How we as humans came to be

I split this off from the God or Country? thead. How did we as humans come to be? For me it is in the bible. God created us & continues to create new humans every day.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I to am a firm creationist. I used to believe in Evoultion as a younger person but after reading books on the theory of Evoultion Vs. Creation I have decided that Creation is the only way for me.

Darwin on Trial by Philip Johnson is a good one to read.

God created the universe. God created each and every species that exists now or has ever existed. Two special humans, Adam and Eve, were given souls and the freedom of choice to listen to God or not. We continue to have that freedom of choice.

No proof has ever been given that one species evolved into another species. Within each species, adaptaption (i.e. development of a characteristic to enhance their survivability) does occur.

Since this is, after all, a Scouting forum, I will just say that one of the great things about Scouting is that there is room in its membership for the opinions expressed above, as well as the full range of other opinions about the origin of mankind and other subjects. Scouting welcomes all who profess a belief in God (capitalization not necessarily required), regardless of whether they believe every word of the Bible, or none of it, or in some other book, or no book. And that's how it should be.

Right?(This message has been edited by NJCubScouter)

Agree with NJCubScouter

I beleive that evolution is a part of creation. God created animals and humans with instincts. These instincts are survival based. We develop abilities or disregard them just like animals. Whether its a cave trout that no longer has vision, a lizard that changes color or the human eye that adjusts to darkness, all of these are types of evolution that are built into creation. Creation is continually happening. As for the Bible, more and more events in the Bible are being proved true by science. But our belief can only be based on Faith which by definition requires no proof.

ASM7,

Don't agree. If you read the two versions of creation in the bible in the book of Genesis you will see no evidence of evolution. The theory of evolution claims animals & humans evolved from a simple life form when the creation states all things were created by God.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed

I didn't mean to lead you to believe I'm an evolutionist. I do believe man was created in God's image. But I do believe that animals evolve to adapt to environments. Ex. snakes of the same species are different colors in different geographical areas. My theory is that all of the different ranges of colors existed originally and the best camo colors survived in that area. In the same respect, humans that live in different parts of the world have different features and colors of skin. Genesis 11 points out that man was made to speak different languages by the Lord and scattered all over the earth. But said nothing about changing their physical features. At the time all the people of the world were descendants of Ham, Japheth, and Shem, the sons of Noah. If we believe this, then these people evolved to adapt to their surroundings. That's the type of evolution that I believe in. As far as humans evolving from a simple single celled animal. I believe thats how we all start out in the womb. So, if you believe that life starts at conception, then yes we do evolve from a simple single celled animal. I also believe that God gave us the ability to think and reason about these things but he also added faith to the mixture so we don't have to know everything. Because only God can know everything.

ASM,

I believe you are describing adaptation, not evolution. A species will "adapt" to their surroundings and gain or lose features. However, evolution teaches that one species can "evolve" into another species.

• 2 weeks later...

"If you read the two versions of creation in the bible in the book of Genesis you will see no evidence of evolution. The theory of evolution claims animals & humans evolved from a simple life form when the creation states all things were created by God."

In the same regards if you read a science book you will see no evidence of God, but likewise that doesn't mean He doesn't exist.

There is room enough in my beliefs to allow for both creationism and evolution; it doesn't have to be either/or. Thankfully Scouting allows for any interpretation of a higher being. Intolerance for other's beliefs, however, has no place in the program.

Intolerance for other's beliefs, however, has no place in the program.

Does that mean Scouters cannot disagree and debate what they believe? I'm a little taken aback by your proclamation. It implies that intolerant statements were made.

mattbib,

I don't agree. I don't want homosexuals in the porgram so I am being intollarable. And the BSA agrees with me. The BSA doesn't permit girls or anyone who refuses to repeat the Oath. Scouting is the be all for everyone.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

"It implies that intolerant statements were made."

No, this was a general statement, no implications made other than maintaining the post's relevance to the scouting program.

"I don't agree. I don't want homosexuals in the porgram so I am being intollarable. And the BSA agrees with me. The BSA doesn't permit girls or anyone who refuses to repeat the Oath. Scouting is the be all for everyone."

You're blurring two different issues; one being the BSA's legal right to ban a population based on its admitted sexual orientation or lifestyle, the other being the toleration of other religions despite one's own beliefs. Your earlier post dismissed others' beliefs in evolution due to the lack of evidence, yet our entire faith and the religious beliefs of others are based on a book completely devoid of proof. The unconditionalitiy of our faith is what makes it so important, and is the same reason why I do not so easily disregard other unproven theories.

My science book (at college I believe, mid '70s) mentioned God/creation as well as evolution. I thought it handled the topic very well. It stated that there were two dominant beliefs for the creation of life/man. Some believed that a higher being (God) created man, animals, etc. and other's believed in evolution/Darwinism. This book will concentrate on the latter.

I'm obviously paraphrasing the book's contents but I thought it was interesting that the science book mentioned creationism (is that a word?).