Last Friday (1/3/2003) a local Scouter was shot, beaten and robbed while loading work equipment in his auto at a downtown Pittsburgh parking garage. This happened at 11 AM. He is my District's Boy Scout Roundtable Chairman. He is currently in critical condition. Please include him and his family (2 kids) in your prayers.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed,

I just read your last post and am sitting here literally teary eyed. My heart and prayers go out to this Scouter and his family. My hope and prayer is that the work he has done and hopefully can continue to do will prevent some kid from growing up to be the kind of scum who hurt him.

Perhaps when this man goes to trial, you guys can organize many, many scouts and scouters to come to court in full uniform. Rotate a different troop or two everyday so the boys would only miss school for one day and have an opportunity to see how the judicial system works. The jury and the judge needs to see who and what this criminal has affected in their community. It could make a difference.

I just got home from roundtable and have some more info.

This Scouter is currently paralyzed from the neck down. He had a trach so he can't talk right now but his speech will come back. According to my info, he is in fairly good spirits. There will be a church service next Wednesday for him & his family. Many of the Troops in our district plan on attending - mine included.

Please keep this Scouter and his family in your prayers.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed,

If you are going to see Mr. Lahoff and his family, on the behalf of the Scouters and Scouts in the Sam Houston Area Council, please send our prayers and thoughts to them. We pray that he will have a speedy and full recovery. Many thanks.

YIS

Long

ps: I challenge everyone on this Scouter Forum and all over the world to continue to contribute and keep filling this thread with well-wishes and prayers . Hopefully, Ed can eventually print it out and forward it to Mr. Lahoff and his family. Many thanks.(This message has been edited by Pack38Scouter)

Ed,

Should your council or his church or someone establish a fund, would you please let us know. Being paralyzed from the neck down is going to be costly for him and his family from now on. I think troops and packs could do a service project by raising funds for his needs. I think it would be a good testimonial to scouting if scouts nationwide took part in helping an Akela in need.

Folks,

I have been copying each post to a Word document to give to Mike when I do see him. That won't be for awhile since he is under tight security. Either our district or council will be setting up a fund for him. I'll let you know the details as I get them.

The police caught the other person involved in this tragic incident.

Thanks for all you prayers & concerns. I know Mike will appreciate them.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1