Statement of Faith

Its Trail Day,

A clarification please. You mentioned that you expect that at a non-denominational event such as most scout functions that the service be non-denominational. Later you mentioned that you expected to hear Christian prayers as well as others, i.e. a balance. To me that is two different things. I don't necessarily equate non-denominational with multi-denominational.

Should a poll be taken of attendees religions? That would be rude in my book. Where do you stop? Let's say I have a Jewish prayer and a Christian prayer. Am I over looking someone else? It is well intentioned but I just don't see that as practical.

It reminds me of a troop meeting we had before summer camp. Our Scoutmaster got up before everyone at the conclusion of our Court of Honor and asked the parents if any of the boys were on medications. Then he proceeded to ask each parent who raised their hand what medication that boy was taking. I just sat there and cringed. Yes, he needed that information for summer camp but I view that information as quasi-private. Not something to be broadcast in front of all of the boys, parents, COR, leaders, guests, etc. Again, it was simply a matter of etiquette in my estimation.

I am not up on the bible like I should so I won't go there.

If there were, in the troop, people of faiths other than christian, I would think that even in what is considered a large troop, someone would know who the others were (We use the Class 3 Medical form and there is a place for religious preference. I always ask if it is not filled in.). But there again, I am only talking about the troop here, I have never been asked to lead a prayer at a scouting function on a larger scale.

As I understand it a non-denominational service would be lacking major elements pertaining to one particular denomination. Multi-denominational would be having elements of more that one denomination specifically. So I guess all the reference material I have found on the internet about nondenominational services actually mean multi-denominational since they have elements from several different religions.

So, when I do a service, it would more than likely be multi-denominational since I would try to select prayers, etc from several diferent religious sources. this seems to be what most people look for. Are they doing one for the christians, jews, hindus, muslims, etc?

But I must say that I have broken my own rule here by posting on a mater of religion. But the tolerance thing got the best of me. I ususally try to stay away.

As I said before, I would welcome the opportunity of more religious diversity, but as I sit here thinking about it, only Christian based churches around here. The others are located in larger population areas, Cincinnati, Columbus, Portsmouth, even. All 60+ miles away.

acco40,

If I ever post that I did something like you have described your SM did (here and elsewhere), Please, Beat Me Up Big time! I will deserve it. Medications are a private thing and no ones business but the boy, parents, SM and maybe ASM's. Some parents will bring this up in front of everyone and I have had to aask them to talk to me privately about it. Bad form!

Rooster7 said:

"I don't think it would be appropriate if the Scoutmaster lectured the Scouts and their families as to the significance of those differences."

Good point, and one that I always tried to keep right up front in my mind, for I knew no more than the rest of the crowd about the differences, and was always learning myself. I never pretended to minister to the troop. That was, as still is, beyond me.

acco40,

In a previous post you stated

"As a Christian, I have to question ..." Why not just state, "I have to question ..."

The reason for this might be because the situation or discussion might not agree with that person's values as a Christian. Does that makes sense?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

acco40

Your question is a good one with no easy answer. I have been at a service that was nondenominational but was so Christian that my Scoutmaster who is RC was taken aback. I have seen a nondenominational service that was so bland no one liked it. I have also seen several where several prayers of all faiths were said. This seems to work. I agree you can't ask what a persons religion. In this area you just can't please everyone. Our summer camp did an RC service, a non denominational and a time for quite refection for all others. This seemed to work.

The answer is try to do the best for everyone. I hope my ramblings made sense.

As a scout leader I think that we should encourage the scouts to express their own views and to make them aware of the spirtual side of their existance. I would much rather hear the scouts talking (praying in their own fashion) with each other than listen to the adults preach to them. Yes sometimes they take a little encouragement; and I am not suggestion to hide your own religious faith, but just like everything in scouting - it is better done by the scouts themselves.

Excellent comment dogau (k9gold). With the boys leading the service it teaches not only reverence but public speaking, confidence, etc. It also lessons the probability of "preaching" IMO.