OGE, it has occurred to me . . .

It's kinda dangerous to re-enact things like this on an internet forum. I don't know OGE, his son, and wasn't there when it happened...very reluctant to pass judgement.

We've all said and done things we regretted afterward; my guess is that this was one of those times for this Scout. The "shared leadership" model we're supposed to be teaching them should give them, among other things, a method of solving problems that they can use in any setting, for the rest of their lives. Not sure I'd want every PL using the same method to get his Scouts to go to sleep. I wouldn't crucify him over it, but would recommend what I think are better alternatives.

We can chase our tails all day over whether this is covered in the GTSS, or if there was any criminal intent, or whether the bag was displayed vs. brandished. Who cares? It's a matter between OGE and his son, and I'm sure he dealt with it. Sure would make an interesting reflection, though, wouldn't it?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KoreaScouter,

I agree. In particular, I agree with the notion, "It's kinda dangerous to re-enact things like this on an Internet forum." My pet peeve with this forum is that many opinions or statements pertaining to a particular circumstance lack disclaimers and are presented with absolute certainty. I would agree with a lot more postings if they were presented with a little more humility. We are not the ones witnessing the event. There is bound to be a number of pertinent facts that are either omitted or glossed over. Furthermore, no second or third hand story will ever communicate body language, attitude, or the history of the people involved. In short, I believe all of our advice should be qualified and offered a little less confidently. By the way, I'm probably guilty of violating my own "pet peeve", so there's no need to throw it back at me. I'm already aware.