeable person that I have ever met. The only bad thing was that he really didn't like kids. Fred claimed that he could tie every Knot in the Dictionary of Knots, He also claimed that only one knot had been added to the dicionary in the past two hundred years (Fred could tell some great yarns!)He said that this new knot was the Hunter knot.

Has anyone heard of it? And was Fred,telling the truth? Sad to say Fred passed away, thanks to many years of chain smoking. He was one of London Scoutings great eccentrics.

You are talking about the Hunter's bend. It hit the press in the 60's I believe. Later it was discovered that it had been used by others before. But for the life of me, I can't remember now. It is a pretty dependable bend.

One caution, not all of the diagrams I have seen are accurate. When in doubt, consult your Ashley Book of Knots.(This message has been edited by firstpusk)

sometime in the last 2 decades, and probably the past 15 years, Science News had a blurb about some teenager (15? 16? somewhere in there, anyway) who had come up with an entirely brand new knot, unrelated "knotologically" to any other knot.

I can remember NO follow-up invalidating the achievement, and you could possibly look it up at the website, or at a library that keeps WAY back issues...