Stop this Debate in this Forum?

Bubba,

I must have mistaken you with another poster then. My apologies.

As for your disagreement with BW, I'm not trying to get in the argument, rather to point out that if it is a private dasagreement, to please do it in private, not on a public board.

On a more positive front, i spent all day yesterday at camp getting the boys settled in - brought back many fond memories.

YIS

Quixote

BubbaBear, with all due respect, I think we do know what the "general consensus" of readers of this forum is as to whether "this debate" should continue. And your poll has confirmed that result.

Let's look at the votes: As of a few minutes ago, 4 people had voted, yes, stop the debate, and 14 had voted, no, don't stop it. (In the interest of full disclosure, I think I just accidentally voted for a second time, while trying to see the results on a computer other than the one I first voted from. "Cookies" only know from computers, not account names. So it may actually be 4 to 13.) Much more interesting, however, is the fact that 86 people had read this thread. (I realize that this may include multiple readings by some of the same people, but I choose to assume that most of these 86 are different people.) So even if you assume that the voters are also people who post regularly, I think the answer is clear. Those who do not post also do not care enough to vote. They will read whatever is here. They don't seek to control the content of what they read. Maybe we who do post should charge them an entertainment fee or something. But the

point is, they are not "tired" of the debate to the point where they will actually click a form to indicate that they are tired. That is known as an "abstention," or in other words, "whatever the majority of everybody else says is ok with me."

In other words, those who wish to post, post, and those who wish to read, read, and those who wish to do neither, do neither. Is this a great country, or what?(This message has been edited by NJCubScouter)

Rooster says:

I don't WANT to spend hours debating this issue over and over again. It is tiresome. It is especially so when those on the other side chose to ignore logic and force the argument into a never-ending circle.

Or maybe "those on the other side" just don't believe in the Bible you believe, or choose to interpret it differently. As for who forces the argument into a never-ending circle, well, apparently that depends on which side of the circle you are on. (I have seen the same never-ending argument, though mostly in other forums, about "who started" the "gay issue," "gay activists" or the gay-banners. I am sure that was debated here before I got here. Not that I want to start it again. "Who started it" is an argument best left to children, and generally takes on the same childish quality in relation to this subject.)

So, why do we debate this topic? Personally, I do so out of conviction.

Really, did you list that conviction on your application to be a Scout leader?

That was a joke. I do crack myself up sometimes.

I'm not going to sit on the sidelines as certain individuals attempt to brain wash folks into believing that BSA is doing something wrong or immoral.

Ooooooh, brainwashing. Brainwashing? I did not know I had that power. Believe me, if I did, I would use it for more constructive pursuits than an Internet forum. And why is it that you think you are stating facts, while the other side is doing brainwashing? Could it be that we are all just stating our opinion? (No, I guess, to you that's not possible. But that's why I think you do more harm than good to your cause among the non-posting readers. I do miss DedicatedDad, because I think he was even "better" at that than you are.)

I have not started the threads on the homosexual debate.

Well, I looked down the list and you did start one, "Disturbing News from NY," which started out as a repost of a news article, but in your first post you included some anti-gay comments. I will let you go on the second one, "What Really Matters?" because that one is really about how you weren't going to post about this issue anymore. (That was in February, and I am not picking on you about it, because I have almost posted about 10 times how I am not going to discuss this issue anymore, but held back because I figured I wouldn't be any more successful than you have been at "resigning.")

NJ,

Okay...I'll give you that I did start one thread - Disturbing New from NY (forgot about it). As for my short-lived sabbatical in February, although it's embarrassing (because I couldn't stay away from the forum as I claimed I would), one can hardly count that as a homosexual thread. I merely mentioned it among others as an important issue worth fighting for.

I'll even admit that the "brainwashing" comment might have been a little over-stated.

As for the rest of your post, it's not worth the cyber paper it's printed on. ;)

You know...I have no idea if I'm doing "my cause" harm or not. I'd like to think you're wrong. Whatever the outcome, I honestly can say this - I believe what I am saying is right - intellectually and morally. If you feel the same, I guess we'll always agree to disagree. In the meantime, I intend speak the truth as I know it. If you think I'm being abrasive or un-Scout-like, I'll just have to live with it.